Dawson's Creek Forums

The WB (ended 2003)

The Dawson-Joey Romance

daloudon

[1]Apr 6, 2007
    • level: 9

Has anyone ever noticed that the only time Dawson and Joey look at each other romantically is the beginning and end of seasons? Think about, season one ends with them kissing. Then they start season two together for 5 episodes then break-up, only to get back together at the end of the season only to break up again. Then when season three starts Joey offers herself to Dawson to get him back and he rejects her. Then after that they are friends until Joey gets involved with Pacey and Dawson finally decides that he has to be with Joey. Then at the end of season four after Pacey and Joey break up, they kiss in Dawson's room, then almost start a relationship in season five until Dawson's Dad dies. Then at the end of season 5 Joey is rushing to the airport to say that she wants to be with him, and in season six they finally sleep together, only to break up the next day. WHEW! Anybody else tired? I sure am.

My point is, the show liked to have the Dawson-Joey romance the beginning and end of the season rather than in the middle. Why is that?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

SMGslayer97

[2]Apr 7, 2007
    • level: 34
    Maybe because in all actuality they were the big will they-won't they couple of the series from the pilot episode to the series finale. I mean they were together for such a brief time and they were pinned as the couple that would have a couple of on and off's after season 2 ended so it only seems natural that they would keep going back to them as a couple one to keep everyone guessing about who Joey was going to end up with (Dawson, Pacey, or neither of them) and to create that little bit of teen angsty conflict that Dawson's Creek was infamous for.

clockworx23

[3]Apr 7, 2007
    • level: 17

SMGslayer97 wrote:
    Maybe because in all actuality they were the big will they-won't they couple of the series from the pilot episode to the series finale.

I agree in that the writers/producers probably didnt want the viewer to get too comfortable with their relationship so to begin or end a season they would throw them for a loop.

SMGslayer97

[4]Apr 7, 2007
    clockworx23 wrote:

SMGslayer97 wrote:
    Maybe because in all actuality they were the big will they-won't they couple of the series from the pilot episode to the series finale.

I agree in that the writers/producers probably didnt want the viewer to get too comfortable with their relationship so to begin or end a season they would throw them for a loop.

But most times to me anyway it just felt totally unrealistic, especially at the end of season four. What was that? They spent the whole season distancing Joey from her relationship with Dawson and having her grow closer and closer to Pacey in many ways she never was with Dawson and then they slap them back together five minutes (well more like five episode) after she broke up with Pacey, the first guy she slept with. Does that somehow seems skewed to anyone? It took her what a couple of months to get over Pacey and yet she seemed to take a millenium to get over Dawson.

clockworx23

[5]Apr 8, 2007

SMGslayer97 wrote:
    But most times to me anyway it just felt totally unrealistic, especially at the end of season four. What was that? They spent the whole season distancing Joey from her relationship with Dawson and having her grow closer and closer to Pacey in many ways she never was with Dawson and then they slap them back together five minutes (well more like five episode) after she broke up with Pacey, the first guy she slept with. Does that somehow seems skewed to anyone? It took her what a couple of months to get over Pacey and yet she seemed to take a millenium to get over Dawson.

I definately didnt agree with the way the writers did Pacey dirty with having Joey jump right back to Dawson but thats what i meant when i said they wanted to throw the viewer a curveball cause i definately didnt see that one coming at all.

daloudon

[6]Apr 8, 2007
    clockworx23 wrote:

SMGslayer97 wrote:

I definately didnt agree with the way the writers did Pacey dirty with having Joey jump right back to Dawson but thats what i meant when i said they wanted to throw the viewer a curveball cause i definately didnt see that one coming at all.

