Tuesday 9:00 PM on The CW
Beware, anyone suffering from diabetes who isn't up on their shots. This episode may prove too much for you.

If the episode title "Phone Home" wasn't enough, the creative team goes full E.T. The Extra Terrestrial on us tonight. As even the characters lampshade near the end when Nate and Sara both get all teary-eyed when the "Mom-inator" departs with her oh-so-cute infant child. Although apparently she wasn't able or just didn't bother to mount any kind of a protest when the Dominators decided to wipe out Earth, or at least its metahumans, in 2017. Either she wasn't impressed by the soft-hearted humans, no one listened to her, or they were a different group.

Or maybe her ship blew up a few seconds after she teleported up, leaving little pieces of her and Gumball across the Western Hemisphere. I can dream, can't I?

But on with the recap. First we get Young Ray running through a government lab. He grabs a key from our buddy Glasses (from the "Invasion!" crossover: this is the 80s version and the same actor), and gets shot.

On Waverider, Ray decides to do one of his typical bone-headed things, by conducting a team-building exercise with the other Legends for Zari's benefit. The whole truth/lie thing goes south pretty quickly, so Ray decides to do trust-falling with Mick. Who he offered to pay off, although apparently Mick didn't got his money in advance. Dumbass. Ray disappears briefly, and the Legends discover that he died in the 80s. They head back to that time period and Ray reappears. Because an episode without Ray is like an episode without... a ray of sunlight.

Thanks to last week's outro, we know that a Young Ray has already found and adopted a creature. This saves us some time, and the team soon discovers that Young Ray (YR) has a baby Dominator. YR is keeping it under his bed, feeding it candy that he shoplifts, and watches musicals with it. We never do find out what happened to Ray's father. He mentions his brother Sidney but oddly we never see him. It's the school year, so where is he?

Also, we get to see Mick react with approval when he sees YR shoplifting. Mick: always good for a laugh.

Anyhoo, Ray-as-Atom soon ends up in YR's backpack as an action figure, along with the baby Dominator, which YR has nicknamed Gumball. And yes, he's very cute. Pretty much the opposite of actor Mike Gaure, who voice-acts Gumball and looks like he's a linebacker.

They also never answer how Gumball ended up on Earth in the first place.

Zari, who we still don't get much of a feel for, is with Ray for some reason. She goes after YR and kinda/sorta bonds with him. However, they get captured by Glasses and his team of agents. They knock out Gumball's mind-control powers and get ready to kill YR.

Sara gets a report of a timeship in the area and goes to investigate. She tussles with the Queen, who captures her, reads her mind, and learns that Gumball was last seen at the Palmer house.

Nate and Amaya are doing backup as animal control officers. This ends up with Mrs. Palmer MILFing all over Nate. However, Amaya finds the real Mrs. Palmer cocooned in a tree, and busts in as the hypnotically looking-like-Mrs.-Palmer Dominator Queen is putting the moves on Nate. It's not clear why, other than for several jokes about a) Nate kissing Ray's mother, and b) Nate kissing a Dominator.

Ray, Zari, and YR break free and YR refuses to abandon Gumball. Fortunately, Gumball is just as easygoing as YR says (and Ray doesn't believe). The baby Dominator forces Glasses and his team via mind control to do the same musical number that he and YR were watching earlier in what's probably the funniest part of the episode.

They leave and Zari uses her amulet (which I guess is Air) to fly her and YR on their bicycles to where the Queen is. Creative team, Steven Spielberg phoned your homes and wants his logo back.

Everyone arrives at the same point, and YR reluctantly says goodbye to Gumball. Who crawls over to its mother and they teleport away.

Meanwhile, Jax figures that Martin is up to something, and ropes Mick into helping him. They eventually discover that Martin has been monitoring his daughter Lily's pregnancy via time radio and is preparing to go to 2017 for the birth of his grandson. Jax and Mick get all aww and go with him. Another funny part is Mick handing out cigars, including one for the baby. Since they take Waverider, it's not there so that Sara is unable to do... whatever she was going to do with it to stop the Queen.

They must come back eventually, because there's a cute bit where YR dresses up as Atom and the Legends put on their costumes to go trick-or-treating with YR and impress the neighborhood bullies. And Mick robs them of their candy and allowance. Heh. We also get to see Zari in a TV 70s Isis costume.

At the end, Zari has learned a valuable life lesson and knows why Ray is such a naïve do-gooder. Ray has realized that he didn't have the happy childhood that he thought, and would no doubt be traumatized for life if this was anything like reality. Instead he wants to watch musicals with Zari. And since Victor Garber is leaving the show, Jax asks Ray to come up with a way for him to be a one-man Firestorm.

There's a little bit of stakes here, since the episode starts with government agents shooting a young boy. Which for those of us with long memories, might bring up the bit about how Steven Spielberg edited out agents pointing guns at children for the re-release of E.T. Or not. But most of the episode is played for laughs. Gumball is oh so cute, Nate gets hit on by a cougar and then discovers that she's an alien.

