Deadliest Catch Forums

Tuesday 9:00 PM on Discovery ChannelIn Season

Offical topic for episode "No Mercy"

Minarvia

[1]May 5, 2008
    • level: 39

Here is the offical topic for the Deadliest Catch episode "No Mercy":

"The seas are rough and they'll only get rougher.The Time Bandit has a dangerous electrical short. On the Cornelia Marie, Phil's health deteriorates. The Early Dawn boats driving with a sleeping greenhorn at the wheel."

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

starwolf99

[2]May 7, 2008
    • level: 12
    The episode met all of my expectations since I saw the trailers last week.

Time Bandit: That was a bit of a scare with Jonathan and his crew blind as the boat gets slammed by waves. One of the reasons why I like the stories of this vessel is that it has the right combination of family drama, hijinks, dangers of Bering Sea navigation, and perils of crab hunting.

Wizard: Ah, Brotherly Love! Not! In this episode, I finally understood the hierarchy onboard this boat. Unlike the Hillstrands (with Jonathan doing King Crab and Andy doing Opilio), the Hansons (Sig on the wheelhouse, Edgar on deck, Norman in Engineering), or the Harrises (Papa Phil with Jake and Josh on deck), Monte and Keith try to captain during the same season which will cause some friction. There has been a lot of complaining and attitude in this boat during the current King Crab season.

Cornelia Marie: I like the return of the Friday superstition. Phil needed all of the luck he can get. It seems to have worked given the disaster that was the last trip. I thought he quit smoking? The health issues, while scary, are not surprising given his diet of Red Bull and cigarettes.

Northwestern: Wow! Sig having to lay the smackdown on both Matt and Jake. I was reminded that prior to Jake doing the team, Matt was the most junior member of Sig's team. Matt had a reason to feel threatened given his past. He didn't have to fight Jake on deck, especially given how unstable the seas are. The fight went from intense to funny to sad in 5 seconds. Who would you side with: Matt or Jake?

Early Dawn: I need to see my DVD copy of King Crab, Season 1. There was a montage of men dozing off from fatigue which included footage of a man sleeping at the wheelhouse on his father's boat. I wonder if it's the same person. One of the reasons why boats like the Fierce Allegiance and Farwest Leader didn't appeal to me is because they are not independently owned. The captains answer to a higher power outside the Bering Sea. This is no exception. I can understand the fatigue, but sleeping during a rogue wave is unacceptable. The footage was no Aleutian Ballard (Season 2), but it was enough to give the crew a wake-up call.

Finally saw the trailer for the new Deadliest Catch game. The only complaint right now is that it's not for the Playstation.

duter4

[3]May 7, 2008
    • level: 7
    The more I see of Matt, the more I think his arse needs to be fired! Heck, with his whining about his court date last season, I wouldn't have invited him back to begin with. No wonder Sig is so cranky all the time lately!

prariegurl

[4]May 7, 2008
    • level: 2

It sickened me when Matt punched the fish. I hate animal abuse!

I wish Phil would take better care of himself. The Red Bull and cigs do him no favors, he just doesn't look healthy at all.

Loved it when the raven stole the eggs from deck of the Time Bandit. There were dozens of eggs on the deck. Johnathan explained that they keep them there to throw at other boats. Gotta love those guys!

Minarvia

[5]May 7, 2008
    starwolf99 wrote:
    The episode met all of my expectations since I saw the trailers last week.

Time Bandit: That was a bit of a scare with Jonathan and his crew blind as the boat gets slammed by waves. One of the reasons why I like the stories of this vessel is that it has the right combination of family drama, hijinks, dangers of Bering Sea navigation, and perils of crab hunting.

I also agree with the Time Bandit running without any lights that is a bit scarry. But, I think that is amazing that whatever hit them, ripped out that 30 pound ballast which torned out all of the wires, which caused the blackout. They were lucky that it was a smiple fix and had nothing to do with their electric system.

starwolf99 wrote:

Wizard: Ah, Brotherly Love! Not! In this episode, I finally understood the hierarchy onboard this boat. Unlike the Hillstrands (with Jonathan doing King Crab and Andy doing Opilio), the Hansons (Sig on the wheelhouse, Edgar on deck, Norman in Engineering), or the Harrises (Papa Phil with Jake and Josh on deck), Monte and Keith try to captain during the same season which will cause some friction. There has been a lot of complaining and attitude in this boat during the current King Crab season.

