Darkwing Duck Forums

ABC (ended 1992)

Who was the best villain

someone198

[41]Feb 14, 2009
    • level: 27

My favorite villain is Taurus Bulba. Most seem to prefer Negaduck, but to me, he's not much different from your everyday cliche cartoon villains except more intense and less comedic. I know, he probably does cliche stuff like wanton large-scale destruction and murder, intricate death traps, and explaining his plans in detail to everyone in earshot because he wants to be the greatest villain/Public Enemy #1, but still... they could have done a lot deeper stuff with such a character and gone in more serious directions.

Taurus Bulba is the villain you can take the most seriously, and I think that's what makes him the best. He doesn't kid around; he wants something, he takes it. Any obstacles, he forms plans for. Anybody in his way, he kills. He got inside Darkwing's head and used his weaknesses against him; Negaduck, being the hero's evil mirror counterpart, was in a prime position to mess with his head, maybe point out how much they seem to have in common, but he never did! When Negaduck threatens to throw a switch to kill several people in a tailorized death machine (done a million times before), it's played for laughs. When Bulba threatens to kill Gosalyn, it's serious, it's chilling, a completely different style:
    Darkwing Duck: She never told me any code.
    Taurus Bulba: Hmmm, that's a real possibility. But I've always considered myself a gambling man.
    Darkwing Duck: No! I'll tell!
    Taurus Bulba: No tricks, or she'll make quite an ugly stain on the street.

That exchange alone instantly made me think this guy was one of the best cartoon villains I ever saw. It's a shame that they only brought him back to say he would be back and then... he never came back. Except to cause Darkwing one episode full of more fear and emotional turmoil than I ever saw, certainly moreso than whenever he's fought Negaduck.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

TheLostTreasure

[42]Feb 16, 2009
    • level: 5
    I used to think Negaduck was the best villian because he had such sarcasm and seemed to get under Darkwing's skin more, but looking back on it all these years later, I think Megavolt was my fav. He was completely nuts and I loved how he talked to lightbulbs (LOL).

Admiraled

[43]Mar 18, 2009
    • level: 6
    For those who prefered Negaduck, I recommended the GALVANIZED Negaduck because this one's more sinister than the regular Negaduck!

MissMune

[44]Apr 1, 2009
    • level: 8

Best villain, eh? Well, I guess that depends on how we're using best here... Ah well, I'll just give my two cents on all of the possible interpretations of what that could mean.

In sheer scale of evil, and the most potentially damaging villain(s) is undoubtedly F.O.W.L. So, they win in that respect. They don't just mess with DW or St. Canard, they mess with the entire world. They've clearly killed off at least three SHUSH agents, probably more. They have no qualms about, you know, killing a nigh on innumerable number of people and their plans reflect that. Said plans are, for the most part, completely destructive with the potential of irreversible damage to the world and the life that inhabits it. Essentially, they hold the world captive, and that makes for one dastardly villain organization, indeed. I mean, tsunamis world wide? Stopping the rotation of the Earth? That is some serious stuff and quite easily overshadows the, er, work of other recurring villains. (Although, Negaduck gets props for taking over Negaearth... or whatever you want to call it.)

The biggest threat to St. Canard, itself, would probably be Negaduck. He makes it his mission to cause as much wonton destruction in DW's home city as humanly possible. A main reason for this is probably just to tick DW off, too. He's, without a doubt, DW's arch enemy (even though DW makes it a habit of calling all of his enemies such...) and deserves mention for that, alone. Then, on top of that, he's pretty much as close to an ax crazy villain as Disney would allow, and he's fairly competent, too. Even the other villains are afraid of him, and for good reason. ...Except for the Liquidator. I mean, really, why is a villain made of water afraid of a chainsaw? But I digress...

Yet, despite being, well, DW from an alternate universe, Negaduck wasn't able to get underneath the masked mallard's skin as much as he would like. Nah, the honor of best villain in that regard goes to Taurus Bulba. Natch. Do I even need to say why? The way he threatened Goslyn in his appearances clearly disturbed Darkwing quite severely. If that's not enough, there's also the fact that Bulba is frighteningly competent and isn't really played for laughs like other villains are. It's pretty hard not to take him seriously when he says things like: "I underestimated you once, Darkwing Duck, but now you simply DIE."

