Day Break Forums

ABC (ended 2006)

"What If It's Him" (spoilers) - episode 13(Finale) - 3/2/07

kendahlj

[81]Mar 12, 2007
    • level: 5
    That scene was from an earlier episode. Not sure which one, but one of the first few. Incidentally, I used to have lucid dreams when I was younger. As I recall, they usually ended up with me finding a girls locker room.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

downthehatch

[82]Mar 12, 2007
    • level: 2
    I am rewatching these and wondering what exactly was Damian's Role and the Latin Disciples. I know there is a hearing the following day in which Damien was to testify as well as Garza. What exactly were they to testify on? And How did the girl's death get involved with the testamony?

Leppie

[83]Mar 13, 2007
    • level: 8
    PacMan2006 wrote:
    Was this a shot/scene from an older episode? Or am I missing something?

One of the earlier episodes when they chase Hopper to the subway and Hopper sneaks out only to have Spivak stand there saying "Great minds huh?"

ilb320

[84]Mar 14, 2007
    • level: 2
    What was the name of the song played during the montuage at the end. Someone said it was a Jonny Cash song. Does any one know what it's called.

kimchisucks

[85]Mar 15, 2007
    • level: 6
    The finale just proves that this show was a great show and should definitely not have been cancelled. What was with the guy standing there in the end...I really wish that was explained.

The story line arc was pretty damn good imo. I wonder if this was on another network and time slot if it would have done well...

NinjaWallace

[86]Mar 20, 2007
    • level: 3
    I think that if they release this on DVD, they'll have some commentary on why the day was repeating. Although I wouldn't be suprised if we could already find the answer.

spostof

[87]Apr 8, 2007

Hey guys, I just watched the last episode (yeah yeah, international people can't watch it on the net...)

Anyway, this is just a bloody great serie, I still can't understand why they canceled it.

One thing's for sure, if it's released on dvd, I'll be one of the first to buy it.

EJamison

[88]Apr 14, 2007
    • level: 17

I finally got around to watching the remaining episodes. I'm glad someone was able to recognize who the guy at the end was, although I guess we'll never know what they planned for the guy. I don't know if the producers are supposed to be able to expect us to recognize that this cleaned up guy was the same guy, but unless I know the actor well, I'll never make such connections (which is one reason I'm glad I can come here to learn such stuff).

I always have a hard time believing that the bad guys can put such elaborate plans together to try to cover themselves. There are so many places where things can go wrong. Does killing a certain person really solve a problem? Won't it more likely cause a bigger problem? It seems to me that it would have been easier to make Garza and Brett disappear than come up with this scheme. But then there wouldn't have been a series. I think killing all the judges would have caused more problems for the conspirators in the long run, although I can't say that for sure. I think there would be easier ways of killing the judges more quietly.

Did we ever learn what the the quarry was about? Seems not. It seemed to be such a focus in the earlier episodes and it didn't seem to mean anything in the end. Aside from being part of the conspiracy, do we really know who Detweiler is?

It seemed a little too convenient that Rita and Brett had independent connections to the conspiracy.

I don't quite understand why each day didn't start *exactly* the same way. From that point it would depend on what Brett did, but when Rita wakes up in a different mood it seems harder to believe then the repeating thing. To me, this is the biggest flaw in the show. It also seemed silly for Rita to never mention to Brett that she had a brother. She wouldn't have had to go into details.

I think the thing that got him out of the loop was that he had enough of the pieces together to tell a coherent story and confront Jelissa. She was the primary witness against Brett. There may have been some other pieces that were necessary. We only have to understand that what he did was sufficient, and on previous days it was insufficient. We don't need to know the precise pieces.

Although I would have liked an explanation of why the days repeat, I suspect that any explanation would seem flawed. It seems that it is just supposed to be supernatural, but the problem with that might be that a supernatural cause should be able to solve the problem more directly without have to make Brett go through all this. Brett could have gone into a Staples and used their Easy Button.

