Dawson's Creek

... That Is The Question (2)

Aired Tuesday 9:00 PM Feb 17, 1999 on The WB

• Rumours about Jack continue to spread and Jack finally admits to himself the truth. Pacey has to decide whether to continue to stand up for what he believes in or apologize to the teacher.

"... That Is The Question" is my favourite episode in season 2. Part 2 is a lot more dramatic than part 1. I love how Jack comes out to his father in this episode. It's one of the most memorable scenes for me. It's very intense with crying. And it's sad how his father doesn't accept him. I love how Pacey apologizes for spitting on the teacher but he doesn't apologize for his reason for spitting on the teacher. Grams was so awesome in this episode. I love how she accepted and supported Jack right away. I give this episode a 10/10.
  • One good episode!

After what happened to Jack in school, the rumor just won't stop going around. Even after Joey decided to make the scene in front of everyone, the decision was still back to Joey on what exactly she wanted in her life. Also, she really needed to find out the truth about Jack. I find the McPhee family quite unfortunate. A Father who walked out of them, a Mother having some symptoms, an elder brother who died, Andie on medication, and Jack revealed his sexual preference.
    This episode really touched me when Jack told Joey the truth, and how she took the news while she was still preparing for the romantic dinner.
    The ending was expected that Joey would go to Dawson again through the window. However, the part was so touchy that I found myself in tears seeing Joey going back to Dawson for comfort. :(
    Such a great episode at the end.
  • One of the best episodes of Dawson's Creek!

Jack finally comes out. He first tells his father that he's gay This is one of the most intense moments of the series. It is up there with Jen's death.
    Jack: You wanna resolve this? Then you ask me again. Joseph: ask you what?
    Jack: the question! Ask me the question again! Ask me if I'm gay ask me.
    Joseph: you are not gay.
    Jack: Yes i am! You know it. I see how you look at me and i know you know. Think about the that you treated me and the way that you treated Tim, because he was the real son and i was different.And as hard as you've tried to stamp it out or to ignore it, I've tried harder. I've tried harder than you to be quiet, and to forget, and to not bother my family with my problem. But I can't try anymore, because it hurts. I'm sorry, Dad. Andie, I'm sorry. I don't want to be going through this. But I am. He then thanks Pacey for standing up for him during Mr. Peterson's class. Then he tells joey that he's gay Joey is heartbroken, but is thankful that he was finally honest.
  • After a frustrating first part "To Be or Not to Be..." , this conclusion is much better because there is some resolutions.

Jen and her grams stands up to her religious boyfriend about not judging gay people. She tries to dump him and he says he wants to be taught and asks if she is open to change with her liberal views. Jack finally admits to himself and his father/sister and then finally Joey that he's gay and it causes him and Andy to be closer and tell the father to leave. The best part is that Pacey finally gets statements from other students and decides to take his case to the school board from how the teacher acted last week, but the teacher resigns before that happens. Of course after Pacey says that you earn respect not with fear but with compassion, then the teacher leaves his last words of sting with asking Pacey if he should respect him since he's the one who ended his career, where's the compassion in that? I'm glad some things are wrapped up because how many times can people ask Jack if he is gay? Hopefully I won't have to hear that much often, because it should only take one time to figure it out. This episode basically is screaming things are not black and white. It's a huge grey area to try and sort out. Not just one set of right and wrong and things can't just be sorted into good or evil.