Dateline NBC Forums

Friday 8:00 PM on NBCIn Season

To Entrap A Predator?

TheReverend1

[1]Oct 7, 2006
    • level: 35

One 'opinion' about Dateline's "To Catch A Predator" series almost tried to justify the actions of these adult men, claiming the teen-child was coming on to them. That because these children didn't look like children, but appeared sexually willing, it was more entrapment than catching bad, bad men.

What do you think?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

menmyteddy13

[2]Oct 11, 2006
    • level: 6
    I dont think the decoy sends any pics. I think they see them only when they show up, otherwise too many people would recognize them right away! Their photos would be all over NAMBLA and the like warning others.

To my understanding they are charged for what they said/did online. Showing up at the dateline house merely confirms they are in fact the person sending the comments, pics,  and etc. In essence these people are almost turning themselves in by walking into the sting operation.

I just cannot believe how many of them are dumb enough not to keep quiet and demand a lawyer.

Think about it, the ones they show on DL are all the ones that crack and spill their guts to Chris and the cops.

I do appreciate everything this show is doing, but I wish DL would do other things and make TCAP less frequent. Its becoming the entire focus of the show. While TCAP is important there is other news I'd like to hear about too.
    Edited on 10/11/2006 1:15am

tramlaw301

[3]Nov 4, 2006
    • level: 18

It is definitely not entrapment but as a viewer you can't help but to feel like it is entrapment. As a viewer I feel like there is no way that these "predators" can say no.  I mean it's just too good to be true the way they set them up but that is the whole point.  The whole point is to entice these men to see how far they will go. 

I think the scary thing is that for every person they catch there are 3 other men that wanted to do it but just didn't show up.  I'm sure there were men that flirted and chatted and seriously thought about meeting the "kid" but didn't go. 

KappaPsi

[4]Jun 28, 2007
    • level: 9
    if you look for submited links on the summary page i put an atricle that came out today about a sting that went wrong. apparently they did it in a small town in TX and one of the guys that perverted justice had conversations with didnt show up, so dateline went to the door of his own house to watch him get arrested anyway because he was a proscecuter for the town over. the guy commited suicide when he saw them show up at the door. now the mayor and the towns DA is letting the other 24 who did show up and got caught at the sting go, because there scared of the entrapment part. they said that dateline and the police couldnt provide evidence that the chat logs provided by perverted justice were orignal so they couldnt garuntee that perverted justice didnt entrap the suspects first, and leave that part out. its fricking crazy that possible sickos are going to be let go, but im not supprised because it was only a matter of time before something screwed up an investigation.

SoylentYellow

[5]Aug 30, 2007
    • level: 21

Its not entrapment when the evidence is recorded in chat logs that clearly detail that the predator was EXPECTING to meet a 12,13,14... year old. In some states just doing that on a computer is illegal. But when these guys show up the houses expecting to have sex with a child - its pretty much an open and shut case.

Now if in the chat room age was never mentioned or the "child" said she/he was 18 when in fact they were younger - that would be entrapment.

moonlightannee

[6]Dec 23, 2007
    • level: 6
    SoylentYellow wrote:

Its not entrapment when the evidence is recorded in chat logs that clearly detail that the predator was EXPECTING to meet a 12,13,14... year old. In some states just doing that on a computer is illegal. But when these guys show up the houses expecting to have sex with a child - its pretty much an open and shut case.

Now if in the chat room age was never mentioned or the "child" said she/he was 18 when in fact they were younger - that would be entrapment.

I hate the fact they get lengthy sentences. They deserve life without parole.

Edited on 12/23/2007 7:24pm