Dawson's Creek

True Love

Aired Tuesday 9:00 PM May 24, 2000 on The WB

• Joey was obiviously escaping her feelings for Dawson. Dawson is such a big person, i mean to let the one you love go to another guy! This episode made me not like Joey, shes waay to flighty. Jack and Dawsons crying scenes are so heartwrenching!

7.2
    Very sad episode, but very necessary in order for the characters to grow. Jack needed to find the courage to be gay and not care what anyone thought. And Joey had to go with Pacey so she wouldn't regret it later. And Dawson had to tell Joey his feelings and let her make her own decision.
  • Great season finale.

Wow!! First of all the tensions between Pacey, Dawson, and Joey, then the second wedding for the Leery's, and then last minute romance for Jen, and Jack. Of course Joey would be there for Dawson, but she seemed to be just stuck there with him when her heart truly was for Pacey. Although I didn't see why Dawson had to have Joey all for himself and won't let anyone else have her when he stopped talking about his feelings for her for such a long time already. In "Four to Tangle" Pacey already told Dawson that Joey was like a Goddess who every guy'd love to be with. It was always till the very end when the decision would be made. I really didn't like Dawson too much in this episode after all.
    It was too bad that Jack went to find Ethan but only to see him already back with Brad. What a hearbreak to watch that. I think Ethan was such a cute guy, why not another chance. After all it was really jack's first time.
  • Dawson's parents have their second wedding. Grams, Jen, Jack, and Andie go on a road trip. Joey picks Pacey.

This episode was a great way to end the season. Dawson doesn't get the girl of his dreams. He finally lets Joey go after Pacey. The one thing I didn't get is if Joey and Dawson will still be friends are not. Well of course they will be because there are 3 more seasons to go. Dawson's parents got married and now they are back together. There has been so much drama between them and all of sudden they get married. I thought the wedding was rushed but it made Dawson learn that Joey doesn't love him back. Pacey is leaving Capeside for the summer. Joey finally tells Pacey that she loves him and they leave togther on the trip. One thing that bugs me is Joey didn't tell anyone she was leaving and she brought no clothes except the ones she wearing. The road trip Grams, Andie, Jack, and Jen made was so cool. Grams is one of the coolest grandmothers on television. Wow!! She's a fast driver. I am glad everything worked out between Jen and Henry. Jack finally kisses Ethan but Ethan gets back together with his ex-boyfriend. I liked Ethan but now I think he's a jerk. I liked the end when Dawson, Jack, Andie and Jen were in his bedroom. It looks like they are going to be hanging out all summer. I give this episode 10/10.
  • Fine ending for the season.

Great to see Joey finally pick Pacey over Dawson. I had always rooted for Pacey. Not that I don't like Dawson - he is emotionally quite mature then his other friends, but he is also quite complex, on the other hand I appreciate Pacey for his simplicity.

Dawsons weeping on the deck is quite heart wrenching; letting go of a childhood sweetheart takes a lot of courage and emotional maturity. Feeling sad for Dawson.

Jen gets together with henry with some help from Grams. But not much luck for Jack who finds that Ethan is back with is ex-boyfriend Brad.

All-in-all a fine ending to the season.
  • Joey makes a decision.

I'm not going to lie. I've never been a Pacey/Joey shipper. I identify a lot of chemistry with them, which is undeniable, as it was always clear that Josh and Katie loved doing scenes together, and both actors were happy that Joey picked Pacey in the end. I guess I just always felt like Dawson and Joey were... meant. And I knew once Pacey was brought into the mix, things would never be the same for Dawson and Joey again. And it kind of upset me, because I'd always rooted for them in earlier seasons.

Quite a lot of things happen in this episode. Jack finally decides to kiss Ethan, but is heartbroken to find he is back with his ex-boyfriend. Mitch and Gail Leery renew their vows in a somewhat bittersweet ceremony. Jen's boyfriend Henry goes away for the summer on a sports scholarship, but not before Jen says her final goodbye where she admits she loves him and that is why she was too scared to sleep with him after Prom. They had quite a sweet relationship, shame the writers don't do it justice in Season 4.

Back to the everlasting triangle ... Joey spends the day analysing her feelings in her head. She seems at a total loss whenever it is suggested that a decision has to be made. Dawson notices her unease at the ceremony and it upsets him. Joey fails to convince him she is happy about everything. Whilst all this is going on, Pacey is ready to set sail on his boat, named True Love. At one point, Doug Witter persuades Joey to go see him and put his mind at ease once and for all. But Pacey is adamant that he is going, and points out that Joey needs to do the running for once, that she has not given him a reason to stay.

The ceremony concludes, as Pacey shows up and receives a cold reception from Dawson, whilst Joey looks on in a bewildered state. Things could not be more tense between the three lifelong friends. There is a pivotal moment for Pacey and Dawson as they realise "things are never gonna be the same" between them ever again. No matter what the outcome of the triangle, the damage has been done.

