Day Break Forums

ABC (ended 2006)

They've canceled it!

SWERJ321

[41]Dec 17, 2006
    • level: 19
    Well, all 13 episodes were already shot so they could put them on a DVD. At the very least, you can hope Sci-Fi or someone picks it up to play the whole thing.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Dean_Troy

[42]Dec 17, 2006
    • level: 6
    I am pissed about this. The show was great. I agree. No watching a new show until its been on for a few seasons...........Now I must watch Lost. I really did not think that show could last with its storyline and now look at it. I seriously can not believe it.
    Edited on 12/17/2006 8:53pm

Shezb

[43]Dec 17, 2006
    • level: 15
    I knw its was the best show ever. what did thy expect anyway its the busiest month every of course the ratings were going to drop. thy should give it a 2nd chance in mid Jan. i miss it already

djariya

[44]Dec 18, 2006
    • level: 19
    This is probably a 100% clear sign to ABC and other networks to not produce an original show to air during the holidays. Next season, expect only re-runs during November-January. Bottom line= Noone is watching

HexusOdy

[45]Dec 18, 2006
    • level: 2

Do the Networks not realise that a major reason that new shows are not getting the ratings they deserve is that the viewers have lost faith in them? Viewers are not picking up on new serials because they know there is a greater than 50% chance that it will be cancelled. So they wait until it is is given a complete series or the 1st series is complete and a 2nd ordered. All the viewers know that they can then pick it up on repeats so why invest in getting involved in a new series when there is a good chance the idiot execs will cancel it? In effect they are causing their own downfall.

If a network committed to a series I'm sure it would pick up more initial viewers. If they came out and said they would guarentee to air the whole series as planned more people would commit to it I'm sure. Not only that but why do the various networks plan their line up around 3 hours in the evening 5 nights a week? Why do they put new unproven shows up against proven shows with big audiences such as Lost and then wonder why it doesn't get the ratings? Smith springs to mind as a recent example.

Alot of people record their TV viewing now so they can watch it when they want so why not put new shows on in a later slot or even at weekends? Personally I thought Day Break was a great show. Good acting, great story line, and actually made you think. Gutless execs really need to start backing their original decisions.

I hope the same doesn't happen to Veronica Mars after this season. In my opinion its one of the best written most entertaining shows ever to appear on TV. Its an absolute gem but again doesn't get the audience it should due to a bad time slot and poor marketing.

Networks wake up. Stop looking at demographic stats from less than 1% of the population and look at sites like this and IMDB where the show is highly rated on both scores. If a show is rating well there is nothing wrong with the show.....there is something wrong with your marketing or your time slot. Show some balls and commit to your decisions. Keep short changing the viewer by cancelling shows and you will just lose your audience.

Edited on 12/18/2006 3:19am
    Edited 3 total times.

HexusOdy

[46]Dec 18, 2006
    Also may I add I have never understood why networks cancel an original series such as this and put reruns of a show in its place that gets even less ratings??

It was supposed to continue airing until late December with KOP replacing it on Jan 3rd but now they have taken it off ait all together to no doubt be replaced by something on its 5th rerun. Why?

Why not just let it air as planned then move the final 4 episodes to a later slot so its fans can at least complete the experience? Even if you air them at midnight or 3am in the morning at least they can record them to view later!

dariosss

[47]Dec 18, 2006
    • level: 12
    i think i am going to kill someone if I don't get those chapters

AlkaStealther

[48]Dec 18, 2006
    • level: 29
    I'm very sorry, I really don't understand why people don't watch this show, it was very promising

kendahlj

[49]Dec 18, 2006
    • level: 5
    HexusOdy wrote:
    Also may I add I have never understood why networks cancel an original series such as this and put reruns of a show in its place that gets even less ratings??

It was supposed to continue airing until late December with KOP replacing it on Jan 3rd but now they have taken it off ait all together to no doubt be replaced by something on its 5th rerun. Why?

Why not just let it air as planned then move the final 4 episodes to a later slot so its fans can at least complete the experience? Even if you air them at midnight or 3am in the morning at least they can record them to view later!

