ABC (ended 1992)

Zanshinkyo

Darkwing Duck Fan Reviews page 2 of 2

• A great sendup of the superhero genre; 'Darkwing' is a true gem.

The fifth cartoon in the Disney Afternoon lineup and definitely one of the most recognizable. I admit that I loved Adventures of the Gummi Bears, DuckTales and Chip n' Dale Rescue Rangers. TaleSpin I never got into (I just never saw what the characters from "The Jungle Book" had to do with cargo piloting) but Darkwing Duck more than made up for it.

I am sure that we have all have some memory of Darkwing Duck. From his trademark openings to the villains he had to conquer, Darkwing Duck was a truly memorable series.

I am also sure we know the history of a typical superhero; they either do it out of a severe case of morality or a life-changing event that due to some psychological trauma, causes them to start to form an alternate identity. Not so with Darkwing. He doesn't do any of that; he simply fights crime and defends St. Canard due to an ego streak.

He's not alone in his quest; coming back from DuckTales is LaunchPad McQuack, an undeniable hero in his own right, Gosalyn, his free-spirited adopted daughter and her brainiac friend Honker Muddlefoot, along with former sorceress/thief turned girlfriend Morgana McCawber. There is certainly chemistry between them and they are willing to go to great lengths for Darkwing and vice-versa; it lends a strong case of loyalty and heart to the show.

Another character that was borrowed from DuckTales was Gizmo Duck, who I enjoyed because he gave a strong contrast to Darkwing--he is everything Darkwing isn't supposed to be. While Gizmo Duck fights crime out of a sense of justice and undenying heroism, Darkwing does it only to push himself as a great character (c'mon, the idea that superheroes are fighting crime without wanting to push themselves into becoming action figures is ridiculous all on its own).

The villains Darkwing fights are also a diverse crowd; the former toymaker turned Joker sendup Quacker Jack, the salesman-talking Liquidator, the electrically-charged Megavolt, the "I'm not really evil. I'm just lonely" Dr. Bushroot, the suave and smooth-talking Steelbeek, the mechanically-inclined Moliarty, and the psychotically evil Bizzaro Darkwing Negaduck. I felt these villains where the strongest in Darkwing's 'Hall of Shame' and they got many great episodes.

If there are any flaws I can see, it is that not all issues are fully explained; as an example, the original idea of Negaduck is that he is Darkwing's evil side galvanized by Megavolt's tron splitter; yet in later episodes, he is a seperate entity with no explanation as to what he had to do with the previous character (a future episode was supposed to be made to explain the link, but it never got made. I heard reports that it was mighty confusing--although I am REALLY sure the kids would completely understand the episode 'Twin Beaks'.)

Another issue that might drag it down is the idea that I am not sure the show is aging properly; what may have been cool and popular in the early 1990s might not be as intriguing today; the shows kid-friendly theme (no extreme violence) and the aforementioned 'unexplainables' might be a little more evident today than it was back then.

Regardless, I will still strongly recommend this fine show; it is deserving of it's recognizable attributes. Here's hoping a future remake will be done in the future. Nothing else to say but "Let's Get Dangerous!"
  • Let's get dangerous!

I finally got to see some of these episodes for the first time in years! It's just as awesome as I remember it! I used to watch it ALL the time and thought it was so funny. The theme song is very catchy and I still remembered it after all these years.
  • Take a gander at the main page ;)

This show was awesome! I loved everything about it... a hapless hero, a kind hearted yet simple sidekick and killer villians. It was the perfect spoof of Batman and you could not help but fall in love with the series! Who could resist the constant battles of Darkwing Vs. Megaduck or the one sided rivalry of Darkwing and Gizmoduck? This show rocked!!!
  • negaduck VS darkwingduck history