That what you get when you have two people that are skippers and know how to haddle the boat. We might see something in the vain with Eric Nyhammer and Sten Skaar, but I don't think so, because Eric dosen't know the North America, like Sten dose.
    starwolf99 wrote:

Cornelia Marie: I like the return of the Friday superstition. Phil needed all of the luck he can get. It seems to have worked given the disaster that was the last trip. I thought he quit smoking? The health issues, while scary, are not surprising given his diet of Red Bull and cigarettes.

I have to say finally, the Cornelia Marie is catching crabs, but again this might be editing. Okay, with the health issues, Phil had a serious health problem durring the Snow crab season he had a blood clot travel to his lungs and it took him five days to get to hosptal because of the weather. Yes, he is still on blood thinners to get rid of the clot. So don't be to worry about him, he is doing fine.
    starwolf99 wrote:

Northwestern: Wow! Sig having to lay the smackdown on both Matt and Jake. I was reminded that prior to Jake doing the team, Matt was the most junior member of Sig's team. Matt had a reason to feel threatened given his past. He didn't have to fight Jake on deck, especially given how unstable the seas are. The fight went from intense to funny to sad in 5 seconds. Who would you side with: Matt or Jake?

I was expecting a litte more of a reation from Sig, like running out of the wheelhouse to see what was the hell was going on the deck. I mean compare to his reaction toward Matt and the cheese sandwich, his reaction toward the fight was sock that something like this happen, like a father finding out that his sons told him that they don't want anything to do with them. So, I am thinking the Discovery got the timeline screw up, I am thinking the fight happen first and then the cheese sandwich, it would explain the different reactions that Sig did, if the fight did happen first, Matt would have already been on Sig's $hit list and so him doing another thing that is aganist deck rules would drove Sig like he did. But, I do agree with Sig, you don't fight a fishing boat you do at the dock, why because the platform on a fishing boat is wet, slippy and in montion.
    starwolf99 wrote:

Early Dawn: I need to see my DVD copy of King Crab, Season 1. There was a montage of men dozing off from fatigue which included footage of a man sleeping at the wheelhouse on his father's boat. I wonder if it's the same person. One of the reasons why boats like the Fierce Allegiance and Farwest Leader didn't appeal to me is because they are not independently owned. The captains answer to a higher power outside the Bering Sea. This is no exception. I can understand the fatigue, but sleeping during a rogue wave is unacceptable. The footage was no Aleutian Ballard (Season 2), but it was enough to give the crew a wake-up call.

Starwolf, the guy that owns the Early Dawn also owns the Fierce Allegiance as well, have you ever seen "World Most Dangerous Job"? the 1999 special that was about the Fierce Allegiance, Brain's father was running the Fierce Allegiance at that time. Not, to get down on the skipper at that time, but he should of know not to put the greenhorn on wheel watch at that time, with weather and the sea state at that time, it take an expernice person to haddle the boat in a time like that. So I do blame the skipper for that mistake. Look at what the guys did on the Time Bandit did with Scott, they had him at wheel watch, but the weather was pretty clam and it was at day.
    starwolf99 wrote:

Finally saw the trailer for the new Deadliest Catch game. The only complaint right now is that it's not for the Playstation.

It is on PC as well, but I not going to buy it. Also look who will be showing up next week, the North America, finally.

starwolf99

[6]May 8, 2008

About time we see the North American in the next episode.

As for the Fierce Allegiance, do you know if the boat survived IFQ?