In an emotional scene, Dawson decides to let Joey free to pursue Pacey. He is clearly heartbroken, but knows if he does not let her go, he has lost her anyway. Because, heartbreaking as it is, her heart is now with Pacey. Even though technically the love will always be there between Joey and Dawson. Joey runs after Pacey and they get together, the last scene showing them sailing off into the sunset.

As a longtime DJ fan, it's hard to know what to make of this episode. I used to hate it, purely and simply because of Joey's decision, but looking back now, it was clear that Joey had fallen in love with Pacey, and so Dawson's realisation of this allowed him character growth in many ways. An eventful episode and a rather fitting season finale.
  • Pacey and Joey are finally together, Dawson gets what he deserves, Jack and Jen fight for what they want.

It was nice to see Mitch and Gail finally together again. Jack and Jen also had a good end of season plot and it was nice to Grams break out of her super religious, incredibly prim and proper character. However, what I really enjoyed was the Pacey/Joey interaction. While I felt somewhat sorry for Dawson, it wasn't his decision as to whether or not Joey could be with Pacey and she didn't need his permission. They'd been broken up for a year and even if they had still been dating and she'd developed feelings for Pacey, it wouldn't have been his place to give her permission, he didn't have control over her life and it pisses me off that he always that he did. Aside from that, he only reconized Pacey as his "best friend" when it was convenient for him. All in all though, it was an excellent season finale.
  • Finale

JOEY: I think I'm in love with you.
    PACEY: You think you are, or you know?
    JOEY: I know it. I've know it since the moment we kissed, and maybe even before that. And as scary as it is, I don't want to deny it anymore. I don't want to run from it or let it run from me. PACEY: So what are we going to do here?
    JOEY: I'm still not gonna ask you to stay. PACEY: I see... JOEY: Because I want to go with you.
    PACEY: Wait a second... are you crazy?
    JOEY: I want to stop standing still. I want to go forward. I want to go with you, Pacey.
    PACEY: What about Bessie and the B&B -- they need you.
    JOEY: Not as much as I need you
  • Great Episode

Mitch and Gail get re-married. While Pacey decides to sail off for the entire summer. Joey must make a desicion between Pacey and Dawson. During Joey's liyyle going away party, Grams, tells them a story which eventually leads Jen into forgiving Henry before he leaves. Afterwards Jack finally works up the courage to kiss Ethan only to find out that Ethan has gotten back together with his ex. At the end of the episode, Joey decides to tell Pacey she loves him and the two of them sail off for the entire summer, leaving Dawson heart broken and depressed. This is one of my, or my favorite episode in season 3.
  • The ending some of us were waiting for...

I happen to have loved the ending. I thought it was perfect. I had been waiting for it somewhere around the end of the first episode of the season. I felt like Dawson had betrayed Joey with the whole Eve fiasco. And that Pacey was the one who stood by her when Dawson had better places to be. Actually, the whole being on a boat, alone all summer was genius. Though I think we all were wishing we could see just one more episode. But, it couldn't have ended any better. Pacey and Joey finally able to be together. Dawson left alone to figure out what Joey truly means to him. Couldn't wait till next season.
  • Its about Joey finally deciding who she really wants to be with for the time being. Also Mitch and Gail's wedding. Jack's frist kiss, Jen going after Henry, Grams helping them both out. Pacey and Joey telling one another their true feelings.

Seeing the promos for this episode pretty much told me Joey was going to go for Pacey. But at first I thought she was going for the usual Dawson. I was glad how this episode ended. Sorry to any DJ fans, but their relationship was very. . well it just wasn't having that soul mate vibe to it anymore. Maybe the lack of chemistry between James and Katie. (Shrugs). Pacey and Joey are just right for one another. All in all this episode prove to be one of the best DC moments that the show was able to make.
  • Nice romantic episode in where not everything revolves around the love-triangle, which i think makes this a good episode.

Great great great! I cried my eyes out. I just recently began watching all series of the Creek and i truly love it. I can't wait to begin watching season four. This episode was romantic and funny at the same time. I liked the whole love-solution-thingy with Grams and co. and her car. And of course the (predictable, but very well-done) ending with the two lovebirds sailing away. Pretty strong stuff in this one (Jack and Ethan, Jack and his father, Dawson crying his eyes out (just like me). A nice last episode to end a great season. I need more!
  • Best episode and season finale I ever seen...

Best episode and season finale I ever seen and only for this I love Dawson's Creek more than other TV shows.

Greatest scene to me is when Dawson and Joey talk with each other after the "re-wedding" of Dawson's parents. Yeah, they got me. It is once a year I cry about a TV broadcast and additionally though I am great fan of the Joey/Pacey relationship this scene makes me really sad.

