Dead Like Me

Ghost Story

Aired Unknown Aug 08, 2004 on Showtime

• Rube tells a spooky story by the fire

After a couple of good but rather bland episodes the show seems to have found it's stride again.

Overall, this episode is slicker, more tightly plotted and more inventively directed than the two previous ones. The increased quirkiness isn't needless, either. It helps spot-light the drama.

The Happy-Time staff are going on a retreat, George comes along against her will. She's being her usual sarcastic self about everything and everyone. And then there is a great scene where George talks about herself, who she is, an outsider. This is one of the most touching scenes in the series. You really feel for her, it's a fantastic moment.

Other highlights are a wonderful flashback in which George tells some carol singers to piss off, while Mason's panic as he tries to track down his post-it which he has lost is a lot of fun. There are more hints of a Daisy/Mason thing brewing as well when they search for Mason's post-it together.

The Lass family saga is initially worrying, it seems to be going back to the dull soap of season one, but this improves when Reggie starts freaking out potential house byers.

Best of all, though, Rube turns up at the retreat to treat the people to a good old scary fireside story. It's the kind of scene Mandy Patinkin was born to play, he's magnificent.

Best line of dialogue:
    Rube: I trust you will be fine without me. And by that I mean try not to f*** up. And by f*** up, of course I mean Mason.
    (Later Mason of course f*** up and looses his post-it)