Day Break

What If They Run

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Nov 15, 2006 on ABC

• Brett fears his loved ones could get killed

This show is where the pilot picks off as Brett
    Fears that his girlfriend will get killed as a result
    Of a bunch of corrupt cops trying to frame him, in
    Particular Internal Affairs who want to prove he is guilty asap rather than hear his side of the story.
    So he tries to figure out what to do in order to not let his girlfriend get killed.
  • Good.

I liked this episode because it was very realistic. If I were in the same situation, hell if any of us were in the same situation, who wouldnt use the second day to try and run away from the problem? Who wouldnt try to stay up until 6:17 the next morning just to see if the entire problem went away? Thats what I liked best about this episode, I was able to connect to what Hopper did because I would have done the exact same thing. I would expect nothing less from the writers of Lost and Alias then to come up with this. Loved it.
  • Rita: "I don't know what's going on, but if we're going to get through whatever's happening here you're going to have to trust me." Brett: "It's not about trust. It's about keeping us alive."

This episode started off with a bang, literally, and never let up. It was like a rocket; flying by fast, furiously and hardly giving you a chance to breath. While in the pilot Brett's replay was just a rehash of the original day, this time Brett decided to take a completely different route. Which was a nice change of pace.

Andrea didn't appear this episode as the double-crossing sellout she was in the pilot. She proved to Brett that he can indeed trust her. Andrea helped him escape the police and she took a bullet for him. (I suppose Brett’s only struggle with her each day will be to warn her about IA before they get to her first.) Rita also proved to be invaluable this episode; quickly thinking of a lie to tell the Deputy; distracting the police officer so Brett could get inside his apartment. She also demonstrated that she's extremely faithful to Brett. She ran off with him twice without even receiving a sufficient reason as to why. She’s a good person to have around.

And are the Garza goons ballsy or what? Last episode they killed Damian and his whole crew, and now they face-off with a police force in a shootout. Do they have any limitations? They appear to have moles everywhere, including in the police department with Chad. Not that I'm very shocked about Chad; the writers clearly set him up in the pilot as someone for the audience to hate, and now the audience has valid reason to.

Final Notes and Quotes

- I liked Brett's natural frustration at the limited knowledge he has. "Maybe I need a MRI. Maybe I need a shrink. Maybe I stepped in a damn time machine! I don't know."

- Did Brett fall asleep at the wheel? If he had stayed awake till 6:18am would he have broken the cycle?

- Who was the woman on the answering machine telling Brett to check his mailbox for a package?

- Brett's bullet wound carried on to the next day. Painful. Also broke his alibi.

- I loved Brett accidentally revealing to Rita that their first date was a stakeout. Good relaxing moment between the two.

- How did Brett get out of the handcuffs in the hospital?

- Character Bits: *Brett’s father was a cop.
    *Andrea's IA investigation is based on her involvement with drug dealers.

- Rita: "This isn't about trust. It's about life and death."
    Interesting parallel to what Brett said to her.

- Brett: "For all I know, you planted that gun in my closest."
    Detective Choi: "Who said anything about a gun."
    If they don't have the gun, then why do they suspect Brett of killing Garza?

- Chad: "You think Hopper..."
    Andrea: "No. You?"
    Chad: "Anyone's capable of anything." Final Rating: 4 out of 4 stars.

- Tim Bronx
    Find this and many other reviews at: www.motionpicturereviews.com
  • There is always a reason for the things we do.. He did something to trigger an a response..

I personally most liked that Brett Hopper is starting to get deeper into his nightmare of living the same day while retaining the memory and physical pain of the previous day\'s experiences. Serie relay has an a future and i hope other peps will start watching it and getting into it as i did... We are getting into a question who is framing him and from now on we can only guess who is it but definitely his girlfriends ex husband is doing it or better said his ex partner... In 1 moment of first or second episode i don't remember he said god please help or something like that and i think that that was a key for this event... Somehow some stronger force forbids getting him guilty.. I have started also forum to talk about this serie so if somebody is interested please come and start chat ..

Cheers
  • Decisions and Consequences...yep and they change every day and that day just never ends.

I watched the pilot(1st hour) and thought I would give this a chance with the 2nd hour because I decided I needed to know what was gonna change the next day and I'm glad I did because it got better. How in the heck Brett Hopper hasn't dropped dead of hyperadrenalism I will never know coz that fella's fight or flight mechanism has gotta be in overdrive. The poor guy has seen his girlfriend killed, his sister and her kids threatened, his partner killed, he's been arrested, shot at and missed, shot at and hit, had a bullet pulled outta him with pliers with no anesthesia and he's still standing, more or less. It's one of those shows that just grabs ya and squeezes, I've seen negative feedback on the show but I don't listen to other people(rebel and trouble been called both) because usually we just disagree, and I am liking the rollercoaster ride of this show. Taye Diggs is actually believable in a not-so-believable plot and he's a good guy, he's not worried about getting away, he's worried about the ones he cares about so that makes me care about him. It's fast-paced and hopefully we will know soon why he is having to repeat this day over and over. I was pleased to see Adam Baldwin, he's a great actor whether it's drama, comedy(he plays a terrific straight man)or sci-fi. I think once you get past the do-over day theme, it gets really exciting and makes ya wanna see where this conspiracy goes, I know I'm gonna be watching and hope others will.
  • This eppy picks up where the Pilot leaves off.

It's good that they showed the pilot and this episode together. I thought I was going to bed at 10pm but I was hooked and had to watch. Brett Hopper is starting to get deeper into his nightmare of living the same day while retaining the memory and physical pain of the previous day's experiences. He is already getting frustrated with his situation. "maybe I need an MRI, maybe I need a shrink, maybe I stepped on a damn time machine, I don't know!!" He's trying to protect everyone but no matter what he does his day starts over again. All the memories of the day are gone except in his mind. It's enough to drive a person insane. There is a ton of action, car chases and gun battles but the show still has substance. Brett really cares about the people in his life and that comes through in every episode.