Dark Angel

Pilot (2)

Aired Unknown Oct 03, 2000 on FOX

• What an atrocious show! I'm never, ever tuning in to this again.

First off, Jessica Alba clearly can't act her way out of a paper bag. I don't know which is worse: the often cringeworthy and sometimes downright laughable voiceovers or the way she walks around screwing up her face trying to look "cool". The only result of the latter is that she's pulling an extremely arrogant and punch-worthy face all the time, which makes her incapability of delivering any believable lines stand out even more.

I was really eager to see how they would work out this premise. The combination of genetically enhanced children/post-apocalyptic misery future was a really promising one, and also a brave one at that. And that's probably the reason I'm so hugely dissapointed with this one. If it had been yet another run-of-the-mill, feisty-girl-discovers-she-has-special-powers-show I wouldn't have had my hopes up so much. It infuriates me more that they totally screwed up such an interesting idea. The show could easily have become amazing if they'd have given it a better lead (and better writers for that matter). Better to not have high expectations, I guess.
  • Great finale of the 2 part pilot.

In this second part of the pilot episode we get to see how Max and Logan’s relationship begin to develop. The character Lydecker reminds me of a father figure trying to bring in all his children home. The way that he does it is a bit overboard but he has his own motives and he believes in how just his cause is. Logan use of the internet to bring his message out is a noble cause and cost him his life savings to do so. In the end you see the duo of Logan as the brain and Max as the brawn of their quest to inform all.