when darkwingduck and negaduck where young they had the same parents only negaduck whas he's evil brother and always whas jalous bout darkwingduck and you maybe wonder how i know these stuff well i'm going to tell you now you have darkwings adopted child can't remember her name tho anyway she and her friend with the glasses are in the future and they asked to an old man were darkwing duck came from because darkwing just showed up one day on earth so they wondered and they saw someone whas cleaning so they asked him because they sawed he's statue and the old man starts telling about the past from darkwingduck and were he came from when darkwings and negaduck were young they lived on a planet called ..... can't answer that one to bad anyway they lift on an other planet and things were going wrong on that planet because he's evil brother negaduck they were always fighting so negaduck pulled out the plugs from a machine so the whole planet would explode to bad it exploded but for darkwings sake he's parents putted him into a rocket and blowed him straight to earth but for negaduck it whas to late the planet exploded ..... you must think negaduck whas dead no negaduck took advantage of the opportunity and also fly with darkwing but darkwingduck duck doesn't know so their final stop whas in the mountains thats were negaduck dissapeared and started training but darkwingduck to so darkwing lived with the monks and they helped him with he's fighting training and build up skills and after years of training he went to a town kinda nice tho so he started working in shops so he could buy he's house and then he started living after that but there whas one thing darkwing didn't know that he had A BROTHER !!!!!! he forgot about he's brother so things were getting interresting when he whas getting older he decided to start helping people by getting a hero for them good you think... NO !! WRONG thats when troubles came up he's brother revealed himself and started to make troubles in the city because negaduck whas robbing banks and had friends that are not so friendly but darkwing duck has a friend thats called turbo and he's smart not so smart with thinking but making machines and stuff that darkwingcan use so darkwing whas going to fight the crime and clean the city and so he started living and after that alles darkwing dies on a viral hart disease and nega duck whas counting he's old days after all things were solved by darkwingduck OUR HERO and after hearing that story darkwings daughter and he's friend were amazed and they started wright story's about him so darkwing won't be forgotten and thats the end of darkwing's past and negaduck
  • Let's get dangerous!

I really thought this show rocked.It even went to Europe it was so great! *sigh* All they have now on Disney channel is "What's The Buzz On Maggie" and "That's so Raven" horseshit! Disney or cartoon network needs to bring this back to life. It was too cool. The episodes all had cool plotlines.The Nega Duck was the coolest villain Darkwing duck had to fight.
  • Simply wonderful...return it at once!

This show was simplistc and yet it was brilliantly funny. I still wish that it still on television. I think we can all relate to those good old days when we'd watch this show on Saturday mornings with a bowl of cereal and a grin on our faces. And so I say to the folks at Toon Disney, be so good as to cancel the rubbish such as Digimon and Power Rangers, which have absolutely nothing to do with Disney and restore this show to its former glory!
    I say to all fans, why not bring it back? Ratings matter less than the fans!
  • Great adventures and cartoon antics, everything I love. Disney best show based on or around super hero shows.

This is one of my favorite shows that I used to watch on The Disney Afternoon and then later on Toon Disney Channel. This show has made me laugh many times and has great stories, and the villains though bizarre are really cool, I also like how most of them got episodes that explained their origin. My personal favorite villain is Megavolt. Darkwing was a hero who sometimes let things go to his head but then later realized more important things, and that's something I also really like seeing in a show. Also being a fan of DuckTales as well, it's cool how Launchpad became Darkwing's sidekick. The episode also deliver that cartoon humor I love, it has a lot cartoon gags and plots that any fan of cartoon antics would love. I hope it comes out on DVD at some point or hopefully my "Make a Disney Channel for Classic Shows" Petition will get enough signatures for a new Disney channel exclusivly for classic shows owned by the Walt Disney Company and the ones in assossiation with it.

More I like about this, another show which I hate "Teamo Supremo" seems to have something in common with this, they were liike the Super Hero shows, Teamo was BADLY written and had absolutly horrible action and insultingly had characters that insulted other characters from super hero shows, this one however was based off them well and had villains who were a little more original sometimes, though I could say many comic villains who have stuff in common with others and many of them a humorusly and greatly parodied well. If Disney wanted another super hero show based on comics, they should have just made a sequel to this series, this show was well written and had great storylines, for the younger generation who love super heroes.

I would recommend this to many Disney fans of the duck cartoons and super heroes, and other humor lovers, this was the best super hero show from Disney EVER, a great Action/Adventure/Humor show.
  • Hey, all I can say is that I thought this was an absolutely awesome show. One of my all-time favorites of the early-90s Disney cartoons.

Simply stated, Darkwing Duck is, to me, not just one of the best super-hero parody shows of all time, but one of the all-time best Disney animated programs of all time .... PERIOD! I mean, DWD contained not only a dynamite spoof of the entire "masked vigilante hero" genre, but also some rather heart-warming family fare. It IS a shame that this show isn't as well remembered as it should be (even though those that DO remember it typically remember it VERY fondly). In addition to DW himself, most of the rest of the regular and semi-regular cast were highly enjoyable too, especially DW's trusty sidekick, Launchpad, his incredibly spirited adopted daughter Gosalyn, boy genius next door Honker Muddlefoot, reformed criminal/sorceress girlfriend, Morgana McCawber and the rogue's gallery (DW also had one of the best rogue's galleries of any Disney animated hero).

