Dead Like Me

Rites of Passage

Aired Unknown Sep 05, 2004 on Showtime

• A really funny episode.

This is one of my favorite episodes of Dead Like Me. Pretty much ever episode is great, but this one stands out. It is the first “celebrity reap” for George and it goes pretty well. Mason is very funny in this episode as well. His interactions with the death-obsessed people are classic and he had some hilarious one liners like “I was born to be a rock star, if I could sing”. Mason has to be one of the funniest characters ever on TV and Callum Blue did a brilliant job portraying him. Also, the Daisy character is developed well in this episode with her conversation with the priest. I think other than Rube, she is the most interesting character and there is a lot more to her than we see. I look forward to more developments for her. Overall, this is one of the best Dead Like Me episodes.
  • Rockstars

Another great episode dealing with death and the after life.

The episode is about George having to reap some famous rockstar and making Mason quite jealous.

what I didn't like about Mason's storyline is that the writers made those gothic people sound like complete morons, that's the weak part about the script.
    also why George's friend eventually killed the singer, he did nothing wrong to her, she should have shot the touchy girlfriend.

But neverthless, it was a very strong and developing episode. George gets to look hot as she has to tough task and she succeeds perfectly. I also agree with her on why someone's death is more important than others, we're all equal.

Daisy steals the show once again, she goes to church and reaps a priest, she gave him faith again in god and when he dies he goes to the after life but Daisy begins to doubt if there is really something better then and she finally takes off her cross and throws it in water.

Meanwhile Roxy has to shoot the shooter, she doesn't feel as satisfied as she thought because of it. I don't like the fact that the girl in the body never got to chance to talk to Mason and to say why she did it, same as the singer, btoh should have had more time to talk like they usually do.

Reggie and Joy's storyline was furfilling, Joy's crazy mom came to visit and she is almost as big as a freak as her daughter and grand daughter but at least she is able to deal with death as she takes Reggie to the place where George died.

This is more of an episode that shows you how to move on after losing a loved one and that life is not as horrible as it seems. Great episode, loved Deloris thinking George was a lesbian.
  • A good episode with several well written scenes.

George gets her first VIP reap and this leads to her getting a new outfit. Ellen Muth looks gorgeous in her rock chick get up. George seems a lot happier this week, and smiles more than ever before - she should really do that more often it suits her. In fact, there's a warmth and familiarity between the reapers here that's been largely missing this season.

A sharper and wittier script than we've come see lately also helps move this episode up a notch. The scenes with Daisy and the priest, (she tells him who she is and then reaps him), are a bizzare end to her flirtation with religion. While the Lass family saga benefits from the introduction of the wonderfully free-spirited grandma Phyllis.

Mason getting involved with some goth-rockers who practicly worships him when they belive him to be a Reaper, and then run for their life in terror when actually confronted with the reality of death is also great writing.

The only real problem is that the guy playing the rock star does not feel rock-and-roll at all. You cannot belive that Mason would get so excited by such a bland singer.
  • A look into the right of belief and the need to believe.

I think it was fasinating that a Priest so wanted to believe but had seriously forgotten how, and when shown the light ran to it with joy. Yet on the other side the dark beliefs of the rock fans who wanted to believe Mason was a reaper and yet when they saw it in reality, when they actually saw death they ran from it in fear. they wanted to worship death and were more terrified of it than the Priest, that says it all.