We find out a little more about Zari and what a horrible life she had in 2042. But it doesn't feel... earned, as one reviewer put it. I'm still not feeling much for the character, and nothing here convinces me I should.

There was no mention of the Mallus story arc. So "Phone Home" was pretty much a placeholder. The creative team went for broad comedy and a lot of 80s jokes. Most of it is played for humor, so it's not particular Stranger Things-ish which is typically a bit more serious. And focuses more on the kids, while Legends focuses more on adults that act like kids. Ooh, that's deep.

And Jack Fisher as Young Ray is pretty talented. I don't remember him from Amercian Horror Story and Stitchers, but he deserves to be a main star on some show.

Overall, that makes "Phone Home" another episode that nobody is going to speak of in hushed whispers a year down the road. Yeah, we got the resolution of the Martin/grandson thing, although that wasn't really a thing. And a start of the whole "Jax solos it as Firestorm" storyarc. But nothing really happened.

But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong. What do you think?
10 Comments
Comments (10)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Nov 03, 2017
I like this show more than Arrow and The Flash these days. I think the reason for that is that I get attached to the characters more on this show than on the others. The show is crazy and the characters are silly, but in a good way.
Flag
Nov 02, 2017
They leave and Zari uses her amulet (which I guess is Air)

Told you :)

I thought the episode was okay. Yes, it was insanely sugary. But it was quite funny - on purpose - so it certainly delivered.

You didn't say your mom was hot
Why would I say that?!?

Although I do wish the writers would make just a bit more effort? I mean the whole Waverider is missing because Martin had to take it?Umm... Wouldn't they take it back *exactly* when they left it?

Why would they do it at a later date in case Sarah needs it?
It's part of the problem when you treat time like space - which it isn't.

And why would Nick and Amaya talk about a "would they \ won't they" thing? They did already, didn't they?
Also, for the record, can someone remind me, she broke up with Nick because she needed to go back into the past to give birth to Vixen's mother - right?

Is there any reason to assume Nick himself isn't the father?!?

More+
Flag
Nov 03, 2017
Although I do wish the writers would make just a bit more effort? I mean the whole Waverider is missing because Martin had to take it?Umm... Wouldn't they take it back *exactly* when they left it?

That is weird feeling, the show started in 2015,, but present time still continues on cause they return to their timeline its 2017 and not 2015.
Flag
Nov 02, 2017
Who's Nick? There's Nate...

Judging at least from this episode, there's some kind of temporal linkage (or just a rule they stick to) so that members of the same team have to stick to the same timeline. So Martin has to meet with Lily in the same order that she meets with him. So if a week passes for him, a week passes for Lily. They did the same thing on Doctor Who, at least on the TV series: you don't see the Master meeting the Doctor before the Doctor meets the Master for two consecutive episodes. Even though they both have time machines.

So if they have a few adventures and then take Waverider back to the moment they left... Martin, Jax, and Mick might give away something that happened in the other's futures or theirs. Which would muck up the timeline even worst. I'd also imagine the aging issue would get confusing and/or problematic. "Hey, wasn't Jax 24 a week ago? Why is he 26 now?"
Flag
Nov 03, 2017
Ah, sorry, Nate's the character. Nick is the actor.

Actually on Doctor Who they had no problem having characters meet at different intervals, even in different order. I mean wasn't that the whole point with Riversong? That she and he meet in reverse order? Each time he gets older but meets an earlier version of her?

And wasn't the previous finale all about the doctor meeting the Master again after he already met Missey which is the Master's next incarnation?
Flag
Nov 03, 2017
I'm thinking of original who, not nu-who. The "Master Season" of the 3rd Doctor, for instance, has the two of them meeting each other every serial, in the same order from both their POVs.
Flag
Nov 01, 2017
This episode is a perfect example of what Legends of Tomorrow is and why I love it. Sometimes it can be so f***ing stupid that it hurts - but at the same time, it's just awesome. The producers are clearly having fun and love to play with clichés. So many "Oh no, you didn't really do that!"-moments... but that's what she show is supposed to be! As strange and funny as the comics they are (losely) based on.
I'd prefer Legends to Arrow anytime and I really hope they will have more episodes like this one :D
Flag
Nov 02, 2017
One of the advantages of having 4 superhero shows on one channel and one creative team is that The CW can do different stuff with each show. So Supergirl is the more serious "issue" show, Arrow is the street-level-ish down-and-gritty, and Legends is the wacky comedy, while Flash is the more comic booky of the four. Although it's going more "wacky" this year.
Flag
Nov 02, 2017
I agree, except Arrow. The whole concept for this show is: "I'm not Batman, but I would like to be, but I'm not, so I make references to it and steal story arcs and villains from it, but I'm not, but I'd like to be." :P
Flag
Nov 02, 2017
Right. Which is basically Batman street-level-ish down-and-gritty stuff. :) Yeah, they have metas occasionally and toss in the Dominators and parallel dimensions. But it's mostly Batman-esque like non-powered or mildly-powered stuff.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members