Dead Set

Episode 2

Aired Weekdays 10:00 PM Oct 28, 2008 on E4

• Not nearly as good as the first episode it preceded, but

Most people thought Act 1 for episode 1 started off too slow. I didn't think so. Well it's true here. The episode started off pretty slow with not much development, the only major thing really happening is Riq meeting up with another survivor who is more controlling than he would like her to be. Things pick up tremendously though in Set 2 with Angel going into shock and the entire party arguing what they should do with her. It showed the chemistry between the cast of the Big Brother show and how much of an alien Kelly is to their group. Patrick and Pippa's little time together, in a sort of sick way, also provided some comic relief with Patrick showing his rude mannerisms by pissing in a bucket in front of her and burping loudly. Though the real highlight of the episode is Riq and his encounter with the bossy survivor he has hooked up with. Although we've just met her, she's already been developed to a great extent and her lecturing Riq about "surviving" really provided insight of this new zombie filled world.
  • Finding out who's left after episode one.

A much faster paced episode, but much shorter too, so it felt a little abrupt at the end. The action moves along nicely as we find out who has survived from the previous episode. There's a surprise or two. The horror FX are very good again. I've seen some postings which complain that the zombies just go aargh a bit and shuffle around. I fear they've missed the point somewhere. As anyone who's ever played any of the incarnations of Resident Evil will tell them - it's the combination of a few things which makes them scary. They're undead so if you chop a limb off they'll keep coming, they don't sleep, and are surprisingly strong for rotting flesh! What adds to the horror factor is the universal state - it's not zombies stalking a house full of people, it's a world (or at least a part of London) being dominated by zombies that gives this scenario it's horror factor. Where do you go when there may be nowhere to run to?
    However, it's the camera work and editing which helps make a good horror and this is true of Dead Set too.