Dead Like Me

Ghost Story

Aired Unknown Aug 08, 2004 on Showtime

• Rube tells a spooky story by the fire

After a couple of good but rather bland episodes the show seems to have found it's stride again.

Overall, this episode is slicker, more tightly plotted and more inventively directed than the two previous ones. The increased quirkiness isn't needless, either. It helps spot-light the drama.

The Happy-Time staff are going on a retreat, George comes along against her will. She's being her usual sarcastic self about everything and everyone. And then there is a great scene where George talks about herself, who she is, an outsider. This is one of the most touching scenes in the series. You really feel for her, it's a fantastic moment.

Other highlights are a wonderful flashback in which George tells some carol singers to piss off, while Mason's panic as he tries to track down his post-it which he has lost is a lot of fun. There are more hints of a Daisy/Mason thing brewing as well when they search for Mason's post-it together.

The Lass family saga is initially worrying, it seems to be going back to the dull soap of season one, but this improves when Reggie starts freaking out potential house byers.

Best of all, though, Rube turns up at the retreat to treat the people to a good old scary fireside story. It's the kind of scene Mandy Patinkin was born to play, he's magnificent.

Best line of dialogue:
    Rube: I trust you will be fine without me. And by that I mean try not to f*** up. And by f*** up, of course I mean Mason.
    (Later Mason of course f*** up and looses his post-it)
  • George is a stray cat

Another good episode but not entire up to season 1 standards. The episode is mostly about George who is dealing with being the one who doesn’t participate with anything and simply just wants to be left alone. She was taught that way since she was little, never to participate on activities. Deloris wants her to go on a camping trip but George doesn’t want to until she realised she has to. AT first she mocks everyone but that’s until she begins to talk about herself and explain her actions. She sees herself as a stray cat, black one who is always mocking everyone and wouldn’t be able to be pet. That’s the most touching of the episode, so do I feel sometimes and it touched me. Also Mason was dealing with loosing a post-it and now he didn’t know who to reap, I don’t get why he pretended not to know who the person was. I loved his chemistry with Daisy and them having fun together, but she is the one that tells him to reap the person and so he does, a woman who dies.

Other people who die in this episode are two girls that were reaped by Daisy and George and a man reaped by George who gets shot. Rube comes to company them and tells the camp a ghost story which was all very pretty and emotional. The Joy/Reggie storylines were that Joy tries very hard to gain Reggies respect but she does it all wrong and instead they can’t get along. The episode was emotional and had plenty of good scenes, but the comedy felt a little forced at times and the episode felt as if it didn’t want to go anywhere, but at least the comedy wasn’t as stupid as in the past two episodes.