Dead Like Me Forums

Showtime (ended 2004)

"Life After Death" Official Discussion

dmarex

[1]May 31, 2007
    • level: 103
    Please post all of your thoughts and comments on the possible movie for DLM. There were too many topics opened for the same question, so please redirect your thoughts and comments here. Thanks.
    Edited on 02/14/2009 11:27am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

IcyDelight

[2]Jun 1, 2007
    • level: 5

Ok, not much info yet on the particulars of the movie, so does anyone care to speculate on what it will be about? The big question I have is will it tie up some loose ends and conclude the series (like Serenity did for Firefly) or will it leave the door open for further movies?

Also, since it looks like it will be shot in Montreal instead of Vancouver, what affect will that have on familiar scenes? Will Joy have sold the house, for example?

dmarex

[3]Jun 2, 2007
    • level: 103
    The only thing I care for, currently, is the fact that they greenlit the movie. It's such an amazing thing. Hope dies last. Of course, I'd love to see all the characters back. Maybe they could tie up loose ends and make it a great conclusion. And if they want to make more, I'd be happy with that too. Whatever way I look, I'm satisfied.

jitterfish

[4]Jun 6, 2007
    • level: 2
    It seems like such a long time coming, I had hoped (like I'm sure many DLM fans) that they would just make another season of the show.  I just wonder how well the movie could really do (ie for non DLM viewers) without the background story that the season has given us. 

IcyDelight

[5]Jun 7, 2007

Yeah, we all hoped that the series would be picked up before the stars all went their separate ways, but that just didn't happen.

If the movie were a theatrical release, they would have to do so much back story for newbies there wouldn't't be much new material for regular fans.  With it being a DVD movie that has a built-in audience, however, they can virtually pick up where they left off--or rather, three years later.   They may do a little retelling of Georges story, and perhaps catch us up with what happened since Halloween 2004, but the rest should be new material.

With only about two episodes of worth of story time, though, they will only be able to resolve two or three major story threads.

ChaseCameron

[6]Jun 15, 2007
    • level: 10
    Will it be on the big screen or direct-to-dvd or (god forbid) on Showtime. I don't have that channel. I'm praying for the big screen!

gentlespirit512

[7]Jun 15, 2007
    No such luck, my friend. It's straight to DVD. But at least it's not Showtime.

ChaseCameron

[8]Jun 16, 2007
    gentlespirit512 wrote:
    No such luck, my friend. It's straight to DVD. But at least it's not Showtime.

Thanks!

Ikkedin81

[9]Jun 17, 2007
    • level: 3

Ooooo! Me so happy!!

killcoyle

[10]Jun 19, 2007
    • level: 13

When is it coming out?

IcyDelight

[11]Jun 20, 2007

killcoyle wrote:

When is it coming out?

Speculation is that it would be marketed around Christmas time, but who knows? One souce said they were going to start shooting June 23 and finish up on July 22, but that has now been postponed a week or two because of some last-minute casting in LA. Along those lines there is also this post on yahoo: http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/dead_like_me/message/3324

Can't say if this is genuine or just rumor, but it is interesting to read.

Edited on 06/20/2007 1:14am
    Edited 4 total times.

ChaseCameron

[12]Jun 22, 2007
    So does that mean Rube won't be in the movie?

IcyDelight

[13]Jun 23, 2007

ChaseCameron wrote:
    So does that mean Rube won't be in the movie?

If that post is true, I suspect Rube be there but be replaced by the new guy. Here is another post I found on the Ellen Muth site. Interesting if it is true, but looks a bit suspicious to me:

Unknown wrote:
    "Hmmmm...so it look like they are recasting "Daisy" and if "Rube" is in it, it will most likely be a cameo".

