Dead Like Me Forums

Showtime (ended 2004)

DLM on Sci-Fi channel

dmarex

[21]Jul 20, 2006
    • level: 103
    I usually can't get people to watch. They mostly reacted badly while watching the show, they thought it was pretty boring. I guess some people just ain't interested in SF, because as soon as they see that it's not a normal drama show, they freak out. But, if they would sit down, watch the entire episode, and realize how the show is really like, I bet they would get hooked immediately.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

IcyDelight

[22]Jul 20, 2006
    • level: 5

I find it difficult to even get someone to watch DLM in the first place.  If I try to describe the show, they generally look puzzled and eventlually reply something like, "Oh, I don't think I would like that."  The problem I have is that DLM is such a unique show it is hard to describe to someone who has never seen it.  Without a familiar show to compare it to, it is a hard sell.

vokilj

[23]Jul 24, 2006
    • level: 10
    That's why its best to sit your friends down and make them watch it without telling them what it is about. I began watching DLM without any previous knowledge and I began to love it.

vokilj

[24]Jul 24, 2006
    Does anyone know the ratings of Dead Like Me from Tuesday night? I heard that Eureka had just over 4 million viewers (a SciFi record for any of their programs) and Im sure that Dead Like Me got atleast 2-3 because they were the lead in, I wish they had advertised DLM more like Eureka.

silentchuck

[25]Jul 25, 2006
    • level: 3
    Somebody out there will appreciate this:

I had never heard of Dead Like Me until SciFi started airing promos for it.  In fact, last week when I saw the pilot I thought I was watching a brand new show.  Now I discover it was on Showtime and the whole series is on DVD (which I might need to rent/buy some day).

So, anyways, it worked.  Sci Fi airing the show really IS expanding the fan base.  And I'm proof of that. 

vokilj

[26]Jul 26, 2006
    I'm really glad to see that Dead Like Me is getting new fans. It feels a bit lonley when you are a fan of a Showtime program.

TheCorpulent1

[27]Jul 26, 2006
    • level: 7

silentchuck wrote:
    Somebody out there will appreciate this:

I had never heard of Dead Like Me until SciFi started airing promos for it. In fact, last week when I saw the pilot I thought I was watching a brand new show. Now I discover it was on Showtime and the whole series is on DVD (which I might need to rent/buy some day).

So, anyways, it worked. Sci Fi airing the show really IS expanding the fan base. And I'm proof of that.

Almost the same here. I'd heard of Dead Like Me but I don't get Showtime. I always thought it sounded like a fun show, and I figured there'd be DVDs, but I put it out of my mind and forgot about it until Sci Fi started airing commercials for it. I was hooked almost as soon as I heard George's deadpan voice describing the frog as "God's fall guy" for death.

eds_poofed_hair

[28]Jul 27, 2006
    • level: 7
    you have no idea how exciting the notion is that the series is gaining new fans, even if it is just through reruns.

bobgodfrey

[29]Aug 1, 2006
    • level: 4
    I like DLW but ECW? Wrestling on the Sci-Fi channel? Perhaps ECW should move to the Comedy Channel and leave Sci-Fi for Sci-FI!

bobgodfrey

[30]Aug 1, 2006
    • level: 4
    I like DLM but ECW? Wrestling on the Sci-Fi channel? Perhaps ECW should move to the Comedy Channel and leave Sci-Fi for Sci-FI!

Max42

[31]Aug 6, 2006
    • level: 9

this show is very funny

i had not seen it before but having these people be stuck in an after life where they have no choice but to reap and some how go unnoticed by the public with no assistance from what ever powers that be makes perfect sense to me

also i am suprised there  are only 2 season i do hope they will renew or atleast do something to enhance it considering all the promotion its getting

VanGriffin

[32]Aug 15, 2006
    • level: 8
    Add me to the new fans lists! I was actually suprised to see this ended 2 years ago, it seems to be a refreshing add to sci-fi.! Better than another bad movie

And much better than ECW. What executive thought to put that on after Eureka? Or to put it on at all?

playwriter

[33]Aug 17, 2006

I'm another new fan. had never heard of DLM b4, thot it was a brand new show, and couldn't figure out how Mandy Patinkin was filming this AND Criminal Minds. then, when i saw the 2003 copyright at the end, i was really confused. love the show. it's quirky. the only time i noticed the change in language was when the snooty blond reaper tells George she once gave Errol Flynn a foot rub in a car. Her lips were quite obviously NOT saying "foot rub."

anyway. kudos to Sci Fi for running the show!

Coconut1214

[34]Aug 21, 2006
    • level: 1
    I'm another new fan, I did want to watch when it was on Showtime but I didn't have Showtime. Then I kind of forgot about it.

So when I heard Sci-Fi was airing the reruns, I checked out it. I love it to the fact after the first few eps, I found waiting a week between them was too long. So I went out and bought both Seasons on DVD.

Now I'm upset that this great show was cancelled!! I guess that answers my question as to why I don't have Showtime. Because if they are going to cancel an amazingly well written show like Dead Like Me I really don't feel like paying for them. I finished the second season and I want too see more and find out what happens.

I got my entire family hooked on this show as well. When I tried explaining they didn't like it. But once they sat down to watch they were hooked.

Is there any chance of Sci_Fi doing a mini-series like they did for Farscape?

dmarex

[35]Aug 22, 2006

Currently, there aren't any TV station interested in either continuing the show, or making a mini-series or a movie.

Unimaginative12

[36]Aug 23, 2006
    I had actually never heard of DLM while it was airing and I hadn't had Showtime anyway. But now I have started watching it and I think that it's pretty good.

This time I had a double incentive to watch it; one it's on Sci Fi which I watch for Stargate and Battlestar anyway and two I saw on Wikipedia that the creator of Wonderfalls worked on this show for a bit before leaving and I really loved Wonderfalls. Granted, I still believe Wonderfalls is better but this seems like the next best thing besides watching the DVD over and over again

Anyone have any idea as to how it's doing in the ratings
    Edited on 08/23/2006 10:03am

IcyDelight

[37]Aug 26, 2006

Unimaginative12 wrote:
    [...]that the creator of Wonderfalls worked on this show for a bit before leaving and I really loved Wonderfalls. Granted, I still believe Wonderfalls is better but this seems like the next best thing besides watching the DVD over and over again

This must be one of those "what you saw first" things as I bought the Wonderfalls after I saw DLM.  I thought Wonderfalls was great, but Dead Lke Me was better.

:
    Anyone have any idea as to how it's doing in the ratings

I had seen ratings for only a couple of weeks, and both of those it was in SciFi's top ten--3rd place in one of them.

dmarex

[38]Aug 26, 2006
    Dead Like Me is like 10,000 times better than Wonderfalls. I guess I just never liked Wonderfalls.

KutieKity

[39]Aug 28, 2006
    • level: 6
    I agree that Dead Like Me is better than Wonderfalls. However, I also love Wonderfalls. It took me until about the 8th episode to really get hooked on it. 

stillplaygbc

[40]Aug 30, 2006
    • level: 16
    Ok, well personally im impressed with the cutting of the swearung of last nights episode. I mean I miss F**K That S**T Rube, I want a laptop, but instead Get with the 21st century rube. Also where can you get TV Ratings for channels and shows?