Darkwing Duck Forums

ABC (ended 1992)

Why I DON'T want Launchpad working with DW:

SharanMcQuack

[1]Dec 13, 2006
    • level: 11

1. They make him look too DUMB.

2. He's a pilot and he ain't doing much flying.

3. He's more of a lover than a fighter.

4. The old "Adventures of Superman" did not refer to crimefighting as the "never ending battle" for nothing. Bad guys escape from jail, get released on technicalies, get replaced by new bad guys... Launchpad could keep this up forever and not get anywhere.

5. I'm sorry, but I don't like DW. I'm NOT stopping YOU from liking him, am I?

I'd rather see him work for a rescue heroes/Baywatch type group. And he doesn't have to be the leader, just a respected charter member.

Rescue "8"

Supervision:  Nevilslep Nile and his wife Niomi. Neversleep: Radar, sonar and weather expert. Niomi: commucation expert (big black dogs).

Land: Avalance Alp and his wife, Adelwise. Avalance: medic and digging and caves expert. Adelwise: repairperson extronaire and ground vechicle expert.
    (Saint Bernards. Him with a first aid kit around the neck instead of the cliche little barrel of booze.)

Air and Space: Launchpad and me, his wife Sharan. Launchpad: pilot and astronaut. Me, photographer/reporter/press agent to the group.

Water:  Buck Diver and his wife Pearl. Diving and submarine experts. (ducks)

And of course, they'd go on a not-so-occasional treasure hunt, to fund their group's existance, and "cross swords" with Bad Guys whose antics are endangering lives...

Edited on 01/16/2007 8:04am
    Edited 3 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

melissaduck

[2]Feb 26, 2007
    • level: 4
    >>1. They make him look too DUMB.

He's not dumb, he's absent-minded. It's part of his appeal.

>>2. He's a pilot and he ain't doing much flying.

So what? He loves adventure, period. He doesn't care if it's in the air on the ground.

>>3. He's more of a lover than a fighter.

True, but he loves the excitement of crime-fighting. Tad Stones said he left Scrooge McDuck because he was getting bored. What could be more exciting than being the sidekick of a vigilante?

>>4. The old "Adventures of Superman" did not refer to crimefighting as the "never ending battle" for nothing. Bad guys escape from jail, get released on technicalies, get replaced by new bad guys... Launchpad could keep this up forever and not get anywhere.

Correction: LP could keep this up forever and enjoy the hell out of it. He likes his job!

>>5. I'm sorry, but I don't like DW. I'm NOT stopping YOU from liking him, am I?

No, and I can't make you like him, but I think you're letting your hatred of him blind you to the fact that he and LP make a great team.

>>I'd rather see him work for a rescue heroes/Baywatch type group. And he doesn't have to be the leader, just a respected charter member.

Launchpad is a light-hearted character intended for children's audiences. In the idea you describe, I don't see anywhere where there could possibly be any children's appeal. And on the odd chance that Disney DOES bring back LP, they would gear whatever show he's on for kids.

SharanMcQuack

[3]Feb 27, 2007

I'm a girl.

1. They made Launchpad look like a moron. They promoted DW to the skies. It really bugs me that they created DW to put Launchpad "in his place", to turn Launchpad back into the comedy relief Disney intended Launchpad to be and NOT the True Hero Launchpad morphed into sans permission.

2. PLEASE don't drag Launchpad back into this. Ducktales Two, yes...DW two- LEAVE  LAUNCHPAD out of it and you can do whatever you Billy-be-blessed please with DW.

3. I'd rather Launchpad return to a Ducktales Two than Rescue 8, anyway.

4. Ducktales was a LOT more popular than DW. Claim otherwise and I will laugh in your face.

5. I STILL don't like DW. Never will. Sorry. So what PART of I don't WANT Launchpad to work for him do you NOT understand?

Edited on 02/28/2007 10:53am
    Edited 3 total times.

GosalynBlue

[4]Feb 28, 2007
    • level: 5

If you hate Darkwing so much, I don't understand why you post here. I'm not trying to be rude, but it only seems to aggravate you. The show is over, it's not coming back, so there is no point in rehashing why you hate it.

DW does have a big ego. With him around there just isn't room for two heroes. I look at it this way... The show is named Darkwing Duck. That tells you right away that it is mostly going to be about him, especially if he has it his way. On the other hand, Ducktales wasn't called Scrooge McDuck and Nephews. Launchpad had a bigger role in that because it was more about everyone. And he did have some episodes that focused mostly on him. So did Gyro if I remember correctly...

