Dark Shadows Forums

ABC (ended 1971)

why did it end

strop0909

[1]Dec 30, 2006
    • level: 5
    I think dark shadows caould have been one of the soaps that lasted almost forever, people still love it today, so did the ratings drop or what? Maybe they ren out of storylines or something, what do you think
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

AtlantaGuy

[2]Jan 14, 2007
    • level: 3
    I think it just played itself out... from what I hear, Jonathan Frid didn't want to play Barnabas any longer (hence the Bramwell character), the general public was burnt out on DS (there had been the show as well as two motion pictures), and they were just running out of stories to tell.

Ah well... guess the positive thing is that the cancellation allowed the show to later become a true cult classic. 

strop0909

[3]Jan 22, 2007
    • level: 5

AtlantaGuy wrote:
    I think it just played itself out... from what I hear, Jonathan Frid didn't want to play Barnabas any longer (hence the Bramwell character), the general public was burnt out on DS (there had been the show as well as two motion pictures), and they were just running out of stories to tell.

Ah well... guess the positive thing is that the cancellation allowed the show to later become a true cult classic. 

Yeah, if it would hav ekept going people may have gotten tired of it. Bit I was watching an old interview with the woman who played Maggie and sh edidn't understand why it ended, she said the ratings were at their highest when she left.

AtlantaGuy

[4]Jan 22, 2007
    That would be Kathryn Leigh Scott. She's a great sport about the DS thing and always finds the most positive angle on just about everything.

daisykelly

[5]Jan 30, 2007
    • level: 10
    I use to watch Dark Shadows and I loved the show.  I always had a theory about why it ended.  Soap operas were big back then, and women stayed home.  A very popular one called Another World came on at 3:00 for one hour.  When it was over, the teenagers and younger crowd had the tv.  They decided to have a spin-off of Another World (Another World Somerset), which came on at 4:00, the same time as Dark Shadows.  Everyone watched it, and since this was a time of only one TV in the house, the mothers won.  I started to hear the program was too violent, when all along they were happy to have their kids sit down and out of their hair while they cooked supper.  Remember, this was a different time than what we live in now.  As soon as this program came on, Dark Shadows went off, and I was mad.  I always blamed Another World Somerset for it's being canceled.

SatHizFakShon

[6]Apr 4, 2007

IT USED TO COME ON AT 3:30PM, IT HAD A TEEN AUDIENCE SO IT WASN'T A TRADITIONAL SOAP PER SAY, YOU HAD TO RUSH BACK FROM SCHOOL TO CATCH IT, AND IF YOU MISSED IT THERE WASN'T ANY VCRS BACK THEN TO RECORD IT, AND IF YOU MISSED IT YOU WERE LOST BECAUSE QUENTIN WENT PSYCHO EVERY OTHER WEEK AND TOOK ON A NEW PERSONALITY.  

THEN WE ALL GREW UP AND DID THE TIME WARP ALONG WITH THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW

Mad_Buck

[7]Jun 18, 2007
    • level: 79
    strop0909 wrote:

AtlantaGuy wrote:

Ah well... guess the positive thing is that the cancellation allowed the show to later become a true cult ****c.

Yeah, if it would hav ekept going people may have gotten tired of it. Bit I was watching an old interview with the woman who played Maggie and sh edidn't understand why it ended, she said the ratings were at their highest when she left.

Actually, the ratings had slipped considerably. That's why the network canceled the show. The suits in the programming department probably felt that the show had played itself out.

goosegirl829

[8]Jun 19, 2007
    • level: 8
    yeah, im 13 and my older sis and i watch this show like all the time, because my mother was a big fan when she was little, and we have almost all the dvds. were at the part where barnabus discovers the other universe. but yeah we'd be watching it from 8am.-10am. the next day. hehe. i just love this show

suitelife96

[9]Jul 16, 2007
    • level: 7
    i love this show but why did it leave the air! like nelly furtado why do all good things to end!

goosegirl829

[10]Jul 17, 2007
    • level: 8
    haha, yeah seriously!

suitelife96

[11]Jul 17, 2007
    • level: 7
    boo hoo.

timetravel60

[12]Jan 8, 2008
    • level: 2

Toward the end, the story lines were getting rather far fetched, even for DS. The beginning of the end was the first parallel time

story line. It seemed as though the writer was really digging deep for material in the last year of the shows running. Changes in

story line would drag on for what seemed to be an eternity. I could skip an entire month and really not miss anything. Dark

Shadows was at it's best from 1967 up to the end of 1969 when Barnabas returned from 1897, then the Leviathan thing began.

It just seemed to lose momentum. Like anything new and original, eventually the novelty wears off.

TesserT

[13]Feb 12, 2008
    • level: 75

from Widipedia:

By early 1971, with an economic recession causing a sharp dip in advertising revenues and a record-high number of soaps (much more expensive to produce than game or talk shows) on the networks' daytime schedules, ABC decided to cut costs by weeding out supposedly unproductive programming. Despite its relatively high ratings (and, at that time slot, station clearances) and low production costs, Dark Shadows fell victim to the purge mainly because of its young audience, who usually did not make decisions about the purchasing of household goods and food products for the family, which were the two chief industries that bought airtime on daytime television in that era. Practically no other daytime show skewed so much under the 18-35 demographic threshold as Dark Shadows did.

