Dead Set

Episode 2

Aired Weekdays 10:00 PM Oct 28, 2008 on E4

• Finding out who's left after episode one.

A much faster paced episode, but much shorter too, so it felt a little abrupt at the end. The action moves along nicely as we find out who has survived from the previous episode. There's a surprise or two. The horror FX are very good again. I've seen some postings which complain that the zombies just go aargh a bit and shuffle around. I fear they've missed the point somewhere. As anyone who's ever played any of the incarnations of Resident Evil will tell them - it's the combination of a few things which makes them scary. They're undead so if you chop a limb off they'll keep coming, they don't sleep, and are surprisingly strong for rotting flesh! What adds to the horror factor is the universal state - it's not zombies stalking a house full of people, it's a world (or at least a part of London) being dominated by zombies that gives this scenario it's horror factor. Where do you go when there may be nowhere to run to?
    However, it's the camera work and editing which helps make a good horror and this is true of Dead Set too.