Dawson's Creek Forums

The WB (ended 2003)

The Real Leery House

pamhalpert

[1]May 12, 2008
    • level: 14

I recently found a picture of the real house that was used as the exterior of the Leery House. A fan took a picture of it from Hewlit's Creek (The real creek in front of Dawson's house.) The fan spent some time in Wilmington and found out that the new owners of the house bought it shortly after the series wrapped. They apparantly have never watched the show, and they run off any fans and tourist that come anywhere near the house.

My question is Why would you buy a famous house from a huge hit tv show with a cult following, and get mad when someone wants to get near it?. They had to know it was considered Entertainment Memorabilia. I bet they paid well over 50% above market price.

I just saw online today that the water front condo that James Van Der Beek once stayed in during filming is on the market now for $599,000.

Edited on 05/12/2008 9:41pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

boom-moo

[2]May 18, 2008
    • level: 75

I've also heard that the owners of the 'Leery House' are not friendly with those fans who want to visit the place and get their picture taken or whatever. It is private property indeed and the new owners have their right so that nobody trespasses, but I'm with you in that they must know that the spot means a big deal to many fans.

It was probably priced accordingly to that added interest as the filming location for a tv hit, so even if they hadn't watched the show, they were certainly informed about it so they should have guessed what would happen. I know that at times (I'm guessing in summer) the place must be packed and things can get a bit crazy with many tourists trying to approach so I guess that the balance between tolerating fans presence and wanting their property and privacy respected ain't easy to maintain.

You can find very good information about filming locations for Dawson's Creek here: http://www.geocities.com/dcghosts/filmlocations.htm

pamhalpert

[3]Jul 2, 2008
    Thanks for the link!.

boom-moo wrote:

I've also heard that the owners of the 'Leery House' are not friendly with those fans who want to visit the place and get their picture taken or whatever. It is private property indeed and the new owners have their right so that nobody trespasses, but I'm with you in that they must know that the spot means a big deal to many fans.

It was probably priced accordingly to that added interest as the filming location for a tv hit, so even if they hadn't watched the show, they were certainly informed about it so they should have guessed what would happen. I know that at times (I'm guessing in summer) the place must be packed and things can get a bit crazy with many tourists trying to approach so I guess that the balance between tolerating fans presence and wanting their property and privacy respected ain't easy to maintain.

You can find very good information about filming locations for Dawson's Creek here: http://www.geocities.com/dcghosts/filmlocations.htm

emmalou2704

[4]Jul 3, 2008
    • level: 7
    I do agree that they should understand that fans will want to see the house but I also get why they are sick of people visiting the place!

When you buy a house the land surrounding it is yours so I can understand that when people don't respect your privacy that you would get annoyed!

I think its a 2 way thing but if the owners don't want people there then people will have to respect that I guess!

boom-moo

[5]Jul 3, 2008
    pamhalpert wrote:
    Thanks for the link!.
    boom-moo wrote:

It's really good, isn't it? Best one I've ever found

pamhalpert

[6]Jul 3, 2008
    boom-moo wrote:
    pamhalpert wrote:
    Thanks for the link!.
    boom-moo wrote:

It's really good, isn't it? Best one I've ever found

That link kept me busy for an hour!

emmalou2704

[7]Jul 3, 2008
    • level: 7
    I love that link, found it a while back and it keeps me entertained once in a while!

pamhalpert

[8]Mar 4, 2010
    emmalou2704 wrote:
    I do agree that they should understand that fans will want to see the house but I also get why they are sick of people visiting the place!

When you buy a house the land surrounding it is yours so I can understand that when people don't respect your privacy that you would get annoyed!

I think its a 2 way thing but if the owners don't want people there then people will have to respect that I guess!

How can you "understand" why the home owners are mad about people wanting to visit the house??. That is like when stupid people buy a house right next to an elementary school, and complain that the kids are always loud.

boom-moo

[9]Mar 8, 2010
    I think it is one of those cases where common sense should prevail, both on the side of the owner and on the side of the fans.

It is private property and the new owners have their right so that nobody trespasses, but they were certainly aware when they bought it that it was a big spot for the fans of the show and that they'll visit massively, especially during the summer.

So as long as fans are respectful and don't trespass in their approach, I think the owners should tolerate the lack of privacy.

historylover20

[10]Mar 11, 2010
    • level: 28

boom-moo wrote:
    I think it is one of those cases where common sense should prevail, both on the side of the owner and on the side of the fans. It is private property and the new owners have their right so that nobody trespasses, but they were certainly aware when they bought it that it was a big spot for the fans of the show and that they'll visit massively, especially during the summer. So as long as fans are respectful and don't trespass in their approach, I think the owners should tolerate the lack of privacy.

Agreed.