Although it wouldn't have been interesting to watch, I think if I were Brett, when I discovered I could get out of town and be OK, I would continue to do so, except after trying all the best restaurants and seeing the sites in one city I'd move on to another city, and another, and see the whole world. And there are plenty of movies I haven't seen yet. I wonder how many new experiences I could have even though it's the same day. I wonder, in the context of the show, if Brett didn't get tired of the vacation, would the supernatural power eventually break the cycle?

If there is a supernatural cause, I wonder how many other Bretts there could be around the world solving problems. I wonder how long it would take for them to fix all the problems in the world.

MelbourneMan

[89]May 25, 2007
    • level: 11
    I just finished watching all thirteen episodes of Day Break, and now I am going to watch them all over again, just to see what it is like to be Detective Brett Hopper.

Samy-Fisher

[90]Jun 18, 2007
    I'm amazed there wont be a second season. The show was beyond awesome. Certainly one of the best shows around and those loons cancelled it.. Instead we get more crap on TV..

aaronmcc

[91]Jun 22, 2007
    • level: 9

I just watched all 13 episodes of Day Break in 3 days and all I can say is....WOW! What a great show. I am so very sorry I missed it when it was on originally.

The finale itself was great in my opinion. I loved the little cameo by Jared at the end. Genius.

Overall the story was so very intricately woven I just can't help but have my mind boggle at how much effort must have went into it. This was truely one of the most brilliant pieces of tv of recent years.

As for the repeating day explanation. I have three thoughts. Firstly Brett had to uncover the conspiracy and save everyone, not just himself. Hence why the day repeated even though he cleared his name. Possibly, Jared also had something to do with what was going on behind the scenes. I think if 22 episodes had been shown then we would have seen the day repeat from Jared's perspective at least a few times. The day may have repeated until Jared had done all he needed to do aswell. Finally, I think we must conclude that the powers that be were responsible for trapping Brett in a loop. I mean if you think about it: as he progressed further towards solving the case they made it easier for him by letting Battle carry over her thought about taking Nick to rehab, Jennifer carrying over her thought to turn to her brother for help, and... they punished him when he gave up by having Rita carry over her doubts when he told her he was messing around while everyone else got hurt. Makes sense to me.

Anyhow, I loved this show and it is a real shame that it didn't make it to another season or even a full season for that matter. Maybe it could run on HBO? Sci Fi? SHO? They usually do about 13 episodes or so.

mrondine

[92]Aug 26, 2007
    • level: 7

I finally finished watching the entire series online (I'm afraid with the new fall season of shows, Day Break might be taken off the site, so anyone who's still thinking about it... get to it!) and boy, I'm glad I stuck with the show. The world they created, the intricate layers and details to the conspiracy, how it all ties together eventually... great stuff. As a closed series, I wish more shows would take this approach. If only ABC had bothered to air the entire series, instead of showing George Lopez repeats until Lost came back on the air.

I think one of the main problems was that the second episode (or the second half of the aired pilot) was pretty lousy, like a slow and boring 24 episode. By the third episode, though, I was hooked on the storytelling style. The "butterfly effect" on the repeating day and branching storylines was great, and the unique universe principle that with certain character revelations/resolutions they would change the following day. It's a shame this show didn't succeed.

CBourque2025

[93]Sep 11, 2007
    • level: 26

I also caught it before the new season began Most seem to have it right by this point here. But I would add that the series could easily have continued with Jarrod as the new lead for the next season with him experiencing the same days over as Brett. Brett might even have made an appearance in Jarrod's story or at least be seen in their first meeting from Jarrod's perspective. Perhaps Jarrod had an unknown hand in helping Brett, thus the smile at the end.

And then a third person could have been the star of the next series after that. So the repeating days only happen once but to more than one person. They obviously let a few wrapup details be guessed at like Margo being let go and the judge getting a call to change the meeting local, but those were easily surmised with the hints they gave. The big loose end was Chad escaping. But then things like that do happen in 'real life'. You can't fix EVERYTHING in 24 hours Overall, it was a fine finale for an intriguing series. (And it give me hope that Lost won't be 'lost' when it finally ends.)