And you know what else? We didn't see Launchpad really have any friends on DuckTales. He worked for Scrooge, who didn't appreciate him a lot of the time. I guess you could argue he was friends with Huey, Dewey, and Louie, but they were just kids who looked up to him. Darkwing and Launchpad are friends. They even live together. He's used to DW wanting the attention most of the time and it rarely bothers him. And Darkwing does appreciate Launchpad. As you say, Launchpad isn't stupid. If he wanted to leave, he certainly could. The point is he doesn't seem to mind being a sidekick for the most part.

I loved both of these shows when I was younger and I own both DVD sets now. I do prefer Darkwing Duck to DuckTales, but I guess it just depends on your taste. But feel free to laugh in my face if it will make you happy...

melissaduck

[5]Mar 2, 2007
    >>I'm a girl.

If you're looking at my sig, it's a quote from "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory."

>>1. They made Launchpad look like a moron. They promoted DW to the skies. It really bugs me that they created DW to put Launchpad "in his place", to turn Launchpad back into the comedy relief Disney intended Launchpad to be and NOT the True Hero Launchpad morphed into sans permission. >>I look at it this way... The show is named Darkwing Duck. That tells you right away that it is mostly going to be about him, especially if he has it his way. On the other hand, Ducktales wasn't called Scrooge McDuck and Nephews. Launchpad had a bigger role in that because it was more about everyone. And he did have some episodes that focused mostly on him. So did Gyro if I remember correctly...

THANK YOU, GosalynBlue.

>>5. I STILL don't like DW. Never will. Sorry. So what PART of I don't WANT Launchpad to work for him do you NOT understand?

I never said you should like DW. Not once. Not once did I even TRY to persuade you to. Read GosalynBlue's post carefully, because it makes a LOT of good points that don't seem to be sinking in.

SharanMcQuack

[6]Mar 3, 2007

I'm not sure WHY I'm BOTHERING to argue when nobody's listening, but it's not like I got anything better to do.

!. They did NOT make Launchpad look absent minded. They made him look like a total and complete moron.

2. Disney TRIED to market Ducktales but because of it's insane and unprofitable "anybody but Launchpad' attutude problem, they were trying to market Gizmoduck and Bubba Duck and the duck genie from "Lost Lamp: and NOT Launchpad.  Including using Launchpad in 'Raw Toonage" or something to sell THAT, but NOT God forbid, Launchpad.

3. Ugly Twerp NEVER appeared in DW. Kindly do NOT mention him again.

4. TEAM? Ha! When did they let Launchpad do anything except look stupid?

5. Who's letting who's hatred blind them, other than Disney? They're letting their resentment of good-looking guys blind them to an opportunity and have been doing so for WAY too long1

6.. I love how you delete my threads that you can't answer.

Edited on 03/03/2007 8:43am
    Edited 2 total times.

melissaduck

[7]Mar 5, 2007
    SharanMcQuack wrote:
    6.. I love how you delete my threads that you can't answer.

It's not that I can't answer them. It's because I don't want to, because it's not worth my time. Don't get all full of yourself.

And YOU are the one who isn't listening. Listen - I believe I speak for a lot of people around here when I say that you're shoving all your conspiracy-against-Launchpad crap down our throats and it's getting annoying. None of it's true, and you should know it isn't, so why bother persuading us otherwise?

Do us a favor, okay? Either leave us all alone, or be quiet about Launchpad already. You're making his reputation as a character look bad, and you're making me lose my patience.

stretchsnodgras

[8]May 7, 2007
    • level: 2
    In the two part pilot(Darkly Dawns the Duck), Launchpad is a complete idiot. Other than that, I think he realized he had to give room to Darkwing's ego when he was working for him (just like he went along with some of Scrooge's greedier schemes - Luck O' of the Ducks and Scrooge tricking the leprechauns into giving him the golden caverns.

SharanMcQuack

[9]May 9, 2007
    Friend, if YOU think that Disney did NOT treat Launchpad like an idiot studing to be a moron and flucking the course thurout DW, may they never use Launchpad again! I hate to know what they have to DO to "prove" to you that he's "stupid ". (which he ain't).

SharanMcQuack

[10]May 9, 2007

Frankly, as far as I could tell, the whole POINT of the show was to "prove" that Launchpad was WAY too stupid to be a hero and therefore,  that putz DW was one (Anybody can be a hero! Unless they CAN! Then we won't LET them! Look at Launchpad! Look at Gos! Or we'll saddle them with so many nerds you can't bear to watch, ala Kim Possible who I might like if it wasn't for Ron Stoppable and other geeks in that show.)

They did it so much they ALMOST forgot they were TRYING to sell DW.

Edited on 05/10/2007 9:23am
    Edited 3 total times.