sparkie_ac

[7]May 8, 2008
    • level: 18

starwolf99 wrote:
    The episode met all of my expectations since I saw the trailers last week. Time Bandit: That was a bit of a scare with Jonathan and his crew blind as the boat gets slammed by waves. One of the reasons why I like the stories of this vessel is that it has the right combination of family drama, hijinks, dangers of Bering Sea navigation, and perils of crab hunting. Wizard: Ah, Brotherly Love! Not! In this episode, I finally understood the hierarchy onboard this boat. Unlike the Hillstrands (with Jonathan doing King Crab and Andy doing Opilio), the Hansons (Sig on the wheelhouse, Edgar on deck, Norman in Engineering), or the Harrises (Papa Phil with Jake and Josh on deck), Monte and Keith try to captain during the same season which will cause some friction. There has been a lot of complaining and attitude in this boat during the current King Crab season. Cornelia Marie: I like the return of the Friday superstition. Phil needed all of the luck he can get. It seems to have worked given the disaster that was the last trip. I thought he quit smoking? The health issues, while scary, are not surprising given his diet of Red Bull and cigarettes. Northwestern: Wow! Sig having to lay the smackdown on both Matt and Jake. I was reminded that prior to Jake doing the team, Matt was the most junior member of Sig's team. Matt had a reason to feel threatened given his past. He didn't have to fight Jake on deck, especially given how unstable the seas are. The fight went from intense to funny to sad in 5 seconds. Who would you side with: Matt or Jake? Early Dawn: I need to see my DVD copy of King Crab, Season 1. There was a montage of men dozing off from fatigue which included footage of a man sleeping at the wheelhouse on his father's boat. I wonder if it's the same person. One of the reasons why boats like the Fierce Allegiance and Farwest Leader didn't appeal to me is because they are not independently owned. The captains answer to a higher power outside the Bering Sea. This is no exception. I can understand the fatigue, but sleeping during a rogue wave is unacceptable. The footage was no Aleutian Ballard (Season 2), but it was enough to give the crew a wake-up call. Finally saw the trailer for the new Deadliest Catch game. The only complaint right now is that it's not for the Playstation.

I thought the crow on the Time Bandit was funny! Of course when the lights got knocked out it turned pretty scary for a while. I think one of favorite parts of this episodes is yah the "Friday" superstition!! Superstitions about the sea always rock and even in my job we have superstitions and I firmly beleive in them. The best part was that Phil didn't leave and in the end he found the crab so maybe that is what he needed to get rid of the bad luck. Last episode he even said he had to rid the bad luck and start fresh again. Maybe Phil can relax a little more now.

As for Matt and Jake....what the heck? I mean really Matt is lame for being jealous and threatened. Just because Jake was learning something there is no reason to ask like a jerk he should be helping Jake learn not acting like a spoiled little kid and crying about it. And to pick a fight and attempt to go after Jake's neck????? Even Edger asked him why he thought that was normal. I agree that I thought Sig would have come down harder about it, but I am glad in Sig's single side comments to the cameras that he was on Jake's side.

As for what happen on the Wizard, I didn't care much for it either way and don't have much to say either. And as for the Early Dawn and the greenhorn falling a sleep, sorry but I think it was the capt.'s fault. Duh I am come on he is a greenhorn just getting done with rough shift and you put in him there in BAD weather for his first time....it was like setting him up for failure if you ask me. the Capt. should have known better and not threaten to fire him. I understand everyman needs to take his turn but in bad seas you don't put your weak man on the spot.

I can't wait for next week.......

ThreeEdgedSword

[8]May 12, 2008
    • level: 3
    As far as the "fight" goes, I'm sure that Sig knew that the other guys could handle it . . . after all boys will be boys. But the eating thing . . there's a time and place for that and who knows if part of the sandwich fell into the tank, it could be harmful to the crab!

PIPHS

[9]May 12, 2008
    • level: 3
    as far as the Early Dawn goes - this is not Bryan's first time out on the Early Dawn - he was on there last year, so he is not a newbie and he should be able to handle the fishing vessel. Every greenhorn does his time at wheelwatch and the seas didn't look too calme when they were fishing brown crab and Bryan was on the boat then. Also since he was in his bunk sleeping when the rest of the guys were on the deck - he had more sleep then the rest of the guys, he needs to man up and do the job he is being paid to do...

LinaLoN

[10]May 16, 2008
    • level: 6

Lots of ups and downs for Jonathan on the Time Bandit... everytime something good happens, something bad happens to suck the joy out of it. I think the boat is still a little miffed at him for the whole ice thing last winter or the way he almost went onboard drunk... whatever the reason it's like the Time Bandit keeps throwing stuff at him like an ex or something. However, I love the fact that even with this stuff he's still catching a lot of crab and earlier this year than the past seasons. I hope the bad luck bug can be sqaushed soon. Maybe all the boat needs is some repairs and attention... then it will be back to normal for them.

As for the Northwestern... I have had personal dislikes for Matt for since Season 3... I think he's losing it mentally. He's losing his grasp on reality. I know he was struggling with alcohol abuse... possibly drugs too and I think that's catching up with him on crabbing now. He wasn't mad at Jake for anything really. I don't think he was threatened by Jake too much. He was mostly mad at Edger for giving Jake so much attention... Matt got jealous and possibly scared that his "best friend" was shifting focus onto Jake more than him. Not cool at all. Yes, Jake can be annoying at times always whining about things but he tries very hard to be like one of the guys and he shouldn't be beaten up for that. Matt made the first move against Jake, Jake was defending himself and got so spooked he got carried away... it's like a dog attacking a master who has been abusing him. Jake realized it was wrong and stupid of himself to fight on a rocking boat with another crew member and felt REALLY bad about it but the entire situation barely fazed Matt at all. THAT is scary.... having somebody not care they had lunged for someone's throat on a rocking boat where people could get hurt at any moment... that is the sign of someone hitting a dangerous mental level. My hoping is that Matt will have a season off to get psychological help before things escalate to the point where he really does end up hurting someone or getting them killed.

