Day Break Forums

ABC (ended 2006)

"What If It's Him" (spoilers) - episode 13(Finale) - 3/2/07

nigelhenry

[41]Mar 2, 2007
    • level: 2
    Like bertc just said, the writers said on the FAQ and in numerous interviews that they would never explain why the day was repeating. we'd just have to accept that it does, that he'd have to fix whatever "broke" (hence day break) and then 6 months later or so it might happen again. So Jared couldn't have been "doing it", although like justAjimmyFan said, how he's involed would be part of the next season...

But unlike what bertc said, it wasn't just cuz he cleared his name... he did that already in "What if he's free". I think it was like what arthurmsmith said: he just got enough info to know that it was not just about him, it was a massive conspiracy that involved the entire city's justice system.
    Like many of you (eg justAjimmyFan and ignignotTX), I would have liked to see how they found Margo, especially since we saw Hopper call her and get voicemail... and how the hell did they find Rodriguez (El lloron)?? But I guess we were to assume that they got it from someone else they caught, after all they made 87 arrests!!!!!!

But here are my questions:
    1. Why would Nick and his friends (Lloyd the bartender and Hippo) try to steer Hopper towards solving the Contreras murder IF NICK KILLED HIS FATHER FOR TRYING TO bring that case to prosecution?
    2. Why was Spivak subpoenaed? If it was that he could testify against Nick like ignignotTX said, then why wasn't Nick subpoenaed too... plus Spivak didn't seem to know anything about Booth or Garza!
    3. why didn't chad just help Rita by going through the regular system?
    4. Why (in the previous episode) did Detweiler say "Shelton... it's been a while" if they told him to fake the ballistics report just the day before?
    5. Why (in the previous episode) did Chad say "she already gave her official statement!" standing up to them (for which he is killed), but yet he just planted a fake report at their request!!!
    What do you guys think??
    Edited on 03/02/2007 11:18pm
    Edited 3 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

IvyMike2007

[42]Mar 2, 2007
    • level: 1
    I thought the showed had a great conclusion. Even the new song during the bad guy montage was cool. I saw the original version with the Johnny Cash song, and thought the new song choice worked better for the scene (even though they are very similar). I can't say this for sure, because it's just my interpretation of the story, but I really saw Jared as the reason behind the repeating day.  I hate saying god-like figure..... but he could have been an observer on the devine level who gave Hopper the means to figure out this complicated day, and to make it right.  He saved the judges who were going to be killed before they could stop the corruption that was taking over the city.  I think that would be the one ending that no one expected.  After all the possible scientific, medical, metaphysical, and conspiracy theories about why the day was repeating, couldn't it just be that a character with the power to orchestrate this did - for the good of everybody.  I'm just saying it was nice to be surprised.  Awesome show.

QuestionMarq

[43]Mar 2, 2007
    • level: 4
    If you remember from previous episodes:
    1. Damien was also being used by Nick, not because they were friends, but because he thought he could use him to turn over to Tobias, a scene depicted in the restroom stall at city court. And I think that he was going to do the same thing with Hopper. So basically he was going to turn him over as well.
    2. Spivak was subpoenaed because he was also partners with Nick, and supposedly framed as the real collaborator to the corruption case when instead the real collaborator was Nick.
    3. Because Chad knew that the same people who had corrupted the system were still there.
    4. Usually Deitweiller isn't the one who acts as the mediator to Chad. Remember, in the first few episodes he was at a bar with Fencik and Buckhalter. So maybe, they had also been there to act as message men to Chad.
    5. I think he didn't hear about Rita's problem until after giving the evidence to the people he had to rendezvous with. So really this would be considered another set of problems after the first set had been completed.

QuestionMarq

[44]Mar 2, 2007
    • level: 4
    The company at ABC shouldn't have ended this series on a bad note. With the delays and editing problems, this hardly constitutes a professional etiquette. No real company would be this apprehensive of their shows. They need to understand that with such new technology in the world, more people are recording their favorite shows rather than watching them live. And with the high demand for an instant release of shows, more people are bound to want an easier way of accessing these shows without the hassle of waiting for them.
    I do congratulate the guys who made this because at least they had the decent mind of feeling obligated to finish their series although there was still somewhat of a cliff-hanger ending. And I really hope I could see the cast in more televised dramas. They did a fantastic job! This show from the very beginning had more suspense than the second season of "Lost" -but not as great as the first. Had they placed it at a different time slot other than during the hiatus of Lost, this show would have far succeeded that of any reality show.

