Deadliest Catch Forums

Tuesday 9:00 PM on Discovery ChannelIn Season

Don't know what it is

boomer150

[1]Jul 4, 2010
    • level: 2

Its been driving me crazy, been watching some of this show in the last week or so and on alot of the boats, the window that thecaptainlooks out rightin frontof him there is this large ring with something in the middle of it, and i cant figure out what it is or what it does. anyone know?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

schossel

[2]Jul 7, 2010
    • level: 1

I would say it´s a kind of ventilation to prevent the windshield in front of the Captain from getting foggy by their own breathing.

nostradamnedus

[3]Jul 13, 2010
    • level: 4

If I had to 'guess'. I would say that it is a defroster or deicer, like the lines on the back window of a car, but 'diesel' because of the cold temperatures that these guys have to put up with.

ArchAngle

[4]Jul 13, 2010
    • level: 10
    The round device acts something like a windscreen wiper on an automobile. Instead of using rubber wipers, it uses centrifugal force to remove water droplets.

The center part is the motor. The round transparent 18" diameter disc is attached to the shaft of the center motor and spins when the motor turns. The spinning action removes the water from the disc and so navigators are able to get a clear view of the outside by looking through the spinning disc. Of course the edges of the spinning disc are constructed in such a way that water will not be able to enter the bridge.

Marine equipment are constructed very robust. The particles of salt in the air from the waves when solidified will easily scratch the window if a rubber wiper is installed. The spinning disc hardly needs any maintenance at all.

Archangle

jw2468

[5]Jul 31, 2010
    • level: 7
    I've always wondered what that thing is as well. The funny thing is that I was touring a crab boat once and forgot to ask them what the heck it did, but I imagine it's a deicer or defogger like everyone is saying.

Wizherd

[6]Apr 13, 2011
    • level: 3

Though a little late in chiming-in on this one, the item of which you speak used to be called a Kent Clear-View Screen, which has subsequently been truncated to simply Clear-View Screen as many manufacturer's now sell them. A brief blurb can be found on Wiki at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clear_view_screen

Solid_Snake2003

[7]Aug 18, 2011

If the Cornelia Marie could make it for another season or two,maybe one day I'd like to see the Harris boys as Co-Captains of this ship,it's their birthright.

Solid_Snake2003

[8]Sep 10, 2011

Well aside from getting the crew to the crab grounds,it is the responsibilty of the captain to keep a watchfull eye on his crew,as well as keep track of how much crab they catch,and scout out other places to catch crab.

pwarburton

[9]Oct 15, 2011
    • level: 2

It's a type windscreen wiper, the centre disk spins fast and throws the water off the glass.

herlinius

[10]Oct 16, 2011

The answer is "All of the above" (almost).

It's to keep a clear sight, fog, ice, water. In the old days it was handmanouvered.

Cheers, Herlinius