Finally, the best villain in regards to humor is Megavolt. Seriously. How can you not laugh when he claims that he's stealing light bulbs in order to set them free in the forest, so they can frolic with the other, wild light bulbs? Yeah. Aside from that, he also has my vote for most interesting back story. It's almost tragic in a way... okay, well, if it was played seriously it could have been tragic. All that wasted potential. I agree with whoever said that Megs could have been a good person. He probably could have even done great things, I mean, he was clearly brilliant. But NO, because of some stupid jock and his idiot girlfriend his brain was fried and he now talks to light bulbs and various other household appliances. ...Yeah, yeah, it is funny... but still.

someone198 wrote:

Negaduck, being the hero's evil mirror counterpart, was in a prime position to mess with his head, maybe point out how much they seem to have in common, but he never did!

This is a really good point. Negaduck really could have screwed with DW's mind by reminding him that they were, pretty much, the same person. If I had to guess why he didn't, though, it would be because it would work inversely, as well. If Negaduck gave DW a "not so different" speech it would remind himself that they were, well, not so different. And he wouldn't really want to be reminded of that, now would he?

Or maybe he just has some "hands-off" policy when it comes to DW's personal life. Who knows? But that would imply that he has some sort of honor and, pft, come on.

stitch069917

[45]Apr 21, 2009
    • level: 76
    MissMune wrote:

Best villain, eh? Well, I guess that depends on how we're using best here... Ah well, I'll just give my two cents on all of the possible interpretations of what that could mean.

In sheer scale of evil, and the most potentially damaging villain(s) is undoubtedly F.O.W.L. So, they win in that respect. They don't just mess with DW or St. Canard, they mess with the entire world. They've clearly killed off at least three SHUSH agents, probably more. They have no qualms about, you know, killing a nigh on innumerable number of people and their plans reflect that. Said plans are, for the most part, completely destructive with the potential of irreversible damage to the world and the life that inhabits it. Essentially, they hold the world captive, and that makes for one dastardly villain organization, indeed. I mean, tsunamis world wide? Stopping the rotation of the Earth? That is some serious stuff and quite easily overshadows the, er, work of other recurring villains. (Although, Negaduck gets props for taking over Negaearth... or whatever you want to call it.)

The biggest threat to St. Canard, itself, would probably be Negaduck. He makes it his mission to cause as much wonton destruction in DW's home city as humanly possible. A main reason for this is probably just to tick DW off, too. He's, without a doubt, DW's arch enemy (even though DW makes it a habit of calling all of his enemies such...) and deserves mention for that, alone. Then, on top of that, he's pretty much as close to an ax crazy villain as Disney would allow, and he's fairly competent, too. Even the other villains are afraid of him, and for good reason. ...Except for the Liquidator. I mean, really, why is a villain made of water afraid of a chainsaw? But I digress...

Yet, despite being, well, DW from an alternate universe, Negaduck wasn't able to get underneath the masked mallard's skin as much as he would like. Nah, the honor of best villain in that regard goes to Taurus Bulba. Natch. Do I even need to say why? The way he threatened Goslyn in his appearances clearly disturbed Darkwing quite severely. If that's not enough, there's also the fact that Bulba is frighteningly competent and isn't really played for laughs like other villains are. It's pretty hard not to take him seriously when he says things like: "I underestimated you once, Darkwing Duck, but now you simply DIE."

Finally, the best villain in regards to humor is Megavolt. Seriously. How can you not laugh when he claims that he's stealing light bulbs in order to set them free in the forest, so they can frolic with the other, wild light bulbs? Yeah. Aside from that, he also has my vote for most interesting back story. It's almost tragic in a way... okay, well, if it was played seriously it could have been tragic. All that wasted potential. I agree with whoever said that Megs could have been a good person. He probably could have even done great things, I mean, he was clearly brilliant. But NO, because of some stupid jock and his idiot girlfriend his brain was fried and he now talks to light bulbs and various other household appliances. ...Yeah, yeah, it is funny... but still.

someone198 wrote:

Negaduck, being the hero's evil mirror counterpart, was in a prime position to mess with his head, maybe point out how much they seem to have in common, but he never did!

This is a really good point. Negaduck really could have screwed with DW's mind by reminding him that they were, pretty much, the same person. If I had to guess why he didn't, though, it would be because it would work inversely, as well. If Negaduck gave DW a "not so different" speech it would remind himself that they were, well, not so different. And he wouldn't really want to be reminded of that, now would he?

Or maybe he just has some "hands-off" policy when it comes to DW's personal life. Who knows? But that would imply that he has some sort of honor and, pft, come on.

Very well stated. Although, another villain that added a lot of funny lines and situations to the series was Quackerjack.
    Especially when he was paired with Megavolt.

al-e-xl

[46]Sep 5, 2009
    • level: 1
    I agree Elmo Sputterspark A.K.A Megavolt was the best.

al-e-xl

[47]Sep 5, 2009
    • level: 1
    I would agree with you but Bulba didn't get enough screen time, that's why he was one of the main villians in a story I wrote.