Tuesday 9:00 PM on The CW
So a few secret dribble out in this week's "Helen Hunt". We find out that Kuasa is Amaya's granddaughter. Which those of us who saw Vixen already knew. And we find out that Eleanor is somehow Damien's daughter. Which those of who read the spoiler articles out there or IMDB already knew.

We also get a (very loose) tie-in with the Wonder Woman movie.

Let's recap. Nate detects an Anachronism but not an outlier in Hollywood 1937. Apparently it took him seven days of not getting a shower to do that. Are they that hard to find? And didn't they chart them all out a few days ago?

So the team heads back there, and determines that Helen of Troy has fallen through a time crack or whatever people fall through when they're anachronisms. She's become a Hollywood starlet and two studios are fighting over her. Apparently she's so drop-dead gorgeous that men fly into fisticuffs over her. I guess Helen's charisma must have to be experienced firsthand to take effect. Yes, actress Bar Paly is attractive. But no more so than the female members of the Legends. Or half the female guests in the Arrowverse.

Meanwhile, Damien, Eleanor, and Kuasa are just hanging out in Hollywood for some reason that is never explained. They're the new Legion of Doom, I guess. Damien offers to let Sara take the team back to 2017 and disband, and in return he won't kill them. It seems kind of a weird deal in an awkward situation. We never do find out why Legion 2.0 is there, or why Damien considers the Legends such a threat.

The Legends turn down his offer, but meanwhile Martin-in-Jax (I'll explain in a minute) is helping Hedy Lamarr, who lost her job to Helen. Legion 2.0 finds out about it and goes after them, and again I'm not clear why. Apparently just to screw with the Legends, I guess, as they don’t seem interested in recruiting Hedy or Helen. The Legends come in, and White Canary and Damien fight to her victory, while Eleanor holds off Steel, Atom, and Heat Wave.

Meanwhile, Kuasa has snuck onto Waverider where Amaya and Zari are guarding Helen. After Kuasa knocks out Zari, she and Amaya fight and Kuasa reveals that she's using a Totem and that she's Amaya's granddaughter. And she's all up in Amaya's face about how she abandoned Zambesi. Helen, who is depressed because she's just a woman that men fight and die over, has gotten a knife and stabs Kuasa in the back, which causes her to flee.

Meanwhile, Martin and Jax merge into Firestorm but with Martin in control (still wait for that explanation, please). Firestorm manages to hold back both Damien and Eleanor, and they teleport out. And then presumably pick up Kuasa and teleport out again,

At the end, Zari--who has been having sympathy pains for Helen--offers to take her back to her own time. But she kinda cheats and drops Helen off on Themyscira, an island of female warriors, in the same time period. So Helen gets to hang out without any men around to fight for her (isn't it kinda sexist that women aren't attracted to her?), and it's not quite clear what her disappearance will have on the timeline. There's some handwaving about Zari changing the historical record, but it still seems like a temporal anomaly to me.

In the subplot department, Ray tries to transfer the Firestorm matrix to Jax. This ends up switching the minds of Jax and Martin. There's a fair amount of toilet humor, and Martin had a thing for real-life personality Hedy Lamarr. Who was an inventor as well as an actress. When she loses her job as an actress, Waverider goes kaput because some of Hedy's technology was involved in is creation. That, and Martin had a "hall pass" with his wife Clarisse if he ever got the chance to have sex with Hedy. They don't have sex, but Hedy does say that she likes older men as she kisses Martin and Jax at the end.

Hedy is also the one who comes up with the idea of them merging into Firestorm. Martin earlier pooh-poohed the idea because he thought it would set off a nuclear explosion. Hedy convinces him it won't, and their merge also restores their minds to their proper bodies. We do get to see Martin briefly in control of the Firestorm merged body, which is a good way to go out whenever they dump Victor Garber.

And they depart with Hedy having a pretty substantial knowledge of Firestorm and time travel. Which seems like it would also cause a temporal anomaly, but what the heck, it's Legends.

Also, Sara gets badly injured by Dahrk Family Deathtouch, which means she won't be around next week, I guess. Which means that the mission will probably go less smoothly than the usual less-than-smooth mission. Lord help us.

Overall, the episode was okay. We get Neal McDonough, who swaggers and smirks his way through the episode as usual and makes several snide remarks about Hollywood agents since he's posing as one. Eleanor really doesn't do much of anything. Kuasa at least has some justification for being a villain, and she mentions briefly that the Water Totem is now a part of her. Ray finally tells Amaya that he knows Kuasa and that she's Amaya's grandmother, tying it back into the Vixen series when Atom and several other heroes fought Kuasa and then teamed up with her. Since she can't kill Amaya and she admits that she can't kill Amaya, I'm still not entirely sure what the point is of having Kuasa on Legion 2.0,but oh well.

The Martin/Jax mind-switch wasn't too bad. There were bad parts--like the toilet jokes--and good parts like Jax-in-Martin admiring the Jax body after Martin-in-Jax put on a tux. And both actors do a good job with the mannerisms of the other. No mention of why Jax is running around Hollywood in 1937 grabbing white women, and no one objecting. I guess Hollywood would like to forget the 1930s when they hawked Stepin Fetchit to the American public as "the Laziest Man in the World".