Excellent examples of this rogue's gallery include the suave metal-mouthed super-spy Steelbeak, the electrically powered lunatic Megavolt, the plant-powered nerd Bushroot, the utterly twisted evil twin Negaduck and especially the criminal mastermind turned killer cyborg Taurus Bulba. These baddies were DEFINITELY good at putting DW (who, despite his ego, could definitely show some legitimate wits and skill when his ego wasn't tripping him up) through his paces.

All in all, I said it before and I'll say it again... Darkwing Duck is, most definitely, a truly great old cartoon that deserves MUCH more respect than to be forgotten by all but the most loyal Disney fans.
  • Darkwing helps but never leaves.

Darkwing Duck follows the classic Disney Afternoon pattern of alternating between "show where the goal is to help other people" and "show where the goal is to make money."

The Gummi Bears helped, Scrooge McD made money, the Rescue Rangers helped, Baloo & Cunningham were out for a buck, and finally we have Darkwing, who helps.

But while all the other shows deal, in some part, with different cultures and social realities, Darkwing lives in the surrealistic and hermetic bubble of St. Canard, a city peopled with stylized villains and personality-less bystanders. There is no cross-cultural exchange and Darkwing never leaves the city that binds him; he is, in the final countdown, a quintessentially provincial character.
  • This was a great parody of Batman.

Think about it, Dark-Wing, Night-wing. Its very unique and clever. Disney did a great job on this one. I can watch this series over and over again. I deserved another season, but at least it got to 91 episodes, which was a nice # of episodes. If you can get your hands on a copy of these episodes, do so NOW!
  • Daring duck of mystery, the darkwing of the night!

I remember coming home everyday after school and turning on the televsion waiting for Darkwing Duck. He was one of the greatest Disney shows ever made. You had the cool gadgets and the great supervillans, such as my personal favorite Negaduck. I hope that Disney will make boxsets for this show, because I know that I will be one of the first to buy it.
  • I'm the terror that flaps in the night...

Darkwing Duck is a classic disney cartoon, with its antics, unforgetable characters and catchprases, I watched it all the time even when I had toon disney. I like the fact that they used launchpad, only cartoon charcter that was used in more then one disney cartoon.Darkwing Duck was one of those clumsy superheroes that always messed up but somehow all ways got the bad guy... of course it probably helped that some of then where just as clumsy as he was.
  • A great show! It should come back on air.

This is a spectacular cartoon. I watched it when I was 2, and I still like it. I think this show should be brought back on air! Why can't Disney make more cartoons like this? And where are the DVDs? This is #1 on my list of top three favorite cartoons. What makes me sad is how it's hard to find videos of this show, but I'll keep searching. My favorite characters are Gosalyn and Morgana's bats Eek and Squeak. I never understood why Archie the Spider never spoke, just grumbled. This cartoon is a masterpiece, and hopefully will be brought back.
  • Awesome!

Another great Disney 90's classic, with a gret blend of a kiddie adventure and adult humor. I like Gosalin,too(who else noticed it was Chuckie from Rugrats?)If for no other reason i love this show for it's theme song-who could forget this awesome ska number-

Daring duck of mystery
    Champion of right
    Swoops out of the shadows
    Darkwing of the night
    Somehwere some villian scemes
    But his number's up
    3! 2! 1!
    Darkwing Duck
    When there's trouble you call D.W.
    Lets' get dangerous
    Darkwing, Darkwing Duck

A cloud of smoke and he appears
    The master of suprise
    Who's that cunning mind behind
    The shadowy disguise
    Nobody knows for sure
    The bad guys are outta luck
    Here comes Darkwing Duck
    When there's trouble you call D.W.
    Let's get dangerous
    Darkwing Duck
    Better watch out you bad boys!
    Darkwing Duck

• "Darkwing Duck" proudly displays what a cartoon should be. Disney did a masterful job with this early 90's production. Incorporating both action and humor, plus entertaining villains into the crime fighting mix, this show was something special.

