We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Dawson's Creek Forums

The WB (ended 2003)

1 question about the Joey / Pacey break up.

  • Avatar of Qwertyok2

    Qwertyok2

    [1]Feb 24, 2007
    • member since: 01/17/07
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 1,743
    What caused Pacey to start thinking he was not enough for Joey? Was it a single event because I feel I missed out something, I've been watching through the show with quite a fast pace and this has been kind of bothering me. Did he just grow to feel like that about himself or did Joey or someone else do something to upset him? 
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of kalan_lover

    kalan_lover

    [2]Feb 25, 2007
    • member since: 07/17/05
    • level: 11
    • rank: Red Shirted Lt.
    • posts: 626
    Thats a good question, I wonder that too. What I always think is when they went to that college party for Joey and he saw how much she belonged in college and he saw how much he didn't. I think that's what made him realize he wasn't good enough for her (I think he's great for her though!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ImpalaFan

    ImpalaFan

    [3]Feb 25, 2007
    • member since: 11/12/06
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 463
    Yeah, he really treated her like crap in Promicide (S4), but he was suffering from an inferiority complex, I think. He just didn't believe he was good enough for her.  I never thought she gave him any reason to think that way, though.  She was completely shocked when he expressed his feelings on the subject.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Qwertyok2

    Qwertyok2

    [4]Feb 25, 2007
    • member since: 01/17/07
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 1,743
    Yeah, I was like "wtf are you doing you idiot" while watching the prom episode. I had no idea where he got the idea from and I was just sad for him for screwing it up.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of -nadine-

    -nadine-

    [5]Mar 1, 2007
    • member since: 10/14/06
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 631
    Yeah.. Pacey was like the sweetest guy ever!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of SMGslayer97

    SMGslayer97

    [6]Mar 1, 2007
    • member since: 06/15/05
    • level: 34
    • rank: Wardrobe Malfunction
    • posts: 9,573
    To me the season 4 breakup seemed more about the fact that next year they were going off to college and at that point we didn't know that Pacey was going to end up in Boston anyway so how were they going to stay together? I always looked it as one of those things the writers did because the season was ending and having Pacey and Joey together next season would be difficult.

    I always thought Pacey just felt like he was holding her back, he always thought he was just gonna be stuck in Capeside and his family always treated him badly and put him down so it's only natural that he wouldn't think that much of himself at times. Joey was off to the college of her dreams and he probably felt like I said that he would be holding her back if they stayed together but also a little left behind. But that's just what I got. To me the breakup didn't really make a lot of sense or seem to have one clear cut reason, that's why I attribute it to something the writers just did because it was the end of the season and all the previous mentioned reasons.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Qwertyok2

    Qwertyok2

    [7]Mar 1, 2007
    • member since: 01/17/07
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 1,743
    Well the thing that made me question it was the way he acted at the prom. He was really angry and pissed, kind of both at himself and Joey.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of daretodream

    daretodream

    [8]Mar 1, 2007
    • member since: 06/26/05
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 1,069

    SMGslayer97 wrote:
    To me the season 4 breakup seemed more about the fact that next year they were going off to college and at that point we didn't know that Pacey was going to end up in Boston anyway so how were they going to stay together? I always looked it as one of those things the writers did because the season was ending and having Pacey and Joey together next season would be difficult. I always thought Pacey just felt like he was holding her back, he always thought he was just gonna be stuck in Capeside and his family always treated him badly and put him down so it's only natural that he wouldn't think that much of himself at times. Joey was off to the college of her dreams and he probably felt like I said that he would be holding her back if they stayed together but also a little left behind. But that's just what I got. To me the breakup didn't really make a lot of sense or seem to have one clear cut reason, that's why I attribute it to something the writers just did because it was the end of the season and all the previous mentioned reasons.

    I agree with completely and totally.