DEAD LIKE ME (Role of Daisy)

Studio: MGM/Home Entertainment
    Based on the TV Series of the same name

Producers: Hudson Hickman, Craig Rossler, Sara Berrisford
    Director: Steven Herek
    Writer: John Masius
    Casting Director: Paul Weber
    Casting Assistant: Jennifer Lurey
    Start Date (for this role): July 3, 2007

[GEORGE] - Cast (ELLEN MUTH)
    [MASON] - Cast (CALLUM BLUE)
    [ROXY] - Cast (JASMINE GUY)
    [REGGIE] - Cast (BRITT MCKILLIP)
    J[OY] - Cast (CYNTHIA STEVENSON)

SEEKING:

[DAISY] In her late 20s to early 30s, Caucasian, preferably blonde, pretty and spoiled, she's an actress who died in the 1930s, supposedly on a set fire during the filming of "Gone With the Wind." Despite her somewhat immoral and solipsistic world-view, Daisy can be charming, extremely likeable and generous when the mood strikes her. To Mason's jealousy and annoyance, Daisy immediately falls for Calvin, the new Head Reaper, who helps Daisy secure an understudy role in the play "After the Fall." Of course, being an understudy will not do for Daisy, and she deliberately injures the lead actress so she can take over the part. However, the stress of performing every night proves too much for Daisy, and she begins drinking heavily -- even during performances. Her love affair with Calvin sours quickly after that, and Daisy realizes, along with Mason and Roxy, that slacking on her reaper duties has been her true downfall...LEAD (Cool NAMES PREFERRED

STORY LINE: When CALVIN KANE, a slick businessman who couldn't care less about helping the newly dead, takes over Rube's Head Reaper duties, all hell breaks loose, bringing out the worst in Daisy, Roxy, and Mason. George, however, is determined to set her latest, botched reap right, especially because the boy who was supposed to die, HUDSON HART, is her little sister Reggie's secret boyfriend. In the process, George and Reggie re-connect for real, for the first time...

vokilj

[14]Jun 26, 2007
    No they can't do that. Daisy is my favorite reaper. This is crap, why don't they just replace her character all together!

IcyDelight

[15]Jun 27, 2007
    I'd guess they wrote in a big part for her before they found they wouldn't be abe to get Laura Harris for whatever reason. Also, if they are losing Rube they probably didn't wat to drop any of the other characters. It will be an adjustment to get used to a new Daisy, though.
    Edited on 06/27/2007 6:17pm

IcyDelight

[16]Jun 27, 2007

This story has legs! Now from the June 27th National Ledger: http://www.nationalledger.com/artman/publish/article_272614375.shtml

BACK FROM THE DEAD: Viewer demand isn't the only thing responsible for resuscitating CBS's once-canceled, now-returning "Jericho." You've got to know the restless spirits of fans who never got over the demise of Showtime's "Dead Like Me" three years ago had everything to do with MGM planning a "Dead Like Me" direct-to-DVD movie -- which, it turns out, is due to begin production next week. Ellen Muth is back, along with Callum Blue, Jasmine Guy, Cynthia Stevenson and Britt McKillip -- but not Mandy Patinkin. In fact, the storyline for this movie launches when his character is replaced as the leader of the reapers (those who bring the souls of deceased folks to the other side) by a slick business type who doesn't care about helping the dead.

Edited on 06/27/2007 7:16pm

michael_LB92

[17]Jun 28, 2007
    • level: 24
    I don't want the actress to be replace. It is just stupid. It's such a crumby way. I'd prefer a stupid explanation like Daisy moved on, and there just happens to be a reaper JUST like her, or something like Daisy got into trouble with the law, so they had to change what she looked like as an alive person, which changed what she looked like as a Reaper.
    If you get what I mean

vokilj

[18]Jun 28, 2007
    Daisy has been a reaper longer than (Roxy, Mason, and George) so maybe she moved on and was finished with her duties, that would be great, but don't replace the actress. Also, I really hope Millie still works at Happy Time and we get to see Krystal, Misty, and Delores (here's a hoping!)

Mafeu

[19]Jun 28, 2007
    • level: 69
    I'm really glad most of the cast are returning, although I'd much prefer (if they can't get Laura) that they just drop Daisy all together. At least Rube will get a cameo, I just hope it's more than sixty seconds .

tansydog

[20]Jun 30, 2007
    • level: 4
    Ellen posted this on her myspace blog today:

:
    Saturday, June 30, 2007 Announcement; Not a Blog Just to let all you DLMers out there know that this past week, I have been informed that after this "Dead Like Me" movie comes out, it may, go back to series. After seeing the movie, you'll have to be the judge of whether or not you like the new concept. Give it a chance. I know we all hate change but it has been two years since season 2 so there has to be evolution.

2:25 PM

Everybody has to buy the DVD/watch the show now!