nigelhenry

[45]Mar 3, 2007
    wow! questionmarq, nice job. I don't know if we can really come to those explanations conclusively (eg Nick said "If you want to take a run at Booth that's fine by me...") but at least it leaves the window open for at least some feasible explanation for what I thought were "holes"
    Edited on 03/03/2007 12:09am

bertc

[46]Mar 3, 2007
    • level: 12

QuestionMarq wrote:
    The company at ABC shouldn't have ended this series on a bad note. With the delays and editing problems, this hardly constitutes a professional etiquette. No real company would be this apprehensive of their shows. They need to understand that with such new technology in the world, more people are recording their favorite shows rather than watching them live. And with the high demand for an instant release of shows, more people are bound to want an easier way of accessing these shows without the hassle of waiting for them.
    I do congratulate the guys who made this because at least they had the decent mind of feeling obligated to finish their series although there was still somewhat of a cliff-hanger ending. And I really hope I could see the cast in more televised dramas. They did a fantastic job! This show from the very beginning had more suspense than the second season of "Lost" -but not as great as the first. Had they placed it at a different time slot other than during the hiatus of Lost, this show would have far succeeded that of any reality show.

I dont know about succeeding any reality show, me personally i dont watch them and i dont know how anyone can they are such a waste of time, but unfortunatly there are a whole lot more people that see things differently then i. I thought this show was great from the 2 hour premier. I enjoyed the concept, and it quickly  became one of my favority shows even surpassing Lost (which i still watch but am getting a bit tired of it dragging on and on) When i read the FAQ on ABC's website and saw that it wouldnt keep dragging on and would have a conclusion at the end of the season i thought that was great. even if you throw in a cliffhanger like 24 has done the last couple season, but resolve what people have invested in for 13 - 24 episodes and get some closure. But most people today do like the 1 hour dont have to do anything thinking wrapped up in a nice little bow in 60 min shows and cant handle the concept over a season

DygitalNinja

[47]Mar 3, 2007
    • level: 11
    this would have been a great SEASON finale, but as a series finale it kinda blows

beacause the main question viewers had since the first commercial break of episode 1 was why the heck was BRETT'S DAY REPEATING!

and that was barely addressed in the last 10 seconds of the finale....that would have been fine if we got multiple seasons (really do we really know whats up with the island on 'Lost' no and we won't until the show wraps)

but since episode 13 was definatly the last they should have just explained that part...maybe when it hits DVD this will get explained or maybe a writer will spill the beans in a interview

shnootre

[48]Mar 3, 2007
    I think they did a brilliant job of explaining why the day was repeating. I mean, there is no scientific reason that would have carried any weight - it was clearly a supernatural event, and clearly something that was being done to Hopper. With Jared all cleaned up at the end, it became clear that he was an actor in the events - playing a role (otherwise how could you account for such a dramatic shift in him literally overnight). As he looked on at Hopper, who finally justified the arrival of tomorrow, he had a look on his face of satisfaction at a job well done. It completely and totally worked for me - even before I realized it was Jared I thought it was brilliant. But once I figured out who he was, I thought home run. This show was top quality from start to finish. It really paid off on its promises, and the "big deal" that was intimiated throughout much of the season really turned out to be a big deal (the planned assasination of a group of judges so that complete control of the city could stay in the hands of a small number of corrupt lawyers and politicians). Such a big deal, in fact, that to me it justified some divine intervention. Bravo!

tramlaw301

[49]Mar 3, 2007
    • level: 18
    DygitalNinja wrote:
    this would have been a great SEASON finale, but as a series finale it kinda blows beacause the main question viewers had since the first commercial break of episode 1 was why the heck was BRETT'S DAY REPEATING! and that was barely addressed in the last 10 seconds of the finale....that would have been fine if we got multiple seasons (really do we really know whats up with the island on 'Lost' no and we won't until the show wraps) but since episode 13 was definatly the last they should have just explained that part...maybe when it hits DVD this will get explained or maybe a writer will spill the beans in a interview
    I agree with you 100%. It felt like a Season finale and not a SERIES finale. There are no more shows..the show is over, so what is the point of having any more mystery? There is no point. As a Lost fan this scares me because the realization that you will never get the answers that you are looking for pisses me off. I'm also scared and skeptical because maybe the reason why they didn't tell us the answer is because they don't know the answers themselves. They just came up with a good idea but no explanation. That happens all the time. Lost fits into this category as well....good idea with no real explanations. I like the appearance of the "Crazy Guy" at the end but that is not an explanation.  Like DygitalNinja said...if this was a season finale then I would've been happy with it but for a series finale there are too many holes.

