Darkwing Duck

Dead Duck

Aired Weekdays 3:30 PM Nov 12, 1991 on ABC

• Darkwing "Dead" Duck

When I first heard about this episode, almost everyone I asked about it told me that it was one of the most emotional episodes of this series, so I decided to watch it, and wow, was I surprised...

Darkwing gets killed on a motorcycle accident while chasing Megavolt, because he was not wearing an helmet. He gets sent to Hell, and then to Heaven, but he still refuses to believe that he's dead. Returning home, he finds out that he really is dead, and that Megavolt is now a celebrity due to the fact that he says that he killed Darkwing. Feeling outraged by that fact, and still not believing he's dead, he plans to go after Megavolt. Unfortunately, when the Grim Reaper appears, Darkwing understands that he really is dead, and that his time has come. He manages to escape the Grim Reaper a couple of times, until he's finally grabbed by it. Making a deal with the Grim Reaper, he buys himself a an hour to go back and save Gosalyn, Launchpad and Honker from Megavolt, before he has to go either to Heaven or Hell.

I just loved the way Darkwing said goodbye to everyone he loved (it was a really touching thing to do, especially because it's not every episode that you get to see DW's most human side), plus, Tony Jay voicing the Grim Reaper is a magnificent bonus, so this deserves a 9.5

Good thing that all of that was just a dream, otherwise, Darkwing would have ended up in Hell, and the series would have ended.