"Darkwing Duck" proudly displays what a cartoon should be. Disney did a masterful job with this early 90's production. Incorporating both action and humor, plus entertaining villains into the crime fighting mix, this show was something special. The characters are all humorous in their own way. Each one has the uncanny ability to entertain, and each one only serves to make the show better. A major plus was that there were just enough main villains to give the viewer some variety, yet not so many that they couldn't grow attached to them. Each villain reappears throughout the series quite commonly. Apart from the characters and the great storylines, "Darkwing Duck" puts forth an amazing sound reel and musical score. The theme song alone is still one of the better theme songs ever to grace the small screen (at least for cartoons anyway). The animation quality is classic 90's Disney; 2-D and fantastic. This show really proves that you don't need computer animation to make a masterpiece.

My final review: One of the best Disney cartoons ever, and nearly the cream of the crop in cartoons in general, this show is definately something worth watching. A MUST SEE!
  • The perfect show for any fan of superheros or Disney animation.

Darkwing Duck was a cartoon based on a clumsy superhero. The show had a Duck Tales feel to it yet it was still original. This classic show was on weekday mornings and it brings back many memories of getting ready to go to school! This show was not on as long as some of the other Disney original cartoon series but any fan of the disney or superhero genre will have a lot of fun with this show.

If you end up liking Darkwing Duck you will probably enjoy Disney's Duck Tales, Chip and Dale: Rescue Rangers, Gummy Bears, or Goof Troop.
  • In my view this was one of the best old shows that they put on Toon Disney. The characters were funny,the villains were equally hilarious,and it was never the same old plot used over and over again like most cartoon shows nowadays.Toon Disney should reall

Oh man this is a show Toon Disney really should put back on their channel and should get rid on Jetix on toon Disney and leave it on ABC Family. Darkwing Duck was a combination of action,cartoon wackiness and great characters.Toon Disney should really put this show back on air.
  • It was okay!

This show was part of the afternoon block that I watched after school. It reminded me of the Batman Animated Series cartoon that came on a year later. I remember mentioning Darking Duck's call in elementary school and I got in trouble for it.
    "Suck gas evil-doer!" LOL!
    Anyway, this duck named Drake Mallard was tired of seeing crime go unsolved in the city of St. Canard, so he decided to take the law in his own hands. He also had a sidekick named Launchpad and he made the gadgets. At times, I thought that Mega-Duck was his evil twin brother because he almost had the same voice. Overall, I thought this show was pretty strange because darkwing duck was sometimes quite a coward and other times he was quite full of himself.
  • Perfect combination between Disney and superheroes!

Disney usually means stuff for kids with a few exceptions. Darkwing Duck is one of them (together with Gargoyles and a very few movies).
    Of course Darkwing does resemble Batman a bit. They're both working with technical means instead of superhuman powers. To me that makes the series better. It has everything: good stories, suspense, humor, great characters and the best title song I've heard in a while.
    Therefore I was very sad to learn that it didn't run very long. Compared to other, far longer series, it was much better than most. Unfortunately the really interesting series adults can watch and being entertained by as well, don't seem to be popular with Disney.
  • When I see a show that I used to watch as a kid, I generally respond with, "How in the world could I have LIKED that???" Having recently watched Darkwing Duck for the first time in years, I expected the same reaction...but I was pleasently surprised.

Set in the city of St. Canard, Darkwing Duck tells the story of Drake Mallard (aka, Darkwing Duck) and his bumbling efforts to keep his city safe. With the help of his adopted daughter, Gosolyn, and his side-kick, Launchpad, Darkwing's missions are (amazingly) successful.

This show was well-written, well-acted, and very well-animated. Plus, its humor can be appreciated by young and old alike. Darkwing Duck is, in my mind, a perfect model of what a comical cartoon should be.
  • What's not to love? Superhero ducks are the best. Launchpad McQuack returns in this series to team up with Drake Mallard aka Darkwing Duck to clean the city of villains.

Launchpad McQuack the screwy plane driver from Duck Tales returns this time as a screwy plane driver for Drake Mallard who just happens to be the superhero Dark Wingduck. Along side his daughter Gossalyn, Darkwing Duck and his friend Launchpad faught off evil villians with funny gadgets and unexpected help.
  • A very funny program to watch.

