Dark Shadows Forums

ABC (ended 1971)

Johnny Depp to do Dark Shadows movie!

2003sush

[21]Feb 29, 2008
    • level: 1
    In my opinion, most things Johnny Depp does are good. He is quite versatile and has been able to transform himself in a variety of roles. He certainly would not be the first actor I think of being Barnabus, but just to be able to see some of the charactors I loved so much is exciting. Does anyone have any idea when this might come out?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

TesserT

[22]Mar 5, 2008
    • level: 75
    2003sush wrote:
    In my opinion, most things Johnny Depp does are good. He is quite versatile and has been able to transform himself in a variety of roles. He certainly would not be the first actor I think of being Barnabus, but just to be able to see some of the charactors I loved so much is exciting. Does anyone have any idea when this might come out?
    Still in the talking stages - no new reports about this endeavor since Jul/Aug 2007

asrealasitgets

[23]Apr 26, 2008
    • level: 7
    He would be great for the part!

jws44

[24]May 26, 2008
    • level: 2
    Johnny Depp playing Barnabas is a done deal that we will, like it or not have to live with. I personally think that he will do Barnabas Collins Justice since he has been a fan all his life. My greatest concern is that the New Dark Shadows movie is going to be a remake of the House of Dark Shadows and not something new. House of Dark Shadows sucked because they killed off Barnabas and many of the main characters. If that doesn't happen this time I will be happy.

TesserT

[25]Oct 4, 2008
    EW.com
    Two long-discussed Depp projects appear kaput for now: Shantaram, based on a novel about a heroin addict's adventures in India, and the movie version of the '60s vampire soap Dark Shadows, a childhood favorite of the actor's.

TheDiamondDog

[26]Oct 5, 2008
    • level: 61
    Yeah, too bad the movie is not gonna be made. I was looking forward to it.

wildhoney66

[27]Dec 29, 2008
    • level: 13
    i hadn't heard this yet. & i'll have to look on other DS boards. thank you for the news though. even if it IS bad NEWS ya know?

jawsthecabbie

[28]Jan 20, 2009
    • level: 15
    Jonny Depp does 18th and 19th century characters quite well, and he's one hell of an actor! I think he can pull it off, I wouldn't put it past him!

polykos

[29]Mar 8, 2009
    I hope he does a good resemblance of the original Barnabas. If they make him too different than he's not Barnabas. I also think a movie alone is not enough, they should remake a Tv series.

TesserT

[30]Jul 5, 2009
    Parade Mag had a clip that Jonathan Frid (original Barnabas) may do a cameo in the planned big-screen remake starring Johnny Depp - so maybe the movie is happening after all. There's also talk about it at the 2009 Dark Shadows Festival site.

TesserT

[31]Apr 16, 2010
    SciFi Wire Dec 2009 Confirmed: Johnny Depp's Dark Shadows to begin in 2010

...director Tim Burton and star Johnny Depp are making a feature film version of the classic 1960s gothic TV soap opera Dark Shadows, and producer Graham King now confirms that the film will shoot in the fall, with Depp to play broody vampire Barnabas Collins.

"We're actually going to shoot that film next September/October [2010] with Tim Burton and Johnny," King said in a group interview...

TVGuide April 12-18 2010 edition: production will start at the end of 2010...everyone involved wants Frid to do a cameo!

SusanGfeller

[32]Jun 8, 2010

You're kidding me!!! Who is he playing, Barnabas?

TesserT

[33]Jul 18, 2010
    Variety: WB moves on Depp's 'Shadow' - Tim Burton expected to direct vampire pic

Warner Bros.' long-simmering Dark Shadows has taken a step toward reality with the signing of Seth Grahame-Smith to pen the script.

Johnny Depp has been attached to star [as Barnabas] and produce with Graham King's GK Films for the past three years (Daily Variety, July 27, 2007), with Tim Burton expected to direct. Richard Zanuck, Christi Dembrowski and David Kennedy are also producers.

Depp obtained feature rights to Dark Shadows from the estate of Dan Curtis, the producer-director who created the vampire soap opera ...

Studio hasn't set a release date for the bigscreen project, but it was included in a deal, announced in late April, between Imax and WB to release up to 20 WB films in Imax format through 2013.

TesserT

[34]Nov 14, 2010
    Latest from EW mag: Johnny Depp, playing Barnabas Collins, and director Tim Burton are slated to start production on the big screen adaptation April 2011.

TesserT

[35]Jul 14, 2011
    reviewonmovies: things are moving along

... Gulliver McGrath to play the role of David Collins

... Burton has his sights on Michael Sheen to play the boy's father, Roger Collins

... Johnny Depp heads a cast that includes Michelle Pfeiffer, Bella Heathcoate, Jackie Earle Haley and Eva Green, with Helena Bonham Carter also expected to join. Seth Grahame-Smith wrote the script.

... still doesn't have a release date

wildhoney66

[36]Jul 17, 2011
    • level: 13

yes it does, i think it it's May 12th of next year. or the 22nd? either way it's going to come next May.