Darkwing Duck

Life, the Negaverse, and Everything

Aired Weekdays 3:30 PM Oct 25, 1991 on ABC

• Negaduck leaves the rest of the Fearsome Five after a crime to travel to the \"Negaverse\", his own alternate universe where he rules supreme. After following Megavolt, Quackerjack, Bushroot, and the Liquidator to the bakery where they in turn were track

This is probably my most favorite episode. Some interesting things are revealed in this one. Like the fact that Darkwing Duck hates the Muddlefoots\' and \"Pelican\'s Island\", an obvious parody of \"Gilligan\'s Island\". Also that Negaduck in fact comes from the \"Negaverse\", where he is basically like a god of sorts, and NOT from Megavolt\'s Tron-Splitter (the \"Negaduck\" Episode). I loved seeing all the alternate sides to the \"good guys\" and \"bad guys\". The \"Friendly Four\" who help out Darkwing are hysterical, and are of course the good alter egos of Megavolt, Bushroot, Quackerjack, and the Liquidator. I never thought that I would see bad sides to Launchpad or Honker, but they were very evident there in the \"Negaverse\"; it was great watching LP fire a RPG at Darkwing, and Honker chant \"Darkwing burgers\" over and over again. But I never understood how Negaduck escaped being trapped in the void between the \"Negaverse\" and the \"real\" (cartoon) universe after Darkwing pulls the \"universal plug\" out, as he appears in later episodes. Oh well. This is what is great about cartoons: there doesn\'t have to be any sense of continuity!
  • You've never seen anything like it! There is more than meets the eyes! This is really different from St. Canard!

It was very hard for me to believe that Lord Negaduck was REALLY Nega-Gosalyn's official guardian, to tell you the truth. I mean, where were the child services? Didn't they know that he had the poor, darling, sweet little girl locked up as his own slave??? This is terrible, but I'm so happy that she's got Nega-Tank and the Friendly Four right there by her side, and Darkwing Duck, too. I really liked the cute, frilly, pink dress that Nega-Gosalyn always wore. It really looked good on her, and it matched her cute little long red curls in her hair.
  • The mystery of Negaduck (not the polar-negative Darkwing Duck) is revealed - the only important thing in this whole episode.

After the disappearance of Negaduck by reuniting him with Darkwing Duck, it was strange to see another duck with the same outfit as DW running around the streets of St. Canard. Seeing that DW did not get shot with gamma rays to separate the negative charges from the positive charges, we start to believe that this criminal is a real live being who doesn't have anything to do with Darkwing Duck.

Or so we believe.

Following Negaduck after a brilliant heist from the Fearsome Five, they discover that his secret lair is actually inside a large birthday cake that leads to an alternate dimension.

Now, we know that Negaduck comes from a parallel universe from Darkwing's where complete opposites are the dominant trait of the parallel St. Canard.

The only thing that bothers me about how the writers set the plot up was that Gozalyn is a really sweet duck. If the laws of opposites are to be corrected, she should have been an evil duck because in the good alternate universe, she's mostly a do-gooder that also loves to fight crime.

Well, I suppose that if she wasn't good, then we wouldn't see a touching moment where DW's parental instincts come into play in promising to also protect this Gozalyn from the evil menace Negaduck.

Good storyline, 10/10. :)
  • Darkwing gets thrown into the Negaverse.

Darkwing Duck is forced to go to Honker Muddlefoot's birthday party by Gosalyn and Launchpad goes to pick up the cake. While Launchpad is at the cake shop, he sees four of the villains from the Fearsome Five. He runs back to the party to tell Darkwing. Darkwing creates a distraction and leaves the party. He gets to the bakery just as Negaduck is about to pound the others for finding his hideout. They grab Darkwing and throw him into a giant cake that is actually a portal between worlds. Negaduck is now furious and the others run off as Negaduck jumps in after Darkwing...