We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Dark Shadows Forums

ABC (ended 1971)

why did it end

wildhoney66

[21]Aug 15, 2010
    • level: 13

it's funny how ONE movie which had the blood & gore in it, made SUCH a fuss to these religious groups. i think that a LOT of these groups heard about how the film was & they thought the show was exactly the same. & these rents over reacted as well cause they also thought the same thing, they forbid their kids to watch it. & for those did listen to their rents the ratings took a dive as well.

i think that was also part of the reason the show was cancelled. yet it was on today nobody would i think care. but than i also could be wrong on that as well. ya know?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

NfnDee

[22]Aug 16, 2010
    • level: 1

I loved this show, wish I could find it online to watch again. It was my sister Peggy's favorite show. We would get off the school-bus and rush in to see it amid the "snow" of the old black and white. - The "snow" might have made it creepier -

Such a great show-

Dee

wildhoney66

[23]Sep 6, 2010

if you go to You tube, they have the 1st episodes, starting with Episode #1 i honestly don't know what episode they go up to, someone has them posted cause they taped them off their tv & it's a terrible picture. than there's another person who uploaded it from their dvd which is a better watch i believe. also there are other sites you can download them as well. in short they aren't that hard to find i don't think.

maudlynn

[24]Feb 4, 2011
    • level: 2

SatHizFakShon wrote:

THEN WE ALL GREW UP AND DID THE TIME WARP ALONG WITH THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW

So the Time Warp was its demise. Yes, that seems plausible. Through DVD, Dark Shadows lives again and I am watching it 40 years later. Now that's a Time Warp.

elvezlady

[25]Oct 31, 2012
    • level: 1
    When the show ( which aired here at 4 PM to 4:30 on ABC) was pulled from t he air abruptly( literally I came home and other programs were on) it was left hanging- with no end tot he show, no explaination to views or to ABC or the local stations. A bunch of us called our local ABC station and asked where was Dark Shadows, and they said the "Network officials had pulled it off the air" from what they "Understood" it was NOT due to poor rating- it was confusing- but still very popular and the only "Gothic" daytime program- but there had been an outpouring of complaints about the "Occult aspects,such as the Quiji board ( which young people were trying out) the seances ( which young people were trying out, and trying to contact the dead) it was yanked, and partly covered up with the need to cut expenses and put cheaper shows on- but there were many protests about the deepening occult and witchcraft areas of the program..the vampire idea was far fetched so parents didn't complain-but when mediums and actual occult practices were introduced, the real protests began. This is why several cast members when asked over the years( I'm a professional writer ) including John Karlen who who played Willie Loomis and multiple characters on the show and in the spin offs, as well as Kate, and Lara Parker, whom all early on were stunned as to while still high in ratings- was abruptly off air.The 1970 movie , allowed to be more "Gory" did alienate show viewers ( the show was still in production at this time- it went off in 1971)

For Jonathan Frid, it resolved his growing dissatisfaction with the role of Barnabas, and confirmed his suspicions that the role would leave him typecast. In 1971, when his contract had expired, Frid proved reticent to re-sign, and only agreed when offered the chance to play another character, Bramwell Collins.After 1,225 episodes, and still commanding impressive viewing figures,Dark Shadowsended its network run in April 1971, a cult television legend and a unique footnote in television histor"y. A final voice over assured viewers that "...for as long as they lived, the Dark Shadows of Collinwood, were but a memory of the distant past....

In many "incarnations, Dark Shadows still continues to be as popular as it was, and gave birth to many shows and characters( Buffy the Vamp Slayer, Forever Knight to name just two).

wildhoney66

[26]Nov 29, 2012

i think a lot of it had to do also with the film well the 1st dark shadows film. parents would take their kids to the film and than think that the

show was also like that so they protested a LOT! and in short that i think helped cancel the show. as for J. Frid well he wanted to play another like all the other actors were doing. and they refused so when his contract was up for renewal he threatened he was going to leave the show if he didn't get another role. so they reluctually wrote in bramwell. and i believe the public didn't like that. he did worry that he would be type cast and in the horror genre and he was. which is why he did only 2 films after the series ended and quit acting all togther well movies anyways he headed back to the stage and stayed there for many years.

Alexandra M. in (196 also got tired of playing the same role as well and wanted to play another role on the show and after she had her baby way back in (196 she was asked to come back and she said i believe if Vicki winters i think dies or goes bad or something like that. in short she wanted to play a villian for a change. they turned her down and she stayed off the show. i can't say that i blame her really but it would have been interesting to see how that would have played out ya know?

archangelwho

[27]Dec 9, 2012
    • level: 19

Unlike othe soaps which can move from storyline to storyline where a major character(s) canmake up 90% of the storyline one season and be gone 2 seasons later a storyline about one character, avampire at that, really limits your storyline. Rather than ask why it ended I guess the question should be how was that able to keep it going so long?

wildhoney66

[28]Dec 16, 2012

i think 5 years is a good run honestly. and look who's here he he

archangelwho

[29]Dec 18, 2012
    • level: 19

wildhoney66 wrote:

i think 5 years is a good run honestly. and look who's here he he

Hi friend. It nice the way we keep running into each other.

wildhoney66

[30]Jan 16, 2013

yes it is man, it just means we have great taste in tv shows! he he

maudlynn

[31]Dec 26, 2013
    • level: 2
    The cornucopia of reasons is fascinating. Rarely is anything the result of one thing and that seems to be the case with Dark Shadows.

Scandal2000

[32]Jan 3, 2014
    • level: 7

The ratings were still good for it, but they had declined. In my opinion, Count Petofi was the last truly great storyline they had. As others have stated, Jonathan Frid was tired of playing Barnabas and was afraid he would be typecast (he pretty much was). They were beginning to repeat the storylines such as when James Storm came on the series (And did a good job) he basically played the same character as the early Quentin Collins. The storyline had already been done. Even though Dark Shadows was cheap to make, game shows were even cheaper and becoming more popular. Also in the DVD's, there are several interviews with the former cast and Dan Curtis stated (before his passing) that the last six months of Dark Shadows he was tired of fighting with ABC and wasn't as involved as much. My guess is he was ready for it to be over.