Darkwing Duck

ABC (ended 1992)

Zanshinkyo

Darkwing Duck Fan Reviews (57)

• Darkwing Duck is the embodiment of what we all strive to attain just like he does - recognition, love, and personal achievement.

How is it that a vain duck can capture an audience back in the 90's? It's very rare that a satirical Disney character like Darkwing Duck catches my attention ever since their current downward spiral to nothingness. However, I don't think it would be fair to compare it to some of the Disney cartoons nowadays (which are few and awful to say the least) like The Emperor's New School - need I say more?

I understand where Disney was going when they created Darkwing Duck. Here's a vainglorious mallard that seems to barely touch the skirt of fame. Despite their other stereotypical heroes, DWD was an underdog of the best sorts, and it touches upon playful satire of the comic heroes of its days. I sometimes wonder with deep curiosity how DWD would be like if it were developed in today's society, influenced by culture, counter-culture, and political issues. It probably wouldn't be as successful.