Dawson's Creek

Everything Put Together Falls Apart

Aired Tuesday 9:00 PM Nov 20, 2002 on The WB

• Nice episode, but Joey was a brat as usual.

7.8
    What can I say? This was a typical "season 6" episode--and by that I mean so much happens, and yet nothing happens at all. Very blah. The only noteworthy thing about the episode that I feel I must comment on is the blinding self-absorption of our little Joey Potter. If this episode was supposed to make me further hate Professor Hetson, it did not succeed. While he was unnecessarily cruel to her, Joey's nauseating sense of entitlement killed any sympathy I might have had for her. I cannot believe she was actually blaming her grade on him. Hetson said it quite well: It's the student's responsibility to get to the test on time. There's no shame in asking, or begging, for another chance, but she actually thought that for him to refuse her plea was an act of vindictiveness. How spoiled can a person be? He's not letting you take the test again because that's the rule, you twit! It's a shame she overslept, but everyone else in the class managed to get there on time. Why should he change the rules just for her? That's the problem with Joey in a nutshell--she really does expect the rules and the standards and the expectations of the world at large to change just for her. This otherwise lovely, mellow episode is ruined by this, yet another reminder of why Joey Potter is the second-most obnoxious character ever to grace the television screen (the first, naturally, is Dawson).