Dark Angel Forums

FOX (ended 2002)

Why did Dark Angel get cancelled?

seanconery

[21]Aug 24, 2006
    • level: 10
    As with most every tv show the seasons get better as they go along.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

historylover20

[22]Aug 24, 2006
    • level: 28

Clemontine wrote:
    seanconery wrote:
    Clemontine wrote:
    I prefer season 2. The first season was too much about stuff that was irrelevant to Max's life. Lots of helping Logan. Thats all good, but season 2 was more intense and interesting because there was always some immediate threat, and a lot more relevant episodes. Also the new characters, Alec and Joshua, spiced things up a bit. In season one Max was either with friends to goof around, or with Logan to be all mysterious. There was more variety in season 2 because of them. We saw heart with Joshua and honest frustration with Alec. And of course there is the unique relationship between Joshua and Alec. The only things I didnt like about season 2 was the absence of Lydecker and the "love bug".
    I agree with everything you said except for Joshua. But I hate how it ended, it makes me so mad Fox ruins everything, including Firefly.
    Nice to know I'm not the only season 2 fan.

I'm also a fan of season 2. I mean, you've got to like Alec!

Kat

enctv

[23]Aug 26, 2006
    • level: 14

morgul_lord666 wrote:
    I think that Season 1 was way better, but I wouldn't call season 2 a trainwreck.

It was the story line of season 2 that made it a trainwreck, the acting had improved, but the characters were still kind of general and not that deep.  If there had been more character development, even with the bad storyline it would have been better.  The only thing about the characters were that they were more horny in season 2.  But I would have liked to know what the main Max and her perfect DNA was about.

enctv

[24]Aug 26, 2006
    • level: 14
    historylover20 wrote:

Clemontine wrote:
    seanconery wrote:
    Clemontine wrote:
    I prefer season 2. The first season was too much about stuff that was irrelevant to Max's life. Lots of helping Logan. Thats all good, but season 2 was more intense and interesting because there was always some immediate threat, and a lot more relevant episodes. Also the new characters, Alec and Joshua, spiced things up a bit. In season one Max was either with friends to goof around, or with Logan to be all mysterious. There was more variety in season 2 because of them. We saw heart with Joshua and honest frustration with Alec. And of course there is the unique relationship between Joshua and Alec. The only things I didnt like about season 2 was the absence of Lydecker and the "love bug".
    I agree with everything you said except for Joshua. But I hate how it ended, it makes me so mad Fox ruins everything, including Firefly.
    Nice to know I'm not the only season 2 fan.

I'm also a fan of season 2. I mean, you've got to like Alec!

Kat

Yeah you do have to like Alec 

Clemontine

[25]Aug 27, 2006
    • level: 23
    enctv wrote:

morgul_lord666 wrote:
    I think that Season 1 was way better, but I wouldn't call season 2 a trainwreck.

It was the story line of season 2 that made it a trainwreck, the acting had improved, but the characters were still kind of general and not that deep. If there had been more character development, even with the bad storyline it would have been better. The only thing about the characters were that they were more horny in season 2. But I would have liked to know what the main Max and her perfect DNA was about.

More horny? I was actually disappointed in that lack of another episode with Max in heat.

seanconery

[26]Aug 27, 2006
    enctv wrote:

morgul_lord666 wrote:

It was the story line of season 2 that made it a trainwreck, the acting had improved, but the characters were still kind of general and not that deep.  If there had been more character development, even with the bad storyline it would have been better.  The only thing about the characters were that they were more horny in season 2.  But I would have liked to know what the main Max and her perfect DNA was about.

I of course agree the acting got better and frankly the writing improved too. But what exactly was it about the story line that was bad? As I have said before I thought that Joshua was a bad charcter because if you want deep characters he's for sure not going to be one of them. I liked that they actually assembled a story arc in season 2 and they really did start developing Logan and Max's characters.

jxsilicon9

[27]Aug 29, 2006
    I agree Alec was a good comic relief. But not enough to like the trainwreck of season 2.

seanconery

[28]Aug 29, 2006
    jxsilicon9 wrote:
    I agree Alec was a good comic relief. But not enough to like the trainwreck of season 2.

