Dawson's Creek

...Must Come to an End (2)

Aired Tuesday 9:00 PM May 14, 2003 on The WB

Episode Fan Reviews page 2 of 2

• Dawson's Creek series finale stole my heart...again

I started watching Dawson's creek a few years ago, and I can say that I was immedialty hooked. I think I already knew then that the writing was bad and stuff, but I loved the characters and more importantly their love-interests. I bought the first 3 seasons on DVD. Then I stopped. I found new shows and found out that Dawson's Creek is fun to watch but just not really well written, and defenitly not the best show around. After a year or so I watched All good things...Must come to an end a week ago. And I'm stunned. I missed season 4,5 and 6 but they didn't even talked about that(they talked a lot about the past, but it was only about things that I saw. Wich I guess means that not a lot happened in season 4,5 and 6). You see Joey, Pacey, Jen, Jack and offcourse Dawson five years after what happened in the previous episode. Joey has a boyfriend and lives in New York, Pacey has his own restaurant in Capeside, Jen spent her time raising her child, Jack is gay with ( and this is really funny) with Pacey's brother, and dawson has his own show. I think all these thing are really real. The characters are real and these futures are too. jen death killed me. It was so incredibly sad, especially the part when she makes a video for her child and she says she wants her to be a dreamer. I cried, and I definitly don't cry a lot. This episode was a thank you to the fans and an ode to the show. It answered all your questions, made you cry and laugh. After seeing it I think I finally figured out that I really like Joey/Dawson better then Joey/Pacey. But I still loved the ending. These episodes made me see realise why I love(d) this show, and it makes me wanna watch more. All hail to Dawson's Creek, for making the best show finale I've ever seen ( wich is pretty brilliant to make me say that, after I hadn't watch it for a year where I discovered Alias, Buffy and Angel ) Thanks for the witers for giving the best end tis show could have, and thank you for making me finally love Jen at the very end of the show. You made me see that you really can write good episodes. Too bad All good things must come to an end. Adios.
  • ..Must Come to an End (2)

Five years have passed and everyone is reunited in Capeside.
    The ending to this show was very well written. Joey finally decides between Dawson and Pacey.
    I know a lot of people thought the obvious choice was Dawson, and that they would finally end up together. But I think the writers really did do this one right.
    During the show, Joey and Dawson were not together long, and when they were, they were fighting. The storyline between Joey and Pacey was much more romantic.

• The best Dawson Creek's episode.

What began great had to end great, but I didn't expect it all. Amazing. Kevin did the real great, terrific job ending the way it did. The way it was written showed how he wanted it to end. Perfectly! There is no word to describe what it is. Joey was supposed to end with Pacey and in Dawson's show "Joey" had to end with "Dawson". I cried so much when Jen died, but there couldn't be any better for Jen. Completely amazing and perfect! We just have to congratulate Kevin and all the cast for the incredible six years of terrific job they did. The best episode and the best ending someone could ask for.
  • The end of the show, but never an end to their lifelong friendships.

The series finale to Dawson's Creek can be described as the perfect Capeside ending. ...Must Come to an End was a piece of well written genius. The viewers were reminded of the timeless love triangles, endless friendships, bright humor and wit.

The friends were brought back to Capeside as adults, when they very much as still the same teenagers. They were simply friends again. There were no petty differences to seperate them. They are brought even closer when one of the friends falls ill and ends up in the hospital.

The friends are forced to say goodbye to Jen, as well as the show. In this time, they also realize not to let go of the things important to them, so they hold on to each other. At last, we are left with the same people we began with.

Dawson, Joey, and Pacey. The love, and the friendships.
  • Brilliant writing made for a perfect ending to a great series!

Series finales are a mixed bag. Some are great like the finales to Friends and Newhart. Some a terrible like the finales to Seinfield and Dallas. You never know what you are going to get. The best are normally those that stick to the character of the show. They don’t make extreme changes or have radical concepts. Nobody wants a series finale to be a concept episode.

After hearing the finale of Dawson’s Creek was going to be set five years in the future, I was a little worried. But those fears quickly vanished when I found out Kevin Williamson was going to return to the series he created, a series that was based on people and events in his life. I just knew it was going to be great. And Kevin didn’t let me down.

What Kevin did amazingly well was write the characters as they were first introduced to us. The main characters are the exact some ones as from the first season, with about 10 years of maturity. His writing was just brilliant. You could tell he lived and breathed these characters. They were like his best friends. People he had know his entire lives.

Dawson was a mirror version of Kevin. A brilliant filmmaker creating a TV series based on himself (ala Kevin Williamson). Pacey to a degree was his same laid-back self, just more mature and as fun loving as ever. Jen, oh so complicated Jen. Always so much going on behind the scenes. Joey, still her indecisive self. Always on the look out for more. Never sure of herself. And Jack… a confident mature gay man, wanting to be loved. Wasn’t Jack always wanting to be loved?

And for good measure Kevin Williamson made sure to write in the supporting cast. Gale, Bessie, Deputy Doug, and Grams (who I adore).

A quick mention of some plotlines…

1) Jack & Doug… I was leery at first, mainly because of the age difference. But Kerr Smith and Dylan Neal pulled it off. And, being a long time Dawson’s Creek fan, I can’t tell you how awesome of a twist it was to see Deputy Doug being gay!

2) Jen’s Death… When I first heard about this (before the episode aired) I can’t tell you how upset I was. Jen was my favorite character on the show. I did not want her to die! But Kevin wrote it brilliantly. With Jen and Jack’s friendship perfectly woven into the storyline.

3) Dawson/Joey/Pacey… You can’t talk about Dawson’s Creek without talking about the famous triangle. I will not go into any great detail but I loved the way Kevin resolved the triangle. It ended the way I thought it should. With Joey realizing Dawson was her childhood sweetheart but Pacey being her future, the one she grew to love. With Dawson accepting this fact, and being happy for his dear friend, Pacey and Joey.

A perfect ending to a great series! I could not have asked for anything better!
1 2 >