    I always have kinda thought Pacey was doing that whole, I love you but I have to let you go because it's better for you stupid stuff

    Edited on 03/01/2007 7:57pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of RobThomasGrrrl

    RobThomasGrrrl

    [9]Mar 18, 2007
    • member since: 11/10/06
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 231
    ImpalaFan wrote:
    Yeah, he really treated her like crap in Promicide (S4), but he was suffering from an inferiority complex, I think. He just didn't believe he was good enough for her. I never thought she gave him any reason to think that way, though. She was completely shocked when he expressed his feelings on the subject.

    This, of course, from his family, who verbally abused and belittled him all his life, especially his brother, Deputy Doug, who was ALWAYS a jerk in the eps that i saw (i did not watch the entire show, after the Pacey-Joey break-up, i lost the yen), and the majority of the town, who thought he would end up in jail/cemetary/skid row, take your pick.
    And you're right, of course, she NEVER would have dreamed of putting him down or treating him the way his family did.


    -nadine- wrote:
    Yeah.. Pacey was like the sweetest guy ever!

    Uh, yeah. He only bought her a wall to paint. Hell-o!


    daretodream wrote:
    I always have kinda thought Pacey was doing that
    whole, I love you but I have to let you go because it's better for you
    stupid stuff

    Yeah. And the reason that this whole thing p!ss'd me off so bad was because of that whole long and winding road they had to travel to get there in the first place! He falls for her first, and she doesn't know it, then she does know but pretends she doesn't feel the same. They finally get together but keep the whole thing a secret from everyone. Then that p!ssy little whiner Dawson finds out and gives her an ultimatum?!? (I so think he was NEVER worth all the heartache she suffered over him, he was such a jerk to her.) So she walks away and lives in agony for weeks, and that little punk walks around like he did her a favor! Then he (Dawson) finally sees how miserable she is and tells her to go for it, and she does. Then the whole "did they or didn't they" crap, the "i'm never talking to either of you ever again" phase (and you knew THAT would never last! Such a pity.), the actual consummation of the relationship (senior trip?) and then the bomb drops. Rude, man. Just plain rude.
    Pacey could have stabbed her in the kidney and not hurt her any more than that break-up, and in that setting too.

    I think ALL the writers must have been cranky THAT day. Midol, anyone?

    theGrrrl
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of daloudon

    daloudon

    [10]Mar 28, 2007
    • member since: 07/27/05
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 377
    Qwertyok2 wrote:
    What caused Pacey to start thinking he was not enough for Joey? Was it a single event because I feel I missed out something, I've been watching through the show with quite a fast pace and this has been kind of bothering me. Did he just grow to feel like that about himself or did Joey or someone else do something to upset him? 


    Pacey always had low self-esteem, especially where Joey was concerned. If you watch there are lots of scenes where he puts himself down well complimenting Joey, ussually it's as a joke but if you say it that much you must believe it, at least partly. Mostly I think it was the circumstances that broke them apart, with Joey going to Worthington and Pacey unsure of his future.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of anareboredo

    anareboredo

    [11]Apr 4, 2007
    • member since: 12/14/05
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 58

    I honestly think that the writers wanted to break them up to give some boost to the fifth season, so, they invented some lame excuse that nobody really understood. There was no good reason for Pacey's behaviour.

    Edited on 04/04/2007 12:52pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of aimeelynne756

    aimeelynne756

    [12]Apr 4, 2007
    • member since: 03/02/06
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 803

    I also think that the writers just wanted Pacey and Joey to break up at that point. It really didn't make sense.

    But I also think that Pacey felt the way that he did because Joey just accepted him the way he was and loved him the way he was. And never tried to get him to push him to do better in school or to go to college. And because of that i think he thought it was because Joey didnt think he was good enough to achieve those things.

    if you remember his relationship with Andy was exacty the opposite. She got him to believe he could do better as far as school and grades and he did it while he was with her anyway. I think he was kind of expecting the same treatment from Joey. And hes one of those people who needs someone to hold his hand and say you can do this you are better then this or he will just lose hope or not care enough.

