Dawson's Creek

...Must Come to an End (2)

Aired Tuesday 9:00 PM May 14, 2003 on The WB

• and I still cry every time...

So, it was the end of something big on the WB the night Dawson's Creek drifted away into television history. I popped popcorn (before I remembered exactly how much I hate the stuff) and after that I scooped out ice cream instead. I made sure all my supplies were in reach in. I told my mother, who for some reason decided she wanted to watch the series finale with me, even though she would never deign to watch any of the episodes leading up to it with me. It reminded me of when 90210 ended, and I locked myself in my room for the entire episode. I didn't speak to anyone all night, not even after it ended. When a show that you're so completely devoted to ends, it's hard to cope with the loss of the characters. After all, these characters give you weekly updates, and you see into the deepest most intimately personal moments of their lives. That's more than some friends and family members do. So with the loss of the television show comes the loss of much beloved friends... and ones that you put up with for some reason you couldn't understand.
    I'll always remember the first episode, and how much I loved it. I remember the way it began and ended and how I just knew that it was the beginning of something, and everybody knew it.
    I'm still so heartbroken that Jen died. I still cry everytime I watch it, every scene of her in the hospital, those lines she and Pacey share about her dying are the beginning of the waterworks. It's crying from then on out. With each bittersweet scene I'm reminded of rebellious Jen, telling Grams off, getting drunk with Abby, telling Joey off, trying to seduce Dawson. When she died I almost have to leave the room, the funeral tears me up. And Joey and Dawson realizing how they tried to make more out of their friendship than was there, and how much they hurt each other in the process. Finally Joey and Pacey were back together and everything was as it should be between the three of them. They were all friends again. Sadly Jen wasn't there to see it.
    The only thing that will keep me from missing the show too much is the fact that it will be in syndication forever!
    Goodbye Dawson, Joey, Pacey, Jen and Jack. We'll all miss you deeply!