Darkwing Duck is a very funny show and I love all the characters. My personal favorites are Gosalyn and Launchpad, because they are the more funny characters. I recomend this show if you can get a hold of a copy of this show. This is one of my favorite shows of the ones I used to watch on Toon Disney.
  • I grew in the 90's and this was a great show in the 90's.I was surprised that it got cancelled so fast for such a great show. The summary is Drake Mallard is the superhero Darkwing Duck. Along with his sidekick Launchpad and his feisty daughter Gosalyn th

One of the best early 90's cartoons. When I was online I was surprised it got cancelled within a season. This show was pretty good. I liked Drake Mallard always switching to hillarious Darkwing Duck. Darkwing is a funny character and the predicaments and stories he always gets into are hillarious. I also like Gosalyn and Launchpad they were two hillarious characters. A show this good shouldn't have been cancelled so early. I loved the theme song also, it's hard to get it out of my head. Oh well atleast it's still on Toon Disney. So I guess it isn't completely gone.
  • Disney don't make kids shows like this anymore (and it's a darn shame!)!!

In the 80s and early 90s, Disney were pretty good at making Saturday morning kids cartoons. Ducktales, Chip’n’Dale: Rescue Rangers, Tailspin, etc, were all gold. Darkwing Duck, however, sticks out in my mind as both a childhood favourite and a fantastic cartoon! It was a darker show than Ducktales, the show it was sort of a spin off from(not too dark, of course. This is Disney!), and gave the impression that it had been made to pick up where Ducktales left off, as its audience got older. It took place in a world that mixed the (comparatively) ordinary 'Duckberg' with comic book fantasy akin to that of Gotham City in Batman to create a clever and fresh take on the superhero mythology in the city of St Canard. Darkwing Duck himself is clearly a Batman wannabe, and the various villains that he does battle with are very reminiscent of some of the most prolific comic book villains (Quackerjack = the Joker, The Liquidator = Hydroman, etc), which makes this show great for comic book fans, and adds an extra dimension to the humour. Far from being a shining example of purity and truth, however, Darkwing Duck is everything we don't expect our hero to be - vain, egotistical, arrogant, impatient, stubborn, and did I mention vain? And 9 times out of 10, his initial motive for taking a case is for glory, not justice. Yet, somehow he manages to win every viewer over.

Jim Cummings gave one of the best performances I've heard in a cartoon like this with his wonderful portrayal of Darkwing and his alter ego, Drake Mallard. His over-the-top "I am the terror that flaps in the night" speech made me smile every time. He deserved an Annie for it, he really did. Terence McGovern
    and Christine Cavanaugh
    gave really strong support as well, voicing Launchpad (of Ducktales fame) and Gosalyn, Darkwing’s dim-witted sidekick and boisterous young daughter. The rest of the supporting cast featured performances from the likes of Tim Curry as Taurus Bulba, and Dan Castellaneta
    (Homer Simpson himself) as Megavolt. As well as a turn from Phil Hartman as Paddywhack.
    The writing was solid as well, doing justice to the fine acting work that brought it to life. Storylines often revolved around some variation of the 'villain is out for world domination' plot, chock full of pop culture references from Bambi to Twin Peaks! I didn't even get a lot of the jokes until I re-watched it very recently. It was fantastic.

Darkwing Duck was cancelled just before its forth season (episodes had already been written!) due to a contract re-negotiation, and it was really only just getting going. Recent plots had proved that the writers had quite a few more tricks up their sleeves, and there were rumours of the return of some villains not seen since season one. It was a tragedy it was cancelled when it was.

Disney need to look at the shows they're making today and ask themselves, seriously, "How did we get from that to this?" If you missed it as a kid (or at all), check it out, if you saw it, look it up. It's great!!
  • when i was young i loved this show a true disney classic that will be rememberd

When i was 2-5 this was the one and only cartoon i watched i had evrey tape that came out for it and had even shirts of it. I was kinda dissapionted when the show was ceanceled i asked my mom why it was cenceled it stop on like season 2 then a year later for some odd reason it came back on for like 3 month then it was gon again whired. Then i finally grew out of it like whn i turned eight it came in agian it puzzeld me. who know why all this happend maybe the rateing whent up and douwn.
  • Here's a show, I grew up with.

It was a weekday afternoon, school was out, did I go out and play, no. I turned on the Disney Afternoon, and watched great shows such as Darkwing Duck. This show is classic to me, I really hope a DVD will come out one day for it. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
  • In a word -- fabulous!

A hidden gem of Disney, Darkwing Duck is a true classic. The characters, from our caped crusader to the various villains, are memorable and entertaining. I used to watch this show religiously, and now nearly thirteen years later, I am still a devoted fan and would like to see it revived in some form of another.
1 2 >