    Of course none of these things are Joey's fault. These are all Pacey's issues mostly coming from the way his family treated him.

    What bothers me more then their actual breakup is in the following season they pretty pretend like nothing ever happened between Pacey and Joey. And Joey was just completly fine with Pacey dating her roommate. if anyone saw season 4 and how much in love Joey was with Pacey I dont see how that is very realisitic.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of clockworx23

    clockworx23

    [13]Apr 6, 2007
    • member since: 02/10/07
    • level: 17
    • rank: The Crazy Neighbor
    • posts: 1,167
    I just think he never got over the insecurity that Joey will always be better then him no matter what happens.  It sucked to watch because IMO she never felt that way but it was just something he felt in his low self-esteemed mind.  It all came together during that speech in Promicide where he played himself out and pretty much ended everything with her.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Flyboy212EAW

    Flyboy212EAW

    [14]Apr 7, 2007
    • member since: 08/09/03
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 249
    :
    I also think that the writers just wanted Pacey and Joey to break up at that point. It really didn't make sense.


    Actually, I believe one of the specific reasons they broke up was because Paul Stupin said that the popularity of the two together had just grown so much that he was afraid of it overcoming the entire show so a change had to be made. Something like that -- it's one of the commentary on the DVDs.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of daloudon

    daloudon

    [15]Apr 7, 2007
    • member since: 07/27/05
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 377
    Flyboy212EAW wrote:
    :
    I also think that the writers just wanted Pacey and Joey to break up at that point. It really didn't make sense.


    Actually, I believe one of the specific reasons they broke up was because Paul Stupin said that the popularity of the two together had just grown so much that he was afraid of it overcoming the entire show so a change had to be made. Something like that -- it's one of the commentary on the DVDs.


    Well if that was the reason then that was a stupid reason. Season 5 and 6 weren't great, they certainly could have done better with Joey and Pacey together than they did with them apart.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of SMGslayer97

    SMGslayer97

    [16]Apr 7, 2007
    • member since: 06/15/05
    • level: 34
    • rank: Wardrobe Malfunction
    • posts: 9,573
    daloudon wrote:
    Flyboy212EAW wrote:
    :
    I also think that the writers just wanted Pacey and Joey to break up at that point. It really didn't make sense.


    Actually, I believe one of the specific reasons they broke up was because Paul Stupin said that the popularity of the two together had just grown so much that he was afraid of it overcoming the entire show so a change had to be made. Something like that -- it's one of the commentary on the DVDs.


    Well if that was the reason then that was a stupid reason. Season 5 and 6 weren't great, they certainly could have done better with Joey and Pacey together than they did with them apart.


    Well, I could see why that would worry them because it was the central plot line of season four and even though Joey and Pacey were stars of the show technicly the show was still Dawson's and they were monopolizing a lot of season. Which I loved and would have loved even more had they kept them together in season 5/6. But hey what can you do. The name of the show is Dawson's Creek not Joey and Pacey's Creek and I'm sure that at the time they weren't positive who Joey was going to end up with so they didn't want to leave them together for a long time and have people fall even more in love with them and then have her once again for the ten millionth time return to Dawson for no reason at all other then the fact that she was in love with him when she was fifteen.

    Sorry, I have issues with those two (Dawson & Joey).
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of daloudon

    daloudon

    [17]Apr 8, 2007
    • member since: 07/27/05
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 377
    SMGslayer97 wrote:
    daloudon wrote:
    Flyboy212EAW wrote:
    :
    I also think that the writers just wanted Pacey and Joey to break up at that point. It really didn't make sense.


    Actually, I believe one of the specific reasons they broke up was because Paul Stupin said that the popularity of the two together had just grown so much that he was afraid of it overcoming the entire show so a change had to be made. Something like that -- it's one of the commentary on the DVDs.


    Well if that was the reason then that was a stupid reason. Season 5 and 6 weren't great, they certainly could have done better with Joey and Pacey together than they did with them apart.