It was replaced by Password (reality TV) which was cheap to produce.

wildhoney66

[14]May 18, 2008
    • level: 13

i think THAT it was cause of cost, well one of the reasons. another i think was the fact THAT they ran out of idea's. in one of the sets one of the guys who did the special effects said that they spent MORE time in storylines on special effects than they did about the storyline. or something along that he said. in short i think he meant was THAT IF they had less special effects in the show, the writing WOULD have been by FAR much better. & also J.Frid didn't refuse to totally leave the character. what happend was this he was on the show for nearly 5 yrs. when all of the actors & actresses were getting to play 5 or 6 different characters & he just got stuck

playing just one. & Frid basically grew up in the theatre & he wanted to flesh out his acting skills & NOT just do one character. soo he said IF i don't get to do another character i'm quitting. cuz i am tired of JUST playing one character while everybody else is playing at times 10 different characters. he wasn't qutting the character he just wanted to have fun with another character. & so the producers were FORCED to do the storyline called i believe "The lottery" & the public didn't like the storyline which i can understand cause it wasn't anything that had been on the show since it went into the super natural. soo the ratings dipped a LOT cause the people thought the storyline was weak. & IT IS! buut reason it is cause when they found it it got cancelled they rushed writing to finish it! & it was to finish the show & say everything ended up good. & either way they left loose ends with the show that they created. buut that's why the storyline is soooo BAD is cause it was rushed. for me personally i think it started out slow & got better. buut after awhile it started to show that they were rushing it. & the writing went downhill. least for me it does. i wasn't around back than buut this is just from interviews & such that i get this info from.

wildhoney66

[15]May 18, 2008

i forgot to add, THAT they ran out of ideas as well. the story as one of the producers i think? said in the storyline. IF you look at the start of the show it's a soap & it did a rotation & it went back to that at the end. & It wasn't intentional. it was just how it ended up.

jws44

[16]May 26, 2008
    • level: 2
    Dark Shadows ended because it was getting too much bad publicity because of parents and religious groups complaining that children didn't need to watch this kind of stuff. If I recall correctly when the show went off the air it was still very high in the ratings.

wildhoney66

[17]May 30, 2008
    i think THAT was also part of it. & i'm NOT sure of the ratings to be honest. i know when we lost our maggie evan's the ratings were high. buut i think i read in her book or someplace they had dropped during the last storyline as well. although i admit i COULD be WRONG! soo bear with me folks.

aesgaard41

[18]Jun 4, 2008
    • level: 34
    I'd sayseveral things ran down the series. Frid tried of playing Barnabas, the writers were out of ideas, too many actors had left, the other actors were getting bored..... The last storyline just wasn't that good.

wildhoney66

[19]Jun 7, 2008

that's kind of what i said. buut yes that's why i think it ended & like i said i think & feel the last story was rushed soo that's why we got a kind of **** storyline. it didn't really bother me that it was MORE soap opera than it had been since the start of the show wheni 1st saw it a few yrs. ago. buut it just feels unfinished & it had potentional to be a good or hell even a decent storyline buut when they cancelled the show they wanted to end the show & have a series finale which i'm THRILLED that they got to have a series finale buuuut the problem THAT they did was rushing it. & NOT thinking out a by far MUCH BETTER resolve to the story than they did. am i right? they SHOULD have also did a tv movie or somthing to fill in the missing gaps of the plot lines THAT they put in the show buut forgot about, such as who are vicki's rents ? for example. this would of course have taken place in the 70's. when the entire cast was still alive. THAT was well NEEDED ya know?

i don't think Frid would't have minded or hell i could be WRONG on that on doing the role 1 MORE time for a 2 or a 3 hr. movie at least. for tv of course. IF needed be. ya know?

jawsthecabbie

[20]Mar 4, 2009
    • level: 15
    Oh, Ghod, that reminds me, at the time the show was at it's height, fundamentalist Christian groups were handing out these little rectangular comic books (Drawn by an artist known by the initials "JTC") that espoused Christian views as to who was going to wind up in hell (the last page of every edition of this comic depicted an angel throwing some poor little stick man into the lake of fire). In one memorable edition of this comic, the devil was holding a board meeting with his demons and reviewing various progress reports from his demons as to what was going to get the most people doomed to ever lasting perdition. The devil said; "Wait a minute, my favorite T.V. show is on, and I want to watch. The devil then turns on a T.V. set mounted into a wall of flaming brimstone so he can catch the latest episode of, you guessed it, Dark Shadows! I wish I still had a few of those comics, they'd be collectors items now I'm sure! Ha!
    jws44 wrote:
    Dark Shadows ended because it was getting too much bad publicity because of parents and religious groups complaining that children didn't need to watch this kind of stuff. If I recall correctly when the show went off the air it was still very high in the ratings.