I am with you Hex... I just don't understand how yanking it and showing a repeat of some stupid comedy is better than just airing the original shows that have already been produced and paid for. Maybe they think more people will purchase the DVDs the fewer episodes they air. Unfortunately, I will be buying the DVDs because this was an awesome show, but I hate giving ABC my money. I think there is a real problem with the ratings. I don't get how crap like Ugly Betty can claim so many viewers. And really, three million people were watching and that's nothing to sneeze at...

beaucfus

[50]Dec 18, 2006
    • level: 4
    jmkdog wrote:
    ABC made some real serious mistakes. This may be the beginning of the end for the alphabet. sinking fast. I will be watching showtime and DEXTER , **** network TELEVISON, sad sad sad. dummies

Dont forget about Rome Season 2 on HBO in Feb.  Dexter Season 1 just ended last night, now that was an awesome ending to a season.

0roro

[51]Dec 18, 2006
    Why cancel any show if the ratings go down in December, when everyone is busy with Christmas planning and not watching a lot of TV. I have decided not to watch anymore local channel shows because everything gets canceled and leaves you hanging. I was very much into this show, Surface, Invasion, The Nine, Smith, Thief, Six Degrees and a host of others, but they just don't give anything a chance. I remember watching the first episode of 'Head Cases', we all laughed like crazy and then it was canceled after that one show. The 'Lost in Space' series that was supposed to happen a couple of years back was canceled before it even aired, despite haviing a full season filmed. The new show with Joe Pantoliano and Larenz Tate has also been canceled without even being aired. Back in the mid 70's every show was on for a full season, whether that had a season two or not, they never left you hanging.

Will_of_the_D

[52]Dec 18, 2006
    • level: 14
    I think, America is to blame for shows that fail. Face it, networks want MONEY and only money and many American people these days are basicl stupid. I mean, most people hate shows like Lost etc. cause they cannot comprehend the story. That is why many shows like Lost fail.

mrf34gvec

[53]Dec 18, 2006
    • level: 3
    The things about rating nowadays is that they are watered down and overvalued. There are so many different channels out there to watch...I've never trusted the way rating are determined anyway...

hamstrman

[54]Dec 18, 2006
    • level: 15

Veronica Mars is having this same trouble with the ratings because there are no Nielsen boxes in college dorms, the primary audience of the show. It is sickening how eager networks are to get shows off the air nowadays. Adam Baldwin can't catch a damn break! First Firefly, then Angel, now Day Break! Can't this guy find a steady job?

On a side note, does anyone who has had experience with their show getting cancelled and being shown on the network's website know if it is one show a week or all at once? I mean, they're dumping the show anyway, why wouldn't they just throw them all up there?

mrmoo3

[55]Dec 18, 2006
    Oh that sucks. What is wrong with these execs? Its getting to the point where there's no point watching anything till its been around awhile.
    Edited on 12/18/2006 2:48pm

guidryp

[56]Dec 18, 2006
    • level: 8
    Another unhappy Canuck here. ABC tv viewing is not Available in Canada. Geez ABC, your network airs here, we see the shows on the same day, we speak the same lanugage and share the same freaking time zones.

I think I moving my TV watching to DVD rental only. TV programming is just so screwed up.

dannyphantom92

[57]Dec 18, 2006
    • level: 6
    i dunno

thunderdeed

[58]Dec 18, 2006
    • level: 7
    I know day break was not put on to replace lost. (my appolages to anyone who liked the show.) I just did not want any outher show on but lost on wed. night. Look I like lost o.k. and I don,t care if they show a rerun I have 70 chanels I,ll watch something else then until then the new shows are ready to go so put them on first of the year o.k. ABC? merry christmas

Singh-Shady

[60]Dec 19, 2006
    • level: 13
    kenji_sallk wrote:
    It's mainly horrible in the sense that the series is going to end without full closure. They'll resolve the Garza murder conspiracy, but they apparantly won't fully explain everything (including why Hop keep Day Breaking etc).

The fact that they had to write the series with the ability to adapt to a longer-running drama kills its ability to be a successful inclosed story, yet the business of network television will prevent it from being told the way they made it to. It's another case of networks birthing flawed incomplete stories. I hate this. (I only watch Daybreak, Lost, House and Prison Break on tv anymore because of this kind of crap).

It should've been on HBO.

I agree with you. You don't write a show to tell the FULL story and all the interralitionships between characters in one season-you plan for future seasons. Now, the show is canceled because ABC is full of greedy bums...this show was seriously good, why NOT AT LEAST TRY A DIFFERENT TIME SLOT?? Give this show a fair shot, it's solid. Or at least do what NBC did with Friday Night Lights and support the show because it's so good, despite the low ratings.