TV.com will be making changes to the Private Message system the week of Jan 26, 2015. For more information click here

Darkwing Duck Forums

ABC (ended 1992)

Blatant self-promotion ahead! (Darkwing-related, relax!)

melissaduck

[1]Sep 17, 2006
    • level: 4
    For those of you who don't know, I have a website devoted to the mighty masked mallard called Flapping Terror. And guess what?

*blows a huge party horn*

It's Flapping Terror's fourth birthday today! Visit it! There's a contest going on, too! Go, Darkwing Duck fans! Go, now!!!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

bebop345

[2]Sep 17, 2006
    • level: 37
    I'll try to check it out, thanks.

janey_27

[3]Sep 19, 2006
    • level: 16
    Hey, Happy 4th anniversary there, melissaduck!!

SharanMcQuack

[4]Sep 22, 2006
    • level: 11
    It's too bad I can't snail mail an entry, I don't know how to scan anything onto a computer and don't have access to a scanner. Not that my entry would win or end up anyplace but the circular file, giving that it would be pro-Launchpad and DW-is-a-jerk sort of entry. I'm having fun drawing such a cartoon for my own amusement, even if I can't share it.
    Edited on 09/23/2006 8:14am

melissaduck

[5]Oct 27, 2006
    SharanMcQuack wrote:
    It's too bad I can't snail mail an entry, I don't know how to scan anything onto a computer and don't have access to a scanner. Not that my entry would win or end up anyplace but the circular file, giving that it would be pro-Launchpad and DW-is-a-jerk sort of entry. I'm having fun drawing such a cartoon for my own amusement, even if I can't share it.

I would have accepted such an entry even if you had the access, Sharan. I'm sure plenty of people would have found it amusing.

I didn't include a snail-mail address because I don't want stalkers, so sorry.

Deadline for contest has been moved! Click here, please!

melissaduck

[6]Nov 5, 2006
    I should have mentioned this four days ago, but I announced the winners of the Birthday Contest! Only three people entered, but it's better than nothing.

SharanMcQuack

[7]Nov 7, 2006
    A sane company would conclude from that lack of response that nobody ever cared two hoots about DW in the first place or at least that nobody cares now. And might wonder why people used to watch the show. But nobody will ever convince Disney of anything it don't want to hear, which may explain why so many people lie to them so shamelessly.
    Edited on 11/07/2006 8:46am

melissaduck

[8]Nov 25, 2006
    Sharan, you're so wrong I want to laugh. Only in your delusional mind is Darkwing Duck not worth anything to anybody. Many people loved the show, and many still do. In fact, if you didn't care about it in some way, you wouldn't be on this blasted forum all the time! For goodness sake, I'm over 20 years your junior and even I am able to make more logical conclusions than you. You're just upset that Darkwing was made the hero and Launchpad the sidekick. You know what, it's Launchpad's fault the Darkwing series was even brought into existence, so "your" beloved paint-and-ink boytoy shouldn't be given so much a pedestal as you give him in the first place, if you honestly think so low of the Darkwing cartoon. ENOUGH ALREADY.

SharanMcQuack

[9]Nov 27, 2006

So let them bring back Darkwing WITHOUT LAUNCHPAD  and SEE WHO WATCHES IT.

Not that I care if a "DW without Launchpad" show were the biggest hit for Disney since "The Mickey Mouse Club" in it's heyday. Unlike Disney, I'M not STUPID enough to think it matters to ME which FICTIONAL CHARACTER OTHER PEOPLE like.

IF DW sold and IF I worked for Disney, I'd like to think I'd have the sense to hold my nose and sell DW.

Not my fault Disney won't admit Launchpad sells. Or that Disney lacks the sense to hold its nose and sell Launchpad.

The only reason I come to this format is (A) Launchpad was on the show and I wish he had not been. And (B)I'm trying to prevent Disney from bringing DW back WITH Launchpad.

Edited on 11/29/2006 7:10am
    Edited 3 total times.

melissaduck

[10]Dec 3, 2006
    The Darkwing cartoon ain't Darkwing without Launchpad, no matter how much you hate it. You can wish and wish DW and LP had never met, but that won't change a thing. Besides, what makes you think Disney will bring Darkwing back at all, let alone without Launchpad? Your cause is for nothing. I hate to admit it, but they don't even recall who Darkwing is. And even if they did, they wouldn't bring back the show without Launchpad. Everyone loves LP. Not just you. I've seen some people say that putting Launchpad on the show was one of the biggest reasons they first started watching Darkwing, and they were hooked since.

Nobody would watch Darkwing without Launchpad being in it. They'd turn off their sets. They'd turn their backs on the Disney company on reflex. Oh, and Disney HAS to care about what characters other people like, or else they can't make money. It's that simple. CEOs and execs tend to work that way, as crass as it may be. It doesn't have to matter to you; I never said it did.

You think Disney stopped showing stuff with LP because they thought he was stupid? No. Wrong! It was because they kicked DuckTales, and then Darkwing Duck, off the Disney Afternoon lineup, one-by-one. They did that with ALL the Disney Afternoon cartoons as new ones came. A new one came on, an old one went off. New ones meant more money, old ones meant less money. LP wasn't picked out specially. He and every other "old" toon got the boot equally. That's how it works, because to executive-run cartoon studios, cartoons are nothing more than money-makers. They are nothing special. They are not art, they are not quality entertainment. And the cartoon characters-- who are they? Icons, nothing more than icons to make merchandise off of. That's it. Disney does it, Nickelodeon does it, even Hanna-Barbara does it. It's disgusting, but it's true.