Overall, it seemed like a "message" episode, emphasizing girl power. The presence of Eleanor and Damien was kinda weird, and we also get a scene where Amaya and Zari punch a guy who figures that their prostitutes. I suppose you could read some kind of modern day message on sex and power into it if you twist your kaleidoscope hard enough, but I'll give it a pass.

But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong. What do you think?
9 Comments
Comments (9)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Nov 18, 2017
I slightly disagree. I think Garber imitating Jax was good. But Jax doing Martin was atrocious.

Also, regarding Helen, leaving aside that she was never explained (was that a pheromone thing? Is she a meta? Mystical? Whatever), I could understand that they can have a world of fixed sexuality where straight women wouldn't be into her -

But what the heck about Sarah?!? She is going gaga over women all the time - even during missions (like season 2 opener) so I was expecting her of all people to be into Helen.

Also, Dhark's goal isn't clear at all and the fact that they are building another legion is getting old and tired. Even more so, why on earth would Dhark even agree to Sarah's duel again?

He clearly has the upper hand, he doesn't give a damn about "honor" what the heck was that for?

Even more so, it seems this show really doesn't learn anything at all. During the first season, I constantly said it was one of the dumbest writing decisions of all times to have a show that's based on fighting a villain (Savage) - That they already defeated.

Having them kill Savage in the initial Arrow\Flash crossover just goes to show how dumb the whole thing was. Why would I be scared of him if he lost and hasn't "upgraded" himself? Even more so, why don't they do exactly what they did last time?

Well, now we are exactly in the same situation. Dhark already lost. Oliver killed him. So just pop up the Waverider, ask Oliver how he did it and do it all over again. There is virtually no reason why Dhark should be an antagonist here at all.

Or you know, talk to Constantine? Or Zattana or whatever.
At least tell us something is different about him now.

Also, we clearly now see that Firestorm is more powerful than Dhark and Eleanor combined. That's not going to come back and bite the writers in the ass later. I'm sure.

And apparently his "flamethrower" power or whatever is set to stun again as Dhark and Elanor are just pushed aside - without even having cartoon like ashes.
More+
Flag
Nov 18, 2017
We saw Mick "stun" Len with his heat gun last year. So apparently flame does have a "stun" setting in the Arrowverse. ;)
Flag
Nov 18, 2017
Yeah, I used that expression since that's what you said in your recap of that episode ;)

See? We pay attention to your recaps
Flag
Nov 17, 2017
I'm glad they finaly didn't have another RayXAmaya star-crossed lovers w/e. It makes me hate them both.
Flag
Nov 18, 2017
You mean Nate and Amaya? I thought Ray was Hawkgirl
Flag
Nov 18, 2017
Didn't Ray have the hots for Amaya early last season, before the writers decided that Nate was more-suited/more plot-contrived/whatever for her.

I tend to get the white guys they pair off with minority women on the show confused.
Flag
Nov 18, 2017
Didn't Ray have the hots for Amaya early last season, before the writers decided that Nate was more-suited/more plot-contrived/whatever for her.

I tend to get the white guys they pair off with minority women on the show confused. Heaven forbid they link up Jax with Zari or Amaya. He just seems to stand around and make random "flirting" comments.
Flag
Nov 18, 2017
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Nov 17, 2017
There was one "significant' glance they shared during some vaguely relevant team talk.
Flag
Nov 15, 2017
Last week while at the park waiting for my nephew's football team to finish practice, I was watching a dog sniff around for a place to do its business. And I got to thinking, is there some strain of fungi or bacteria that dogs, as a species, have decided they just absolutely cannot stand and have proceeded to take the most passive-aggressive way possible to express their discontent? I have literally lost sleep pondering this most worthy of topics. You know what I haven't lost sleep doing? Anticipating the next episode of this show.

By no means was this a bad episode. I'm just not entirely sure there was anything proactively good in it, with the obvious exception of all-things Dahrk.

I usually have nothing nice to say about Jax or Stein, but you'll never hear me complain about a "Freaky Friday" or "Hangover" element in a story.

I've gotten into a debate or two with acquaintances who wonder how I, as a black person, can cite Gone With the Wind as my favorite movie of all time. And as I always tell them, "it's not a documentary" and there is no title card at the beginning which states “based on a true story” or “this is an accurate depiction of the Antebellum South”. So as bothered as I am by Jax(Stein) having free reign to fraternize with white women, I'm not going to be a hypocrite about it either.

So Kuasa is the poor man's Hades, complaining that her younger sibling took what was rightfully hers. Petty though it may seem or genuinely be, at least she has some kind of motivation, the Legends seem to be in it for the thrills and I have no idea what motivates Dahrk and his daughter.

What did Mick even do in this episode.

They found a great, if not the perfect actress, to play Helen of Troy. But they did Hedy Lamarr no justice, in all fairness, as I think on it, I can't imagine a single actress with that certain je ne sais quoi that Lamarr brought to the table.

The women's empowerment messaging seemed kind of heavy-handed, though it could just be that my reference points are off on this one. I don't know any women who could even remotely pass for timid or passive, it's possible this messaging has a market outside of my own personal social circle.
More+
Flag
Follow this Show
Members