But: It is not a big surprise what is happen. He realize the fact, which other can be seen earlier, that Joey hopeless crush on for Pacey. She was physically there with Dawson, however mentally she was only by her true love. That shows the all the pictures especially after she have heard of the close departure of the “True Love” for three months. I think the implication of big words, which are spoke out at the wedding, let she recognize to be with Dawson was not what her heart says and this is visible and so obvious to Dawson. So he does the one and only thing he could do in this situation – although this breaks his heart.

At the moment, which the "True Love" leaves the port of Capeside it is obvious what we will and wanna see in the series final at season 6...
  • Pacey and Joey are great together. Dawson doesn't deserve Joey and he doesn't deserve Pacey as a friend.

This was a great episode because Joey and Pacey finally get together. But I think the biggest surprise was Dawson doing something unselfish for once by letting her go. Although he had to get in a few digs about her and Pacey being a mistake. From the beginning of the series up until the very end, Dawson is a selfish person. I think what really shows his character is how he treats his "best friend", ie. forgetting his 16th birthday and only wants him around for selfish reasons because he thinks Pacey makes him look better.
  • The best season finale of the show.

This season finale was filled to the brim with all kinds of realtionship drama. It made it very fast paced and very terful but thankfully it ended the way, I think, every true creek fan wanted. Paccey and Joey together but, unfortunately, not forever. At least not until the series finale! Whoops, I let a little something slip there for those of you who didn\'t know.
  • I watched this episode over and over again. Moreover, I literally cried every time I watched it. It was so romantic and breath taking. If I could choose one episode to watch for the rest of my life, this would be it!

We were all worried about Joey’s decision. Would she pick Dawson: her soul mate or would she pick Pacey: her true love?

We were all in doubt that Joey would pick Pacey. Joey is nothing but an average teenager like us who did know how life worked. When Pacey walked into her life, he made things even more complicated because she knew that she loved him. Nonetheless, she was afraid of loosing Dawson.

In addition, I know most of us could not care less about Dawson, but I think we all should be proud of him when he aloud her to run off with Pacey. I give him two thumbs up. Most guys would not be brave enough to do that.

Dawson: Joey, come on. Even I can see it. Pacey is this year's Paris. And this time you have to go. You have to see for yourself. I can stand here and tell you that it's a colossal mistake and that all roads lead back to me, but that's not going to make any bit of difference. Words and speeches sound great, but they don't add up to anything. All that matters right now is what you want.

Joey: I don't even know what I want, Dawson.

Dawson: Yes you do. You want him. (Joey begins to cry) You want him like I want you. You love him like I love you. The only difference is, he loves you back the same way. And you deserve that, okay? And I'm not going to be the one who stands in the way of you getting there. You're free. Do can do whatever you want.

I was crying during those last five minutes.
    Joey: I think I'm in love with you.

Pacey: (with his back towards Joey) You think or you know?

Joey: I know. (Pacey turns to look at Joey) I've known it since the moment you kissed me and maybe even before that. As scary as it is, I don't want to deny it anymore, Pacey. I don't want to run from it and I don't want to let it run from me.

Nothing was more beautiful than actually experience the truth. We all knew they would end up together.
  • Yeah Pacey and Joey!

I was so mad at Joey for letting go of Pacey when he loved her so much, all for that stupid Dawson. And when she went running down that pier, I have never been happier. It was one of those moments that stick in your mind about your favorite show. You replay it in your mind all week long, heck forever. Even if you wanted Dawson and Joey to hook up (which I didn't) you knew that at that moment Pacey was the only person who would make her happy. Dawson wanted her for selfish reasons.

I just know that I couldn't wait to see what happened that next season, but because I had gotten what I wanted (Pacey and Joey together)I was satisfied despite that it was the season finale.
  • Joey and Pacey finally get together! The actually sail off in the sunset. It was a great wrap-up for a great season!

This was the last episode of the 3RD season. I would have given it a 10 but nothing is perfect. Joey and Pacey ended up together after an extremely bumpy year. If you were to only see one season of Dawson's Creek, make sure it's this one. Everything before it led up to it and everything after was incidental to it.
  • Mitch and Gale get remarried while Joey is still caught in the middle of Dawson and Pacey. Henry's off to football camp while Jack ruined his relationship with Ethan. And Andie...well, she's just Andie.

In my book, this is by far the episode of the series and here are my top 10 reasons why:
    10) Mitch and Gale finally re-marry
    9) Grams' U-turn
    8) "Ask Me to Stay" on Joey's wall
    7) Dawson's toast
    6) Dawson cries on the dock
    5) Jack and his dad have a moment "I didn't ask for a gay son but I'm sure glad I got one"
    4) Thomas Culpepper
    3) the gang comforting Dawson "It's our pain that makes us real"
    2) Jen and Henry at the rest area - "I'm the reason we didn't have sex after prom"
    1) the very last scene!!! "Permission to come aboard?" "You think or you know?"
    ahhh... so many good quotes!