It was kind of a slap in the face to Pacey and all the Pacey-Joey fans to have Dawson and Joey kiss at the window at the end of the season four finale. But the line I really hate, is when Joey says that the magic between her and Pacey went away pretty quickly but the magic between her and Dawson has always been there...I'm sorry, but the magic between her and Dawson hasn't been there since season one! Maybe she was just hurt about the recent break-up but stil... that one kinda hurt. At least we got Joey-Pacey in the end... I think the producers wanted to have Dawson-Joey together in the end but Pacey-Joey was so popular among the fans that they decided to go the other way.
    Edited on 04/08/2007 5:58pm

SMGslayer97

[7]Apr 8, 2007
    daloudon wrote:
    clockworx23 wrote:

SMGslayer97 wrote:

It was kind of a slap in the face to Pacey and all the Pacey-Joey fans to have Dawson and Joey kiss at the window at the end of the season four finale. But the line I really hate, is when Joey says that the magic between her and Pacey went away pretty quickly but the magic between her and Dawson has always been there...I'm sorry, but the magic between her and Dawson hasn't been there since season one! Maybe she was just hurt about the recent break-up but stil... that one kinda hurt. At least we got Joey-Pacey in the end... I think the producers wanted to have Dawson-Joey together in the end but Pacey-Joey was so popular among the fans that they decided to go the other way.

Hey either way I am happy because she ended up with the right person.

I actually think though that over the course of the series Pacey and Joey became the more popular couple, not to say that there still aren't plenty of Dawson/Joey fans out there but I really do think Pacey/Joey became more popular.

Flyboy212EAW

[8]Apr 9, 2007
    • level: 6
    SMGslayer97 wrote:

I actually think though that over the course of the series Pacey and Joey became the more popular couple, not to say that there still aren't plenty of Dawson/Joey fans out there but I really do think Pacey/Joey became more popular.

Agreed. And, I think a lot of that had with the chemistry that Katie & Joshua shared on camera.

SMGslayer97

[9]Apr 9, 2007
    Flyboy212EAW wrote:
    SMGslayer97 wrote:

Agreed. And, I think a lot of that had with the chemistry that Katie & Joshua shared on camera.

Defenitely, which is odd because they dated briefly long before their characters had any kind of relationship on the show. I mean if anything I would be really apprehensive and nervous about working with my ex in such a close context. That's a true mark of a pro.

Justlikeheaven_

[10]Apr 9, 2007
    • level: 33
    Alright. Im only on Season 3 where the Pacey/Joey friendship is coming about. Im sure Pacey/Joey are a good match, but i dont know there is something about Dawson and Joey that i find so adorable, even when they are not together. Their love for each other makes their chemistry just adorable even when they aren't with each other. I love it.

clockworx23

[11]Apr 9, 2007

Justlikeheaven_ wrote:
    Alright. Im only on Season 3 where the Pacey/Joey friendship is coming about. Im sure Pacey/Joey are a good match, but i dont know there is something about Dawson and Joey that i find so adorable, even when they are not together. Their love for each other makes their chemistry just adorable even when they aren't with each other. I love it.

Watch Dawsons personality from The Longest Day (one of my all-time favorite Dawsons Creek episodes) on and youll probably change your mind about Dawson.

Firetears

[12]Apr 9, 2007
    • level: 23
    That was a one episode moment. Besides, how was he supposed to react. He had to find out his best friend was dating the love of his life through his ex-girlfriend. And then she lied to him about it in his face. Sure, he said some messed up things but you seem to forget he was selfless enough to let Joey go in the finale. Why does NO ONE ever bring that up?

And I think it shows real chemistry that someone can see a couple light up onscreen when it isn't there season. That's like being a Leyton lover in season 2 of OTH.

clockworx23

[13]Apr 9, 2007

Firetears wrote:
    That was a one episode moment. Besides, how was he supposed to react. He had to find out his best friend was dating the love of his life through his ex-girlfriend. And then she lied to him about it in his face. Sure, he said some messed up things but you seem to forget he was selfless enough to let Joey go in the finale. Why does NO ONE ever bring that up? And I think it shows real chemistry that someone can see a couple light up onscreen when it isn't there season. That's like being a Leyton lover in season 2 of OTH.

