Dark Shadows

NBC (ended 1991)

Dark Shadows Fan Reviews (12)

• my dark shadows dvds

Dark shadows would bethe only best American Gothic suspense classic, of all time. Barnabas Collins is really the best. It's a good thing it's available on video and DVD now. I purchased a copy from www. memorylanedvd .com. It arrived with good packaging and the quality of the whole set is simply in its supreme. This company really provided me an awesome set with the complete episodes including "The Beginning" episodes! Dark shadows will always be remembered and it simply rule in everyone's heart a true classic and legendary TV series ever made!
  • first last best

before its time
  • Dark Shadows (1991) was an updated version of the old gothic classic. This was a weekly series with a bigger budget.

I remember being fired up about this remake because I loved the original series. The remake had a terrific cast and since it was a weekly series it did move at a quick pace. This show had tremendous potential and actually originally had good ratings but required a big budget and coverage of the Persian Gulf war (which obviously did and shook take precedence) ruined the series because many viewers simply didn't know about it. It could have and should have had a good run. Ben Cross is a terrific actor as was the remainder of the cast. The Chiller Channel occasionally will have a marathon of the 12 episodes of this show.
  • It wasn't as good as the original, but still not too bad.

Ben Cross was slightly lacking in his Barnabas, but he did get better as the series progressed; who knows where he would have been had the series continued.
    I do not remember Angelique being quite so...French in the origial, but Lysette Anthony did a respectable job.
    Carolyn was not quite as much of a... what's the word that I'm looking for? spoiled brat (to put it nicely).
    I loved Michael T. Weiss in this, he is a really underappreciated actor.
    Jean Simmons was brilliant as Elizabeth Collins Stoddard.
    I wish we'd gotten to see more of Josef Gordon-Levitt as David.
    I don't remember an affair between Maggie Evans and Roger Collins.
  • One of my favorite shows

I was a teenager when the show was on and knew nothing of the original and let me just say, I LOVED this show. It might be what got me started on my fondness for this genre. The vampires, witches, flashbacks, the love story! I was completely engrossed in this show, would wait for it anxiously every week, and would be sad when the hour was up. When the season ended, with so many things left unresolved it made me anxious for its return. I did not like it one bit when NBC cancelled the show. So many questions left un-answered. It would have been nice if they had done a TV movie on it to tie up the loose ends. But we'll never know what happened.
  • Love this show

I loved this show back when it was first airing on NBC. It got jerked around and moved around and people couldn't find it to keep watching. Ben Cross was amazing as Barnabas and I love seeing him in other things to this day.
    This show ended on a cliffhanger of Twin Peaks proportions and I really hate that because I still want to find out what happened next. I'm glad that it was back for as long as it was. Haven't ever watched the original series though.
    Too bad they wouldn't let them do a 2 hour TV movie after it was cancelled to let them tie up all the loose ends.
  • Inspiring Return to a Classic Horror Series

After the demise of "Dallas," there seemed to begin a curse that there would never again be another successful Friday Night TV series. "Sabrina The Teenage Witch" almost broke this curse, and "Ghost Whisperer" just may break this curse. Unfortunately, the NBC network also started their track record for horrible mistakes and cancelling great shows against viewer demand with this one. Killed by Gulf War footage, this show actually nearly filled in the vacuum on Friday with the excellant idea of remaking America's favorite series with the budget and location shootings it deserved. Ben Cross made an excellant, if not, more seductive Barnabus,and Joanna Going made an exquisitely beautiful and virginal ingenue as Victoria Winters. The whole cast was perfect, except for perhaps the new Carolyn, and the mysterious mansion that served as Collinwood had the right amount of Gothic atmosphere for the series. Much of the series original concept was altered to more modernize the story and previous storylines were altered for a cleaner and easier to follow flow. Started not with the start of its original, but at the point the original series became a cult hit, this mini-series very nearly became a hit except for some criticism from loyal fans of the original. If allowed to continue, this show would have definitely been a hit, but NBC realized it far too late and went against viewer support and common sense by ending another great series and furter making what the Dark Shadows cosmology will always be - eternal.
  • What a great remake.

Vampires, great plots, flash bakcs to colonial times, great costumes, witchcraft, what else could this show have. This show was wonderful. It had great acting, great stories and yet it was cancelled. To me, this show was an improvement over the first one. Ben cross made a great barnabus. the only downer was that it did not get a fair chance. It was so much better than the original yet did not last. I think if it was on another network it would have lasted. My whole family would watch htis show. True it was a dark subject matter, but i was only nine years old and new it was only make believe. i just loved everyhthing about it. Even the remake of this show was cancelled before it jjpremiered. Networks just wont give dark shadows a chance.
  • Good Remake that did not get a fair shake.

(Also known as Dark Shadows: Revival)
    NBC started their track record for horrible mistakes and cancelling great shows against viewer demand with this one. Killed by Gulf War footage, this show filled in the vaccum on Friday with the excellant idea of remaking America's favorite series with the budget and location shootings it deserved. Ben Cross made an excellant, if not, more seductive Barnabus,and Joanna Going made an exquisitely beautiful and virginal ingenue as Victoria Winters. The whole cast was perfect, except for the new Carolyn, and the mysterious mansion that served as Collinwood had the right amount of Gothic atmosphere for the series. Much of the series original concept was altered to more modernize the story and previous storylines were altered for a cleaner and easier to follow flow. If allowed to continue, this show would have been a hit, but NBC realized it far too late.
    Looking back I really find it humorious watching Michael T. Weiss (The Pretender), knowing who is now.
  • Dark Shadows is a classic that was obviously unappreciated.

I vaguely remember the original series as I was pretty young. I did love it then and was thrilled when the series came out in 1991. It didn't air long enough for me. I missed some of the episodes and then before I knew it it was gone. I really looked forward to watching it and was very disappointed when it ended. I was totally unprepared for it to end so suddenly. I guess there were not enough viewers who appreciated the rebirth of a classic. But, then I am a classic horror fan (not the blood and gluts slaughter films.
  • i love the show!

0.0
    very good show i wish it would come back to tv !i miss wacthing it ... good very good ... bring it back to tv good cast love it ... good story line .... verry very good show .. where can i buy shows love it bring it back to tv where it go why was it takein off tv good show
  • A solid remake worth checking out at least once.

7.4
    I have been a fan of the original Dark Shadows, but it was actually the revival series that got me interested in the first place. It primarily focuses on the Barnabas/Victoria Winters relationship and includes the main elements from the original in that storyline, such as going back in time to the 1700s (or was it 1800s?),and Dr. Hoffman's trying to cure Barnabas. From what I can remember, there weren't major differences from the original storylines, just minor ones. The pros of watching the revival series are that its episodes are much more quicker paced and tell much more story in much less time than the original series did, and have more modern visual and special effects which make the show edgier and darker in tone. If you are a fan of the original series, you should at least check out the revival series to see whether or not you like it. It's only about 12 episodes or so and is coming out on dvd on october 18.