DygitalNinja

[50]Mar 3, 2007
    • level: 11
    shnootre wrote:
    I think they did a brilliant job of explaining why the day was repeating. I mean, there is no scientific reason that would have carried any weight - it was clearly a supernatural event, and clearly something that was being done to Hopper. With Jared all cleaned up at the end, it became clear that he was an actor in the events - playing a role (otherwise how could you account for such a dramatic shift in him literally overnight). As he looked on at Hopper, who finally justified the arrival of tomorrow, he had a look on his face of satisfaction at a job well done. It completely and totally worked for me - even before I realized it was Jared I thought it was brilliant. But once I figured out who he was, I thought home run. This show was top quality from start to finish. It really paid off on its promises, and the "big deal" that was intimiated throughout much of the season really turned out to be a big deal (the planned assasination of a group of judges so that complete control of the city could stay in the hands of a small number of corrupt lawyers and politicians). Such a big deal, in fact, that to me it justified some divine intervention. Bravo!

still should have explained the thing that was MAIN QUESTION OF THE SHOW!!!! IN THE SERIES FINALE

jenn3539

[51]Mar 3, 2007
    When I have the time, I'm gonna go back and watch all the episodes again. I'm hopeful that it will at least help clarify some things for me, if not bless me with some profound revelation.

djariya

[52]Mar 3, 2007
    • level: 19
    I think at the time they were still shooting this episode, they had to leave a small door open for a season 2. I believe the episode 13 was filmed sometime in December and ABC still had not cancelled the show yet and the creator said in an interview that if ABC wanted a season 2, it would have revolved around Brett again and that lawyer as hinted in episode 13. But, obviously since that's not happening I think tying up most of the loose ends in episode 13 was accomplished.

CarverHigh

[53]Mar 3, 2007
    Nick is the Key! Nick kept saying that "theese" people were soooo powerful- powerful enough to make him kill his best friend. In my mind-- if this was the case --they had to be more than a "political canadate", a "high profile attorney" and some cops on the take involed for him to be so scared and to have so many people willing to do things to conspire and cover up murders. Maybe that Jerod guy was not a good  or a bad guy? He might have been supernatural in some way and was working to attone for his past by manipulating Hoppers present. I agree with the other comments--we need to go back and look more closely at all of Jerod's statements to Hopper. Overall I think the day stopped repeating because Nick was killed --something Jerod, Hopper or Hopper's dad was not able to do before.

jenn3539

[54]Mar 3, 2007
    I'm just starting to watch them all again. Jarod first shows up about 9:45 into the first episode. He's at the police station on the first day when Hopper is talking to Andrea while being booked. He's struggling with police officers and he says, "I gotta get to my brother!", and then I think he sees Hopper and says, "Hopper?". It's hard to hear, so if anyone else wants to watch and let me know if they hear the same thing, I think it might be a good piece of the puzzle.

mgc1971

[55]Mar 3, 2007
    • level: 12
     Wow, perfect ending for one of the smartest and most entertaining shows I've ever seen on TV....no lose ends - Ok, except Adam Baldwyn escaping, but who cares- and everything  explained to the minimum detail
    Can't wait to buy the DVDs as soon as they are- hopefully- out
    Awesome show

Will_of_the_D

[56]Mar 3, 2007
    • level: 14
    I liked the ending, but did I saw Chad escape custody there? It looked like he ran out of the elevator and the cop was lying on the floor. What happened there?

yoss974

[57]Mar 3, 2007
    IvyMike2007 wrote:
    I thought the showed had a great conclusion. Even the new song during the bad guy montage was cool. I saw the original version with the Johnny Cash song, and thought the new song choice worked better for the scene (even though they are very similar).

What Johnny Cash song was it?

cl_ellison

[58]Mar 3, 2007
    • level: 9
    Awww it's over!  I loved it!  Pleeeeease release a DVD for Day Break!  

oliverkh

[59]Mar 3, 2007
    So much happened in those 13 episodes that its hard to remmeber every twist and turn we got!

I felt a but unsatisfied by the final episode as it didn't make this huge conspiracy seem very "huge"!

I did however like the way that it left some mystery at the end there and plenty of questions about characters hopper saved before!

Day Break is starting on Wednesday on Bravo here in the UK - I do remmeber seeing an advert with Hopper on top of something crouched down - I thought it was a train originally but I don't remmeber any trains in day break! so maybe it was a car? whatever it was I don't remmeber anything like I saw in the ad in the series so that is a mystery itself!

I would love another series of Day Break - but it won't happen!

Just thank youselves lucky you got an ending! I used to love "John Doe" I thought it was great entertainment - and that was also cancelled a few years ago - anyway in the season (and what turned out to be series) finale we discover that the guy that has killed one of John Does friends and who is harming people he cares about is in fact his best friend!

That was a real wow moment when it ended I am still annoyed about that!

I have to say "Day Break" is the best new tv show I have seen in a long time - very much in my eyes the next "24" that never got a chance. I also liked "Vanished" alot - also reduced to 13 episodes and shown online.

And the pilot for "Traveler" was brilliant - and that he been cut down to 8 episodes when ABC finally show it!

What is with all these great tv shows be canned! how stupid!

cavanagh15

[60]Mar 3, 2007
    • level: 35
    Will_of_the_D wrote:
    I liked the ending, but did I saw Chad escape custody there? It looked like he ran out of the elevator and the cop was lying on the floor. What happened there?

Yea he escaped. He would have been in S2