Dawson's Creek Forums

The WB (ended 2003)

Why did "Swan Song" seem like it was the last episode of the series?

patman83

[1]Mar 30, 2007
    • level: 6

"Swan Song" would be the perfect title were it the last episode of the series; and the storyline even treated it as such - everyone's storyline wrapped up nicely from Dawson's going off to make a movie knowing Joey loved him, Joey apparently off to Paris; Jen's on her way to reconcilewith her parents, Pacey off to California with the love of his life and even baby Lily let's us know she's not going to forget her "dada".

Can anyone answer this question, because I only recently became a huge Dawson's fan - was there a concern that the series was going to end after the 5th Season? Had it not been picked up while filming the last episode? Was everything neatly wrapped up in a bow for that reason?

Also - during the original airing life of Dawson's Creek were there any salary disputes? Did any of the major actors talk of leaving the series before it ended?  Also, along the same lines, did Meridith Monroe and John Wesley Shipp want to leave the series or were their characters sent away and killed off (respectively) purely for plot purposes?

What other kinds of issues might have made the gossip headlines during the original airing of this gem of a series?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

kalan_lover

[2]Mar 31, 2007
    • level: 11
    patman83 wrote:

"Swan Song" would be the perfect title were it the last episode of the series; and the storyline even treated it as such - everyone's storyline wrapped up nicely from Dawson's going off to make a movie knowing Joey loved him, Joey apparently off to Paris; Jen's on her way to reconcilewith her parents, Pacey off to California with the love of his life and even baby Lily let's us know she's not going to forget her "dada".

Can anyone answer this question, because I only recently became a huge Dawson's fan - was there a concern that the series was going to end after the 5th Season? Had it not been picked up while filming the last episode? Was everything neatly wrapped up in a bow for that reason?

Also - during the original airing life of Dawson's Creek were there any salary disputes? Did any of the major actors talk of leaving the series before it ended? Also, along the same lines, did Meridith Monroe and John Wesley Shipp want to leave the series or were their characters sent away and killed off (respectively) purely for plot purposes?

What other kinds of issues might have made the gossip headlines during the original airing of this gem of a series?

Those are good questions and I don't know the answer to any of them except that Meridith Monroe didn't want to leave the show. I watched a behind-the-scenes video on a website once they said that Andie had just run out of good story lines because her main purpose was with Pacey but then Joey and Pacey fell in love so she was pointless (not to sound mean or anything ).  

ImpalaFan

[3]Mar 31, 2007
    • level: 3

These are, indeed, interesting questions.  It's quite possible, I think, that they might not have known if there would be a season 6 yet, so they may have closed out certain issurs just in case. 

I never read or heard anything about John Wesley Shipp wanting to leave, or being asked to for plot purposes.  So, I have no clue.  I'm not sure about Meredith Monroe either, BUT, I did read somewhere that she herself was tired of playing a high school girl and wanted to persue more mature roles.  She was born in 1969 (according to nndb.com), so she was, like, 30 or 31 when she left the show.  I was so shocked when I found out how old she is - certainly had me fooled.  She's extremely youthful looking.  Kerr Smith isn't much younger - he was born in 72 (again, according to nndb.com).

Edited on 03/31/2007 8:58pm
    Edited 2 total times.