That wasnt a one episode moment as he held a grudge throughout the rest of the season and beyond with trying to outdue Pacey in everything.  Remember the boat race from Show Me Love when he basically was willing to crash into Paceys boat in order to win the race.  How about The Anti-Prom when he tried to use Joey to make Pacey jealous???  If it was just a one episode moment then i wouldve completely understood it but it was far from that.  He wasnt even willing to repair his friendship with Pacey until halfway through the following season because of his immature behavior.

daloudon

[14]Apr 10, 2007
    Firetears wrote:
    That was a one episode moment. Besides, how was he supposed to react. He had to find out his best friend was dating the love of his life through his ex-girlfriend. And then she lied to him about it in his face. Sure, he said some messed up things but you seem to forget he was selfless enough to let Joey go in the finale. Why does NO ONE ever bring that up?

And I think it shows real chemistry that someone can see a couple light up onscreen when it isn't there season. That's like being a Leyton lover in season 2 of OTH.

Dawson had no right to be mad, he could have been with her if she wanted to at the beginning of the season, but he BROKE UP WITH HER, they weren't together, then all of a sudden now that Pacey and Joey are together suddenly he decides that he has to have Joey.

clockworx23

[15]Apr 10, 2007

daloudon wrote:
    Dawson had no right to be mad, he could have been with her if she wanted to at the beginning of the season, but he BROKE UP WITH HER, they weren't together, then all of a sudden now that Pacey and Joey are together suddenly he decides that he has to have Joey.

Thats exactly what im saying.  Its like he didnt give two craps about her when she was single but as soon as she starts dating Pacey hes going to pull out the jealous card.  Up to that point i actually liked his character but after his whole attitude thing with Pacey and Joey i couldnt stand him.

Qwertyok2

[16]Apr 10, 2007
    • level: 5
    Dawson was an annoying little whiner. I dont care if he had been friends / something more with Joey for all their lives. But they had their shot, they failed, or more likely he quit and then he thinks he can OWN Joey for ever, or more like not "give" her to Pacey because the 2 were friends. I found that extremely obnoxious, maybe some may find this word a little harsh but that is my honest opinion. Especially the boat race and stuff, that was just horrible and SO CHILDISH I screamed at the TV. And the way he tried to "hog" Joey to himself at the prom and wedding etc etc and the way he treated Pacey after "The longest day" I mean, what right does he have to be angry? Upset sure, rebounding sure thinking that maybe he could have had more with her. But he flat out turned Joey down and only grew attached when Joey found someone else. Also another thing I found irritating was that Mitch was also kind of blunt to Pacey, what father gets involved in teenage love triangles lmao. They didnt have alot of this but when Pacey and Mitch talked at school it came up at one point and he was siding with Dawson. For a while in the end of season 3 and start of season 4 I can honestly say I disliked Dawson the to brink of actually hating him. I felt bad watching him on the screen, not for him but for everyone around him. These are the strongest emotions of hate I have EVER felt towards a fictional character of any kind. Maybe this is childish too, idk but thats just how I felt.

Firetears

[17]Apr 10, 2007
    Think about it, if he had no reason to be upset then Pacey and Joey wouldn't have held that secret from him to begin with. I'm sure if they never LIED about it then he wouldn't have reacted the way he did. And everyone seems to keep mentioning how he regected Joey in the opening. Are you forgetting Joey was basically about to have sex with him over jealousy, the same thing half the people are mad at Dawson about.

Flyboy212EAW

[18]Apr 10, 2007
    • level: 6
    Firetears wrote:
    Think about it, if he had no reason to be upset then Pacey and Joey wouldn't have held that secret from him to begin with. I'm sure if they never LIED about it then he wouldn't have reacted the way he did.
    You're saying if Joey & Pacey would have just came out to Dawson and been like "We're together" (much like they were trying to attempt in 'The Longest Day' he would have given them his best wishes? Please. Putting way too much faith in Dawson.
    Edited on 04/10/2007 4:21pm

Firetears

[19]Apr 11, 2007
    No, but they must've known something was wrong with the entire situation if they couldn't do that. Can you honestly say with a straight face that them sneaking behind Dawson's back was right?

Qwertyok2

[20]Apr 11, 2007
    • level: 5
    Firetears wrote:
    No, but they must've known something was wrong with the entire situation if they couldn't do that. Can you honestly say with a straight face that them sneaking behind Dawson's back was right?

Yes, they liked eachother alot. Dawson was not with Joey. The were childish and delayed the ineviteable, nothing more. Dawson just had an emo meltdown.