Monday 9:00 PM on The CW (Returning October 22, 2018)
And so we're back from the winter hiatus, or whatever it is now that Supergirl and Legends are playing musical chairs on the 8/7 central Monday slot. Until Legends ends and iZombie returns in the timeslot. With... more Supergirl in there somewhere? I'm so confused.

"Beebo" ended on a minor cliffhanger with John Constantine (Matt Ryan), the character that the Arrowverse producers won't let go of. And so "Daddy Darkhest" starts with Constantine arriving on Waverider and telling Sara that a demon mentioned her name. We get a little bit of flashback to Constantine struggling with the demon in a mental hospital. And then getting Sara's name and finding Waverider near Central City.

While I wouldn't say that Constantine is someone I'd want to see full-time with the Legends, since they're not really supernatural-fighting types, he fit right in with what we did get. Constantine flirts with Leo, makes a few smart remarks, drops a comment about recognizing Amaya's Anansi Totem (but not Zari's), and recruits the Legends to help him deal with the possessed girl, Emily. It turns out that she's Nora Darhk, the last-seen-two-years-ago daughter of Damien, and has been having mental issues ever since Arrow killed her father.

Now Mallus is using Nora to enter the real world. I guess. So Mallus is the demon, and the possessed Nora sends Sara, Constantine, and Leo back to 1969. In a side jaunt that seems a bit pointless except to separate the team. There's a Dr. Moore in 2017 and 1969, and she's threatening to lobotomize Leo once she gets his hands on him. After Sara and Constantine have sex, they rescue Leo and then Sara lets herself be possessed to power up the spell to take them back to 2017.

Meanwhile, Ray and Zari take Nora to Jitters to give her a normal day out. But when Nora sees a newscast with footage of Arrow killing Damien, she loses control and Mallus repossesses her. They tear up the Jitters set pretty well as Mallus throws a telekinetic hissy fit, but the two Legends manage to get through to Nora and drive out Mallus.

More meanwhiles: Nate and Amaya have had to deal with Kuasa, Amaya's granddaughter (see the Vixen animated series). Kuasa just... shows up at the mental hospital, and Nate freezes her with Leo's freeze gun. Amaya frees her to have a heart-to-heart with her granddaughter, and she (and we) find out that Kuasa signed up with Damien to get the power to save Zambasi and the future-Amaya. It's all a bit shoehorned in: both Kuasa's appearance at the mental hospital and the backstory from the animated CWSeed series. It still all feels a bit second-hand, since they keep talking about Mari, who is Vixen in the animated series and the one who appeared on Arrow. I understand they couldn't get the actress full-time for Legends, but presumably she'll at least show up for a guest appearance. Kuasa suddenly talking about her grandmother just seems a bit... removed.

Oh, and Mick watches football and drinks beer.

In the end, Sara, Constantine, and Leo get back to 2017. Damien comes to collect Nora, who wants her daddy and it turns out that Dr. Moore is a member of the Order. Kuasa escapes but spares Nate at Amaya's urging. Leo somehow learns that Ray from Earth-X is proposing to him and heads back to his home dimension to marry his lover. Constantine and Sara share an awkward goodbye, and Constantine apparently gives Sara a clean bill of non-possession. But tells Ray to hold onto the anti-magic nanite gun he's been working on because Sara will eventually give in to Mallus. And it looks like Ava the Time Agent has a crush on Sara, and she tells Sara that Rip has escaped Time Bureau custody.

Not surprisingly, Legends fit right back into its old groove despite the two-month or so hiatus. Ending on a minor cliffhanger probably helped: they jumped right in to giving Constantine a full appearance. He got a lot to do: we heard about the botched exorcism in Newcastle, he got to shag with Sara, make snarky comments, does some minor magic, and holds his own.

While "Daddy" advanced the season story arc, with Damien and Nora and Mallus and Kuasa, it did what it usually does best, which is give us lots of character moments. Constantine got a lot of them, although sadly there was no sign or even mention of Manny, Zed, and Chas.

Sara finally had something to do besides martial arts and be the team's... token lesbian? That's what she seems like sometime. There were hints that Mick might step up as the second-in-command when he (rather irritably) tells everyone what to do so they'll stop interrupting his football viewing.

Ray got to sing a song from Oklahoma. Wentworth Miller was... Wentworth Miller. I liked the part where Sara and Constantine are arguing about who seduced who, and he sits up to wag his finger and hope that they weren't seducing each other while he was threatened with a lobotomy.

Next week is a filler episode of sorts, as Waverider goes through a Groundhog Day time loop of sorts and Zari gets the Bill Murray role.

But that's all just my opinion, I could be wrong. What do you think?
5 Comments
Comments (6)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Feb 13, 2018
Someone remind me again, why can't Damien just prevent his own death by Oliver?

They change time constantly...

Anyhow... I thought that Leo was going to the one who proposes to Ray? Honestly I liked Leo in a way, it just felt off cause he wasn't really Leonard (and he wasn't supposed to be). And I don't know, I don't like it when an actor comes out in real life and suddenly his character becomes a lot more effeminate.
Though truth be told, I wouldn't mind if they decide to give Ray his own show.

I did like Sarah and Constantine going at it. The show constantly says that Sarah is bi yet she barely looked at any man since the show started - not even Oliver whom she dated or any of the other A&E models on this show but jumps at any woman she sees. If she's a lesbian that's fine, but you say she's bi...

But back to the main plot. so Mallus is a demon? Okay, didn't see that coming. Could be nice, but I don't get the talisman thing.
If he's afraid of them, why did he revive Kuasa? That's literally bringing into action the thing that can take you out.

So it's clear the end of the season would be Sarah going full Mallus while the talisman ladies try and excorsize her?
And the rest of the gang will just deal with Dhark and Nora?

Can't help but wonder what room there would be for the show when
spoiler
Kid flash shows up
More+
Flag
Feb 13, 2018
I don't think Mallus is a demon per se, just that's what they presented him as here because he acted all possession-y and was throwing stuff around TK wise. And hauled in Constantine as a demonologist. "Any sufficiently advanced technology" yada yada.

And Ray is getting his own show, kinda. Sure, it's CWSeed, but then again a) Vixen had Arrow, and Flash, and Atom, and Cisco, and Felicity, and Black Canary... and b) They've integrated a lot of the Vixen animated stuff into Legends.

Flag
Feb 14, 2018
I thought he only got the shortened Freedom Fighters run and that the rest would be about others?
Flag
Feb 14, 2018
I haven't heard anything beyond the Freedom Fighters run. Although some of it takes places on Earth-1 rather than Earth-X.

I need to sit down and finish watching it.
Flag
Feb 13, 2018
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Feb 13, 2018
It baffles me that this show keeps going, despite the stupid premise and the fact that 99% of the characters are complete morons. With the richness of the DC universe, even putting aside the A-listers they can't touch because of movies, they could stripmine more than 70 years worth of comics and stories that would be worth watching even though they can't use powers 80% of the time.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members