    Well, I could see why that would worry them because it was the central plot line of season four and even though Joey and Pacey were stars of the show technicly the show was still Dawson's and they were monopolizing a lot of season. Which I loved and would have loved even more had they kept them together in season 5/6. But hey what can you do. The name of the show is Dawson's Creek not Joey and Pacey's Creek and I'm sure that at the time they weren't positive who Joey was going to end up with so they didn't want to leave them together for a long time and have people fall even more in love with them and then have her once again for the ten millionth time return to Dawson for no reason at all other then the fact that she was in love with him when she was fifteen.

    Sorry, I have issues with those two (Dawson & Joey).


    Yeah, me too. I just re-watched season one recently and I really loved together as friends in the season. However, by the time we got to season three and four and five and six, I was tired of their romantic pining for each other. I really wish they would have just been friends like they should have been, instead of all the back and forth constantly. And I saw what you wrote on another post about the season four finale, and I completely agree with you. It was kind of a slap in the face to Pacey and all the Pacey-Joey fans to have Dawson and Joey kiss at the window at the end of the episode. But the line I really hate, is when Joey says that the magic between her and Pacey went away pretty quickly but the magic between her and Dawson has always been there...I'm sorry, but the magic between her and Dawson hasn't been there since season one! Maybe she was just hurt about the recent break-up but stil... that one kinda hurt.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of SMGslayer97

    SMGslayer97

    [18]Apr 8, 2007
    • member since: 06/15/05
    • level: 34
    • rank: Wardrobe Malfunction
    • posts: 9,573
    daloudon wrote:
    SMGslayer97 wrote:
    daloudon wrote:
    Flyboy212EAW wrote:
    :
    I also think that the writers just wanted Pacey and Joey to break up at that point. It really didn't make sense.


    Actually, I believe one of the specific reasons they broke up was because Paul Stupin said that the popularity of the two together had just grown so much that he was afraid of it overcoming the entire show so a change had to be made. Something like that -- it's one of the commentary on the DVDs.


    Well if that was the reason then that was a stupid reason. Season 5 and 6 weren't great, they certainly could have done better with Joey and Pacey together than they did with them apart.


    Well, I could see why that would worry them because it was the central plot line of season four and even though Joey and Pacey were stars of the show technicly the show was still Dawson's and they were monopolizing a lot of season. Which I loved and would have loved even more had they kept them together in season 5/6. But hey what can you do. The name of the show is Dawson's Creek not Joey and Pacey's Creek and I'm sure that at the time they weren't positive who Joey was going to end up with so they didn't want to leave them together for a long time and have people fall even more in love with them and then have her once again for the ten millionth time return to Dawson for no reason at all other then the fact that she was in love with him when she was fifteen.

    Sorry, I have issues with those two (Dawson & Joey).


    Yeah, me too. I just re-watched season one recently and I really loved together as friends in the season. However, by the time we got to season three and four and five and six, I was tired of their romantic pining for each other. I really wish they would have just been friends like they should have been, instead of all the back and forth constantly. And I saw what you wrote on another post about the season four finale, and I completely agree with you. It was kind of a slap in the face to Pacey and all the Pacey-Joey fans to have Dawson and Joey kiss at the window at the end of the episode. But the line I really hate, is when Joey says that the magic between her and Pacey went away pretty quickly but the magic between her and Dawson has always been there...I'm sorry, but the magic between her and Dawson hasn't been there since season one! Maybe she was just hurt about the recent break-up but stil... that one kinda hurt.


    I know what you mean. I could see why she would see that about her and Pacey because after the way they got together and the fact that it took them so long it would be hard to sustain that magic through the normal and inevitable problems in any relationship (and I did feel that a little after they started sleeping together some of the magic was gone) but that she had to add that comment about she and Dawson did feel like such a slap in the face to her entire relationship with Pacey. Was she forgetting that for the whole first season he didn't even see her? Where was the magic there?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.