Dark Shadows Forums

ABC (ended 1971)

Anybody own the dvds?

chaosrainz

[1]Feb 6, 2008
    • level: 17

I was just trying to get some prices on Amazon but there look to be different versions of sets available and I was wondering if anybody could tell me the difference?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

TesserT

[2]Feb 13, 2008
    • level: 78

Hope this helps a little.

1225 episodes aired - they are numbered up to 1245 because ABC in those days assigned episode # to days when the series was preempted - DS was preempted 20 times thus there are episode # up to 1245.

All episodes were issued on VHS from 1989 to 1995.

Episodes 210-1245 (Barnabas' arrival through to the end of the series) were released on DVD in 26 Collections from 2002 - 2006.

Episodes 1-209 were released beginning in 2007 under the title of Dark Shadows: The Beginning.

Edited on 02/13/2008 6:01am

wildhoney66

[3]May 18, 2008
    • level: 13
    & yes i won some of the sets. vol. 1,2,17-22.24-26 & as the previous poster said. the begining vol. 1 or as i like to call it vol. 27. which is episodes 1-40 i believe. my suggestion is just price shop. amazon IS having a sale last i heard soo take advantage of that my friend.

JWGucciEnvy

[4]Oct 9, 2008
    • level: 10
    I have vol 1-11.

maudlynn

[5]Feb 4, 2011
    • level: 2

I was surprised that as of early 2011, the entire Dark Shadows collection was holding steady at about $500. I thought I might find it on ebay for far, far less. But no.

I was pleased toread on this forum thatit was available on Net Flex in case there are missing DVDs in my library's collection. Lately there has been a rash of DVD thefts from the library and I hope no Dark Shadows have been spirited away.

Although I think the Twilight series would a more likely target.

Regardless, I hope the DVD thieves suffer a harm that renders them incapable of further theft.

wildhoney66

[6]Jun 18, 2011

they can keep their "Twilight" dvd they stole i have since gotten more in my set. i now have 1-10, 17-22-24-26, & vol 1. for the first #35 episodes.

wildhoney66

[7]Jun 18, 2011

i forgot to add that's i think about half the show now.

maudlynn

[8]Jul 4, 2011
    maudlynn wrote:

I was surprised that as of early 2011, the entire Dark Shadows collection was holding steady at about $500. I thought I might find it on ebay for far, far less. But no.

I was pleased toread on this forum thatit was available on Net Flex in case there are missing DVDs in my library's collection. Lately there has been a rash of DVD thefts from the library and I hope no Dark Shadows have been spirited away.

Although I think the Twilight series would a more likely target.

Regardless, I hope the DVD thieves suffer a harm that renders them incapable of further theft.

maudlynn

[9]Jul 4, 2011

maudlynn wrote:

These miscreants should be thrown from Widow's Hill into the crashing waves below as the Dark Shadows theme music plays in the background. Yes, that would be appropriate punishment.

(The previous post by me was a technical malfunction.)

Scandal2000

[10]Jan 19, 2013
    • level: 7

I do. There are a couple of different packages through MPI but which set you get doesn't really matter since they go in order. I would just go with the cheapest you can find for a certain collection such as Dark Shadows DVD Collection 1 (you will see too different covers/versions). It is the same episodes (40 in each collection). My suggestion is to pick which ones are the cheapest.

skippercollecto

[11]Feb 17, 2013
    • level: 15

Thank heavens for Kathryn Leigh Scott's books and her episode guide! It was from those that I was able calculate which episodes I wanted, by number and date. It's the episodes about David and Hallie and their bodies being taken over by two identical children from the past, and then David and Hallie are trapped in a dollhouse.

Why did I want these?

In August 1970, I started fourth grade. My classmates had all started watching DS so I decided to watch it too. I saw a week's worth of episodes, with the last one about David and Hallie being possessed. Then my mother told me I couldn't watch the program any more because it was scaring my younger sisters.

WHAT HAPPENED TO DAVID AND HALLIE????!!!! That question bugged me for decades. I didn't get the answer until decades later, when I finally saw the following episodes on SciFi. When I heard that Dark Shadows was being released on DVD sets, I figured out which ones were from late summer 1970, and that set was the one I bought.

walrus_8463

[12]Mar 2, 2013
    • level: 59

I have been ordering my Dark Shadows DVD sets off eBay. I have the 6 beginning sets and the 6 sets after them. Each set contains about 35 episodes and I have been getting them for around 21 dollars.

maudlynn

[13]Dec 26, 2013

skippercollecto wrote:

In August 1970, I started fourth grade. My classmates had all started watching DS so I decided to watch it too.

How very familiar. The intro music takes me right back to that childlike state I was in. Music and memory must be connected like smell and memory.