Day Break Forums

ABC (ended 2006)

They've canceled it!

border304

[61]Dec 19, 2006
    • level: 2
    This is utter nonsense. Another great show cancelled. Cannot believe they have done this. I still haven't recovered from Invasion getting the axe ffs. And don't even mention Firefly to me!!
    I blame you Yanks tbh. You create some of the best TV available then axe it before it gets going. This is so much better than Lost, yet that show keeps going. What are you guys thinking over there?
    I'm not going to watch anything that isn't in its second season now. Gutted.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

KerNunnos

[62]Dec 19, 2006
    • level: 4
    Aside from my vehement loathing of the show's premise and execution since the first few minutes of the first episode (which I got flagged for trolling about, thank you), this show simply shouldn't have been put opposite 'Criminal Minds'. I said it then and I'll say it again: 'Minds' owns that slot.

As for the show itself, my loathing lulled somewhat after a few more episodes, but it was clear that following the storyline would require a sustained suspension of disbelief that the audience simply wouldn't be willing to give. It's generally a fatal mistake for a show to under-estimate its audience's self-perceived intelligence, irrespective of whether that intelligence exists or not. People just stop watching.

hansiu

[63]Dec 20, 2006
    • level: 3
    Looks like it's confirmed that the remaining episodes will be put online, http://www.tv.com/story/7714.html?tag=story_list;title;6

kendahlj

[64]Dec 20, 2006
    • level: 5
    KerNunnos wrote:
    Aside from my vehement loathing of the show's premise and execution since the first few minutes of the first episode (which I got flagged for trolling about, thank you), this show simply shouldn't have been put opposite 'Criminal Minds'. I said it then and I'll say it again: 'Minds' owns that slot.

As for the show itself, my loathing lulled somewhat after a few more episodes, but it was clear that following the storyline would require a sustained suspension of disbelief that the audience simply wouldn't be willing to give. It's generally a fatal mistake for a show to under-estimate its audience's self-perceived intelligence, irrespective of whether that intelligence exists or not. People just stop watching.

I agree with this post to an extent. Criminal Minds has a huge following and Day Break didn't stand a chance against it. In fact, Lost was getting beat by Criminal Minds. I think this show got better and better with each episode but the pilot was a little tough to follow. I don't think it should have been a two-hour pilot. And yes, you definitely have to suspend disbelief to accept the premise. That's what makes it a science fiction show and I think in general, sci fi doesn't do too well on network tv. I have to suspend disbelief when I watch Heroes or Battlestar Galactica as well. And even with good shows like 24 and Prison Break, there must be a disbelief suspension to truly enjoy the show. I really just think there was too much going against this show from the outset for it too succeed, which is a real shame because it was the first show I have truly enjoyed and looked forward to for a long time.

philly_phenom

[65]Dec 20, 2006
    • level: 8
    torque4015 wrote:

Day Break was a cool show I can't believe they canceled it right in the middle of the show. Doe's anyone know how I can E-Mail ABC and chew there A** out.

go to ABC.com at the bottom you'll find a "Contact ABC" link

Erga23

[66]Dec 20, 2006
    what about the rest of the episodes?! there isn't episode 2day?!

hamstrman

[67]Dec 20, 2006
    • level: 15
    Nope, no more episodes. I think what would have been this weeks ep will go up on abc.com at 2 AM tonight.

0roro

[68]Dec 20, 2006
    border304 wrote:
    I'm not going to watch anything that isn't in its second season now. Gutted.

I tried that, and it didn't work. i'm a huge Geena Davis fane, but stayed away from Commander in Chief because I thought they would cancel. The show turned out to be a highly rated Hit, until I started watching that is... then they canceled it after the ratings dropped because they switched the day it came on.

Serious

[69]Dec 20, 2006
    • level: 7
    ABC is a very stupid network. Don't they know that some TV series needs time to build an audience. 24 was ranked "76" its first season but Fox gave it a chance to grow cause they believed in it. Back in the 70's and 80's a show was usually given a full season. Now its make it or break it. By the The 2nd season of 24 it was 36! and last season it was 25!!   TV shows need time. Sure some are hits out of the box. but even a one point rating can equal over a 1,000,000 viewers. That's small in the TV world but its still a lot of people. And word of mouth can be very strong during the summer giving a show a boost in its 2nd season. This is why people are giving up on TV for the internet and Video Games. Cause you invest time in a show and then they snatch it away before it concludes. This show just needed a little love from ABC. and given a full season to find its audience.
    Edited on 12/20/2006 2:42pm