Antiyonder

[11]Jul 30, 2007
    • level: 39
    At least his piloting improved from his Ducktales days.

cstam1

[12]Aug 8, 2007
    At least in the title you got it right "Working With DW". In your message you said "Working FOR DW". They did not make him dumb just ABSENTMINDED.He has his bright ideas too. Now Sharon it would be nice if you would drop this "I hate DW" thing. You've had this thing going since tvtome.com.
    Edited on 08/08/2007 1:18pm
    Edited 3 total times.

SharanMcQuack

[14]Aug 10, 2007

They did NOT make Launchpad absentminded, unless you mean making him look like his mind was absent. OK, so on RARE occasions the Truth slipped in and he looked smart. They certainly TRIED to make him look like a total idiot often enough and hard enough.

If Disney had not dragged Launchpad into DW, I would not give a rat's tail about DW. I've said THAT since day one. True, I don't like DW. I'm entitled to dislike him.

YOU are allowed to like DW. Now, if you could explain to me WHY.....

Edited on 08/11/2007 7:29am
    Edited 3 total times.

Darkwing_Raptor

[15]Aug 11, 2007

Ok, Sharen, Now hear me out! I`ve been reading your posts lately, and I feel you`re just trying to make all us DW fans feel bad, for liking him! Hey I like LP too! I`ve always thought he was a cool character, and I was actualy happy when I heard he was going to be on DW! I was like, "Hey! Cool! He was on Ducktales, and now he`s gonna be on another show! awesome!"

Yeah, they did make him out to be kinda absentminded, but then Darkwing himself can be even more of an idiot! He lets his ego take control of the wheel, and often! Very often, drags his friends e.g. Gozalyn, Launchpad, and Honker, into messes.

You want to know why I like Darkwing? Well, I think he`s hillarious for one, in my personal opinion, now laugh all you want, sham me all you want, but I`m only telling you how I feel, but I think he`s cute!

His ego, and stupidity, make me laugh!

his suit is my fave color! PURPLE

He reminds my of a spin off of Batman (which he is)

Several Ducktales characters star on his show! e.g. Gizmoduck, Launchpad!

Well, yeah. that`s how I feel! And if you don`t like it, well, please. Do us all a favor, and stop posting, if all you`re gonna do is rant and rave about how much YOU hate DW, then stop! Please stop making us all feel bad!

It`s perfectly ok to like Launchpad, and have your own opinions, but quit dragging it on and on! We`re all getting sick and tired of arguing with you!

SharanMcQuack

[16]Aug 13, 2007

Whose arguing? It's OK by me if YOU like DW. I just wish they left Launchpad OUT of it, that's all.

Just think: if they left Launchpad out I wouldn't of watched DW in the first place and I would not be writting on tv.com about it in the second place! I would of ignored the show completely!

Kindly read my fanfiction Ducktales/DW crossover story "The Blue Dragon". If Disney wants to bring back DW WITHOUT Launchpad, I ain't got a problem with that.

Edited on 08/14/2007 7:23am
    Edited 2 total times.

cstam1

[17]Nov 13, 2007

First and foremost I don't very often read cross-overs they make no sense. Second a DW/Ducktales crossover wouldn't work too well we are talking 2 different time frames here. As far as LP goes I like him as a character on the program. LP was smart and funny, as well as sensitive. The show was good and they all played their parts. But lets face it Sharan it is a cartoon. not real life. Disney did not make him look like a moron that was not their point. Their point was to have a team that would work well together that kids liked and they did.

SharanMcQuack

[18]Nov 14, 2007

I KNOW that, I'm NOT stupid! Disney COULD of made money selling Launchpad, instead they tried to sell everybody ELSE - even inventing new characters to avoid selling Launchpad. No conspricy. They just did it. They zigged where they should of zagged.

this show also "took Place" a year, I think, after Ducktales. Big Deal. Disney probably could of have Launchpad team-up with Baloo on "Tailspin" without anybody caring that it was set in the 1930's.

Edited on 11/16/2007 10:00am

legion7901

[19]Nov 18, 2007

Sharon quit singling Launchpad out. He wasn't ignored for the rest of the cast. Certainly not in the first season. He was just as big a character as anyone else, and a fan favorite. Sure Launchpad didn't do much in the second season but several characters dropped out of sight around that time. Besides, he was getting geared up for Darkwing Duck anyway. I think the character WAS treated very well. And he didn't act nearly as foolhardy or as outright stupid on DW as he ever did on Ducktales. I stand by that.

As was said before, quit complaining or go away.

SharanMcQuack

[20]Nov 19, 2007
    Bye!