I can see why the owners don't want a hoarde of fans on their private property. They paid money for the house. They probably have it fixed up the way they want the house to look.

There are a lot of fans who would not respect the owners' privacy. They may come on their property at all hours of the night. They may try to get souvenirs for themselves.

Now, the fans who can come when the owners would agree to have a few people who want to look around and who can respect the owners, then that's something different. But, weeding out the crazies from the respectful might be a problem.

The owners probably know the house's history, even if they never watched the show. Chances are the house was on sale, they liked it, and they bought it. That simple. There are a lot of reasons for someone to buy a house.

And if the owners don't want fans on their property, well, it's their private property.

And, no, buying a house next to an elementary school doesn't compare with this. An elementary school can be a draw for people. A school close by. But, even homeowners next to a school have the right not to allow kids to trespass. In this case, there isn't a school. These people are homeowners who want their privacy.

And, I think people should respect that.

Kat

Edited on 03/11/2010 4:18pm

boom-moo

[11]Mar 12, 2010
    historylover20 wrote:
    There are a lot of fans who would not respect the owners' privacy. They may come on their property at all hours of the night. They may try to get souvenirs for themselves.
    That is just unbelievable to me. I mean, I guess it happens but that's way beyond boundaries.

historylover20

[12]Mar 12, 2010

boom-moo wrote:
    historylover20 wrote:
    That is just unbelievable to me. I mean, I guess it happens but that's way beyond boundaries.

I didn't say it wasn't way beyond boundaries. It's just that some people don't know boundaries. Or they just don't care.

Now, if everyone was respectful, I'd say the owners need to lighten up. But, a few crazies ruin it for respectful fans.

Kat

boom-moo

[13]Mar 12, 2010
    Yeah, I totally saw your point and I fully agree with you. It's a give and take and keeping things cool and sensible.

pamhalpert

[14]Mar 15, 2010

historylover20 wrote:

boom-moo wrote:
    I think it is one of those cases where common sense should prevail, both on the side of the owner and on the side of the fans. It is private property and the new owners have their right so that nobody trespasses, but they were certainly aware when they bought it that it was a big spot for the fans of the show and that they'll visit massively, especially during the summer. So as long as fans are respectful and don't trespass in their approach, I think the owners should tolerate the lack of privacy.

Agreed.

I can see why the owners don't want a hoarde of fans on their private property. They paid money for the house. They probably have it fixed up the way they want the house to look.

Now, the fans who can come when the owners would agree to have a few people who want to look around and who can respect the owners, then that's something different. But, weeding out the crazies from the respectful might be a problem.

The owners probably know the house's history, even if they never watched the show. Chances are the house was on sale, they liked it, and they bought it. That simple. There are a lot of reasons for someone to buy a house.

And if the owners don't want fans on their property, well, it's their private property.

And, no, buying a house next to an elementary school doesn't compare with this. An elementary school can be a draw for people. A school close by. But, even homeowners next to a school have the right not to allow kids to trespass. In this case, there isn't a school. These people are homeowners who want their privacy.

And, I think people should respect that.

Kat

As far as souvenirs go, most Creek Fans should be aware of the fact that only the exterior of the home was used in the show. All of the scenes from inside the Leery House were filmed at Screen Gems Studio in Wilmington.

Edited on 03/14/2010 11:15pm

boom-moo

[15]Mar 15, 2010
    pamhalpert wrote:
    As far as souvenirs go, most Creek Fans should be aware of the fact that only the exterior of the home was used in the show. All of the scenes from inside the Leery House were filmed at Screen Gems Studio in Wilmington.
    As seen in 6x02, right?

historylover20

[16]Mar 15, 2010

boom-moo wrote:
    pamhalpert wrote:
    As seen in 6x02, right?

Or "Yay! I got a piece of siding from the Leery house! Just think--this piece of wood balanced the ladder that Joey used to climb into Dawson's window!" Oh, and I hope the owners don't have a ladder.

Things like that happen. A lot more than some people want to admit. And, you're assuming that people have common sense. I've seen insane fandoms. I'm a Supernatural fan. Trust me--it's not pretty. Common sense, logic, respect for others kind of fly out the window. Just because "most" Creek fans "should be aware" that the interior was filmed at a studio doesn't mean that this fact can't be forgotten.

Kat

Edited on 03/15/2010 1:50pm
    Edited 2 total times.

boom-moo

[17]Mar 15, 2010
    I don't doubt such things happen. And I am someone who becomes easily obssessed with thigs, but I have some limits. It's just something that is in everyone's nature I guess.

pamhalpert

[18]Mar 15, 2010

I have to admit that I would absolutely go on that property and try to steal something.

boom-moo

[19]Mar 16, 2010
    Lmao! Very honest.