Serious

[70]Dec 20, 2006
    At least they are going to let us watch the remaining episodes on ABC.Com.

sylent_asassin

[71]Dec 21, 2006
    • level: 26
    This is really a sad announcement. I was into this show from the pilot. The least they could have done was finish out the season. America is so wrapped up in Reality TV that any other show that's compelling and makes you think doesn't survive. If they put a reality show in this time slot with a bunch of obnoxious morons wanting to screw each other, the show would be top rated material. People don't want to think.

pcf111

[72]Dec 21, 2006
    I live in Norway - any chance for us to get the remaining episodes somehow? I hope to see them in HDTV (like I've done so far), but I could live with lesser quality.

Any clues where I can catch the remaining episodes?

detroit245

[73]Dec 21, 2006
    man this is the biggest bs ever this was the sweetest show i ever seen and ABC could of at least let them finish the first damn season but hopefully we get the rest of the episodes on abc.com

PeachLee

[74]Dec 22, 2006

This is what happens when you have executives looking for the 'quick money' rather than taking time for a show to develop and get into the minds of the viewers.  We discuss the show every week at work; most all of us watch it, and those that didnt, started when they heard us discussing it.  The show was getting better !  The 'hostage' episode was awesome.  And since it was in limited series anyway, 13 episodes long, what could it have hurt to let it run.  They should expect lower viewing over the weeks -- it's the holiday season and people are traveling and vacationing ! Someone in the board room should have stood up and announced that.  Can they really make more money by broadcasting re-runs of a show we (my household) never watched anyway? Can ABC really expect us to be loyal when they continue to create hate and discontent by leaving their viewers 'high and dry?'

Maybe, just maybe, all the episodes will be released to SCIFI or Bravo's BRILLANT BUT CANCELLED.

kendahlj

[75]Dec 22, 2006
    PeachLee wrote:

This is what happens when you have executives looking for the 'quick money' rather than taking time for a show to develop and get into the minds of the viewers.  We discuss the show every week at work; most all of us watch it, and those that didnt, started when they heard us discussing it.  The show was getting better !  The 'hostage' episode was awesome.  And since it was in limited series anyway, 13 episodes long, what could it have hurt to let it run.  They should expect lower viewing over the weeks -- it's the holiday season and people are traveling and vacationing ! Someone in the board room should have stood up and announced that.  Can they really make more money by broadcasting re-runs of a show we (my household) never watched anyway? Can ABC really expect us to be loyal when they continue to create hate and discontent by leaving their viewers 'high and dry?'

This really sums up my sentiments. Particularly, how can repeats of stale comedies garner higher ratings? Just let it run its course. You probably won't LOSE money...but by pulling it you certainly have lost at least one viewer. I won't be sad if I don't watch another ABC show again. (Which is another gripe...how can Desp Housewives and Ugly Betty have more viewers than Day Break? Ratings are f'ed up...)

Dmluciano

[76]Dec 22, 2006
    • level: 12
    I liked this show and I think Abc was wrong to get rid of it. I notice that animation shows last longer than anything. I loved runaway too and that show got exactly three episodes. I am the third person to say this but **** the Cw and Abc

TJRatfink

[77]Dec 25, 2006
    • level: 1
    I'm not overly optimistic about the remaining episodes being shown online, as my brother-in-law had been working on the show and was laid off due to its cancellation. I don't think they finished filming said episodes.

pcf111

[78]Dec 27, 2006
    TJRatfink wrote:
    I'm not overly optimistic about the remaining
    episodes being shown online, as my brother-in-law had been working on
    the show and was laid off due to its cancellation. I don't think they
    finished filming said episodes.

Could you ask your brother-in-law what he knows about the un-aired episodes and how far they had gotten with filming? Thanks!

Anten7

[79]Dec 27, 2006
    so this is the second show that he had that was canceled, forst Kevin Hill after the first seasonand now Day break which wasn't even half way through. I would always miss Day Break since i work 3rd shift and i would sleep past 9pm.

stiner905

[80]Dec 27, 2006
    • level: 4
    Check this out:
    http://community.tvguide.com/thread.jspa?threadID=700015082#comments

Apparently "the holdup is due to 'unforeseen music clearance issues,' which are currently being looked into." Still, I need my fix.