Dawson's Creek

...Must Come to an End (2)

Aired Tuesday 9:00 PM May 14, 2003 on The WB

• What keeps this episode from being a 10 is the ever boring love triangle.

With the exception of the triangle that never made sense, this episode is a brilliant ending to a tv-show.

I liked the "5 years later" touch as it gives more insight as to what happens in the characters' lives. The parody the show makes of itself (with "the Creek") was a great touch, I found that quite entertaining. Except for the bit about Dawson getting a meeting with Spielberg. I could have lived without that "he got a happy ending too" bit.

The love triangle was as usual a let down. This storyline doesn't work simply because no two guys would fight like that over a person like Joey. She's never been quite likeable and I think Pacey said it perfectly when he broke up with her back in the episode "Promicide". Now she's brought a third guy into play and all of them are hanging on to the hope that she will choose them, not caring a bit that she loves two other guys as well. The truth is that the only realistic ending would have been for Pacey and Dawson to realise that Joey is not worth their love and above all their friendship with each other. In real life Joey would have ended up alone and that's just the way it is. It doesn't help that Katie Holmes delivers yet another performance which is meek at best. Someone ought to tell this woman that "angry" does not mean "croach forward and squint". Holmes never brought a shred of depth into her character which is one of the main reasons why Joey is a much less loveable character than the others.

The rest of the cast did a great job with the acting though. Kerr Smith, James Van Der Beek and Michelle Williams in particular. The chemistry between Jack and Jen never fails, they are a great pair of friends and the two actors seem to bring out the best in each other.

It was a great touch to bring Andie back for the finally. She was a big part of the show at one point and I always missed her once she was gone. Glad we got to see what happened to her.

The storyine of Jen's death was really the one to carry the emotional weight in this episode. It really cast a light on how pointless the love triangle is and how little we ought to care about it. Throughout the episode my focus was on the Jen storyline and the triangle scenes were just fillers. Although I don't quite buy into the whole "suddenly she's dying and not even Jack had guessed it" thing I think that every scene in the storyline past that point was beautifully written and very realistic. I'm especially glad that Jack will be raising baby Amy. It seems like no one else could.

An emotional episode which nicely ties up some loose ends and allows us to see what the future has in store for our characters. It brought back some old characters for the old fans, it introduced some new ones. And it ended with a good montage sequence. Had it not been for the triangle then I would have given this episode a 10.