Darkwing Duck

Beauty and the Beet

Aired Weekdays 3:30 PM Sep 09, 1991 on ABC

• A great origin episode for one of Darkwing Duck's main villains that has yet to be matched.

While the humor was ever present in this episode, this is a fine example of how a few dark moments and well rounded, well written characters can go a long way. This episodes introduces the viewers to Dr. Reginald Bushroot, a normal duck scientist (botanist) who was simply trying to research how plants could better help mankind. After a series of very unfortunate events, thanks greatly to the efforts of the two buffoon like scientist Dr. Gary and Dr. Larson, he is ultimately transformed into a half duck, half plant creature in a scene that's actually quite sad to watch. More so when the jerks make fun of him after the accident.

What follows, is probably some of this series darker moments (Though I'm sure you'll be rooting for Bushroot once he takes his revenge on the two jerky scientist.) and an overall storyline that you'll be hard pressed to forget.

Bushroot is definitely one of the most well written characters in the series. He's easy to sympathize with in this episode and just about all the episodes in thereafter. He honestly doesn't come off like that bad of a guy personality wise, just highly misunderstood, lonely, and outcast. Out of all the villains in the show, he's the only one I'll admit I actually felt moved me. And that was just in the first episode he premiered in!

A must watch episode for this series.