Seriously, season 2 was not a trainwreck. I wish you people would stop saying that. It wasn't perfect, but it was still an improvement over the first season.

Darth_Dave

[29]Aug 30, 2006
    • level: 20
    Season 1 was perfect, Season 2 was awful it became way too out there and that’s what killed the show more than anything, hell Jessica Alba herself said that season 1 is the true Dark Angel.

It should have stayed about Max looking for the other 11 X-5’s that escaped and then bringing down Manticore not her looking after the freak of the week that lived in the Manticore basement like Mermaids, Half Dogs, Half Lizards it became kind of lame and the ratings dropped.

seanconery

[30]Aug 30, 2006
    Darth_Dave wrote:
    Season 1 was perfect, Season 2 was awful it became way too out there and that’s what killed the show more than anything, hell Jessica Alba herself said that season 1 is the true Dark Angel.

It should have stayed about Max looking for the other 11 X-5’s that escaped and then bringing down Manticore not her looking after the freak of the week that lived in the Manticore basement like Mermaids, Half Dogs, Half Lizards it became kind of lame and the ratings dropped.

I have to agree some of the stuff was a little out there, but no more so than the entire premise of the show. And obviously season 1 was building to the season 2 arc. If you really think about it there were only so many episodes they could make out of the 11 X5's without it getting repetative.

Clemontine

[31]Aug 30, 2006
    Darth_Dave wrote:

Since when is JA the official word on the show? She's just an actor. If you got that from one of the writers or JC, then maybe it would matter.

Darth_Dave

[32]Aug 31, 2006
    [This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
    Edited on 08/31/2006 2:40am

Darth_Dave

[33]Aug 31, 2006
    Clemontine wrote:
    Darth_Dave wrote:

Since when is JA the official word on the show? She's just an actor. If you got that from one of the writers or JC, then maybe it would matter.
    Since Jessica Alba was the star of he show I would think she would know a bit about what the writers wanted for future episodes and seasons.
    Plus Fox is the one who wanted the direction of the show changed from season 1 not the writers and producers.

Clemontine

[34]Aug 31, 2006
    In the commentaries and Special features, the writers and producers seemed pretty proud of season 2.

seanconery

[35]Aug 31, 2006
    Clemontine wrote:
    Darth_Dave wrote:
    Because she's Jessica ****ing Alba.

magenta_witch

[36]Sep 3, 2006
    • level: 7
    I just wish I knew what happened next, even if it was just a book rather than a TV program.

leesha_27

[37]Sep 4, 2006
    • level: 17

morgul_lord666 wrote:

totally agree!!

leesha_27

[38]Sep 4, 2006
    • level: 17

magenta_witch wrote:
    I just wish I knew what happened next, even if it was just a book rather than a TV program.

there are actually two books that continue the dark angel path ...

"skin game" carries on from season 2 and i think the other is called "after the dark" but im not too sure. that book was based on ideas the writers had for season 3.

i haven't actually read them but i've heard about them. 

yeayeaitswho

[39]Sep 5, 2006
    • level: 1
    what is really ashame, is that these shows(this one, angel, and a bunch of others) dont do so good when they are on, but for some reason take off in syndication. I never watched these shows, but i found em on syndication and really like them. To bad they cant find a way to resurrect shows out of synidication if they are doing well and put them back on. I guarantee that if u put some of these shows back on the air they would get monster ratings from the old and new fans.

soapieaddict23

[40]Sep 11, 2006
    • level: 18
    I'm sorry, but that stupid virus storyline just killed me. and not because 'oh no, logan and max can't be together' because 'omg.. this is possibly the lamest, most cliched storyline in the history of the planet' - ok, maybe going a bit far, but in the history of good shows, it is. i loved the addition of alec, he rocked, but i was sad that we didn't see any more of the x5s - i bawled my eyes out when zach and tinga died. and i always wanted to meet jondy. still, the second season (although i havent seen it all, ive just watched the berrisford agenda) is not as good as season one. turning lydecker into a good guy did not do it for me, and i didn't like white as a bad guy. still, it was still a great show overall, and some series have off seasons - season four of angel was like torture for me, bar the ever classic Spin The Bottle - and im sure that if dark angel was given a third season it would've improved.