Bottom line: Launchpad may be a special character - to all of us fans - but he's old news, ancient even, and the people you're trying to fight will take one look at you and say, "Who's Launchpad McQuack?"
    Edited on 12/03/2006 2:41pm

SharanMcQuack

[11]Dec 4, 2006

And how many people remembered Strawberry Shortcake or the Care Bears or My Little Pony BEFORE they were revived? Their creators are STILL making mucha lira from their return. Why Disney does NOT want to do likewise with Ducktales is beyond me.

And it was Disney's portraying Launchpad as a moron when his fans thought he was sensible and smart that killed this show.

If DW is anyplace as popular as you seem to think, why does he need Launchpad? A new Launchpad-less DW show could air * right before or right after a new drop-the-Launchpad-is-a-moron-bit-and-sell-him-already Ducktales show.

*One at 3 pm and one at 3:30, say. You could promote it as the DW/Ducktales hour. The New Disney Afternoon.

Edited on 12/06/2006 7:30am
    Edited 3 total times.

melissaduck

[12]Feb 26, 2007
    Haven't replied immediately due to being busy with a little thing called life, so here we go: >>And how many people remembered Strawberry Shortcake or the Care Bears or My Little Pony BEFORE they were revived? Their creators are STILL making mucha lira from their return. Why Disney does NOT want to do likewise with Ducktales is beyond me.

Dude, everyone remembers those shows. They were HUGE during the 80's. They had merchandise for them at the wazoo, and thus TONS upon TONS of moolah. DuckTales was different because it wasn't a show based on a bunch of greeting cards and merchandise like Care Bears or all those other ones - therefore, not as much money. All that the corporate fatcats who produce cartoons nowadays think about are the money.

>>And it was Disney's portraying Launchpad as a moron when his fans thought he was sensible and smart that killed this show.

Your theory, toots. Not the truth. You think he's sensible and smart, and you think everyone else believes him to be a moron. No, the reason DW was cancelled was because, according to the creator of the show, Tad Stones, WHOM I INTERVIEWED PERSONALLY, the ABC network didn't pick up on the third season. It wasn't Launchpad, for God's sake! He had nothing to do with it! Disney in fact loved the pilot so much they allowed him to host one episode of a very short-lived show called "Raw Toonage," which was only short-lived in the first place because Disney made the cartoon Marsupilami without asking permission of the creator of original comic strip it was based on, and the show got cancelled for fear of being sued!

>>If DW is anyplace as popular as you seem to think, why does he need Launchpad?

Because every hero needs a sidekick. DW is egotistical, dramatic, and somewhat oblivious. Launchpad evens this out by being modest, laid-back, and having the ability to point out the obvious, which DW needs.

>>A new Launchpad-less DW show could air * right before or right after a new drop-the-Launchpad-is-a-moron-bit-and-sell-him-already Ducktales show.

They are NOT bringing back Launchpad! Get over it already! The Disney company is full of rich people who care only about what's bringing in money NOW, like Kim Possible. So stop feeding everybody your fantasies, okay, and start being realistic.

>>*One at 3 pm and one at 3:30, say. You could promote it as the DW/Ducktales hour. The New Disney Afternoon.

Which will never happen, for reasons I've already explained.
    Edited on 02/26/2007 7:52am

SharanMcQuack

[13]Mar 2, 2007

FINE! You've "proven" that I, the customer am WRONG and Disney is right.

How in god's name did you interview Tad Stones (whoever he is and like I care) if you're just a fan? And what makes you think he told you the Truth and not the official story?

Stick to Kim Possible, who is so "popular" her movie wasn't at theathers, wasn't on DVD, wasn't on cable but on broadcast TV.

If Disney wants to pass up on making money, why should I care?

Edited on 03/02/2007 9:50am
    Edited 4 total times.

melissaduck

[14]Mar 2, 2007
    SharanMcQuack wrote:

FINE! You've "proven" that I, the customer am WRONG and Disney is right.

How in god's name did you interview Tad Stones (whoever he is and like I care) if you're just a fan? And what makes you think he told you the Truth and not the official story?

Stick to Kim Possible, who is so "popular" her movie wasn't at theathers, wasn't on DVD, wasn't on cable but on broadcast TV.

If Disney wants to pass up on making money, why should I care?

I never said Disney was right! I'm saying you need to get your facts straight.

To answer your question, I interviewed Tad Stones through e-mail. I found his profile online through a Disney Afternoon online group, got his e-mail address, and e-mailed him. And if you doubt that I was talking to the real guy, I happened to attend the New York City Comic Con last weekend, and he was there, helping with the "Hellboy" animated series booth, drawing and signing pictures of Hellboy, and when I told him who I was, he recognized me immediately. He even gave me his autograph on a Hellboy poster, which I can scan for everybody if you don't believe me.

And why shouldn't Tad not tell his fans the truth if he or Disney aren't affected adversely by it?

As for Kim Possible's film, Disney's been making a lot of stupid decisions as of late; look at all the crappy sequels they released. *rolls eyes*

And about that last sentence you wrote: obviously, you do care, or else you wouldn't be writing about how Launchpad could be making money for Disney, would you?