Edited on 09/11/2007 3:43am

tnikem

[94]Sep 29, 2007
    • level: 1
    Is there gona be a season 2 ??? Or there is only 1st season and thats it ?

CBourque2025

[95]Nov 4, 2007
    • level: 26
    to answer your question tnikem...
    to quote elmer fudd,
    that's all, folks!

joeeby

[96]Dec 7, 2007
    • level: 1

Is there a synopisis of episode 13? I missed it on the ABC site and would like to know what happened.

Thanks

Joe

joe_eby@hotmail.com

Morlunnis

[97]Jan 31, 2008
    • level: 10
    EJamison wrote:

I don't quite understand why each day didn't start *exactly* the same way. From that point it would depend on what Brett did, but when Rita wakes up in a different mood it seems harder to believe then the repeating thing. To me, this is the biggest flaw in the show. It also seemed silly for Rita to never mention to Brett that she had a brother. She wouldn't have had to go into details.

I think the thing that got him out of the loop was that he had enough of the pieces together to tell a coherent story and confront Jelissa. She was the primary witness against Brett. There may have been some other pieces that were necessary. We only have to understand that what he did was sufficient, and on previous days it was insufficient. We don't need to know the precise pieces.

Actually, I think those two things I quoted you about are linked. He'd have to "get it right" with everyone that mattered. He first got it right with Andrea. Then he got it right with Jen. Then he got it wrong with Rita, but after that he made it right. What changed after that? Remember Damien saying how he "got a feeling" (paraphrasing) something was wrong, and decided not to kill Hopper (after which, Hopper wakes up "tomorrow")? That was pretty similar to what prompted Andrea, Jen and Rita to act differently - they felt they should. Somehow Damien felt he should trust Hopper, and apparently those were the 4 people Hopper needed to "get it right" with to end the day.

At least, that's my interpretation of the show. Everyone will have one, of course.

gunnar189

[98]Apr 28, 2008
    • level: 7
    The fact that Nick dies CANNOT be the explanation for why the day stopped repeating. Unless you were pretty tired, because you've seen all the 13 episodes in one night, you should've caought that Nick died "tomorrow", so the cycle was already interupted.
    The reason for why the day kept repeating will never be explained, and if you stop reading and start thinking for a minute, there is no logical explanation to it, ergo, there is no decent expanation to it.
    However, if you've ever seen the movie "Groundhog Day" with Bill Murray the reason why the day keeps repeating is not explained there either. The viewer just has to accept that the day is repeating, and that's final.

cherold01

[99]Dec 23, 2009
    • level: 13
    I just finished watching this, all these years after the fact (I actually watched all the non-broadcast episodes in a couple of days). I came here seeking answers, and found some interesting thoughts (plus a lot of comments by people who seemed to have missed episodes of the show). As I was watching the final show, I kept wondering how the show would have proceeded from here? It would make a certain amount of sense if it moved forward one day and then stuck on that day. In other words, Hopper has to solve enough of a day to set up solving the next day and then go through the same thing again. It would make more sense to me than for Hopper to start a brand new case and then see that repeat. He would start by needing to stop the judge massacre and then I'm sure they could have come up with more stuff for him to do and leave some questions for yet another day.

As for the lack of an explanation for the repeating, that was disappointing because the show really set you up to expect an explanation. When it was just Hopper going through the day, it worked on a Groundhog-Day level as something that just mysteriously happens. But the crazy guy who was also reliving the days was very intriguing and made you feel like there was some grander scheme causing this to happen. Also, the crazy guy at one point tells someone that Hopper is trying to find the guy who's making them repeat the day. It surprises me that, as someone reports, the producers said they wouldn't explain the repeating, because these things implied that there is an explanation.

Also, the crazy guy makes no sense within this one season. He shows up in a couple of episodes but he seems unnecessary and irrelevant. So I felt he would show up in the future with more interesting tidbits that would offer a fuller picture of this time glitch. Otherwise there was no point to him being in the show.

Outside of that, I thought it was a very good finale, although it did feel like they were trying to pack too much into the final hour. It's a shame that's it.