I think Phil is starting to lose it mentally too. But his is different. I think he's kind of at the point where Rick was with the Maverick at the end of season 1 going into season 2... so emotionally exhausted it's not fun crabbing anymore because it's too draining on his nerves. Not only that but Phil is also physically and mentally exhausted. I wouldn't be surprised if he lets his sons captain the boat for opies to get a break he needs to recoup his crabbing spirit.

I'm bored with the Wizard. Yeah, the captain and the co-captain are fighting... and yea Moe needs to leave but still I'm bored with them.

I thought I recongised the name of Eric N. when I heard it... he was from the Rollo... still doesn't make much of a difference for the captain of the red boat there. Starting to fish so late in the season is risky to begin with but this year the crab aren't where they have been in past seasons so now this boat is REALLY in trouble. Good luck... they're going to need it.

Oh Early Dawn- I can understand the captain being angry at Bryan for being so careless to risk the crew's lives by falling asleep at the wheel. However, the captain was the one who put him there even though he should've been able to tell how tired he was AND it's not like Bryan was goofing off or did it on purpose. Nothing that warrents being fired for. Someone like Bryan shouldn't be left with such big responsibilities like that especially being a Greenhorn.

Edited on 05/16/2008 1:51am
    Edited 2 total times.

starwolf99

[11]May 16, 2008

The thing about Moi on the Wizard: Still better than Guy.

Whatever happened to Nick? He left the Wizard due to injury in Season 3, Opilio and was replaced by Guy. Probably graduated college?

LinaLoN

[12]May 17, 2008
    • level: 6

:
    The thing about Moi on the Wizard: Still better than Guy.

That's true! I mean they got the guy from the bar... what did they expect? I was laughing when he quit while on the boat, then decided to work, then quit again... at least that was entertaining. But... yeah... poor Crosby gets stuck with the worse Greenhorns (other than Nick). I'm guessing either Nick's arm break was more severe than what he thought (like requiring surgery or therapy) or it's possible he found a new career somewhere else.

starwolf99

[13]May 23, 2008
    Another theory is that, since the North American reclaimed its quota, the maximum revenue on the Wizard dropped. Hence, Keith couldn't afford to keep Nick and had to settle for two greenhorns.

sfaberge

[14]Jun 3, 2008
    • level: 21

I'm siding with Matt on this one. Jake is just so rude, he threw the door at Matt and clearly has no respect for him when Matt has been out here for longer than him. Matt is still a more senior deck hand than he is and there is no way you should treat a superior like that. Like the commentator said (in the UK version anyway), Jake is sucking up and I really hate people that do that. Jake has to learn a bit of respect for Matt and then there would be no problems.

Maybe the English version is different but the editing here seemed like Sig was on Matt's side and Edgar was on Jake's side. There was no clip with a comment from Sig saying he was on Jake's side. The commentary also mentioned that since Jake is always trying to "learn" and repeat each thing thousands of times, Matt has to do a lot more work and that could be why he's so wound up. He has to cover what Jake should be doing while he is at the hydraulics or something. The clip they did show from Sig showed him saying he knows the reason why Matt did it here in the UK.

There were lots of clips where Jake was being obnoxious and rude towards Matt. There are always huge editing differences between the UK and US version.

Edited on 06/03/2008 2:43pm

Minarvia

[15]Jun 3, 2008

Yes, that was different than our version, in the US version, Sig and Edgar were upset at both of them. The only clips that showed Jake being obnoxious was toward the entire crew saying that "you can break these guys show easy. Did you guys have the dinner clips where Sig said "You take another swing, you gone on the spot. Family or no family. You want to be apart of this family act like it!"

I wish that they would air those clips here in the US are release a special edtion of Deadliest Catch, which include the oversea version. Yes, Mike Rowe as made comment that Jake was in Matt's eyes sucking up, but how is Jake to learn these things, if he wants to be full share, if he dosen't do it while at sea, when? Yes, it dose suck when a new person comes around to learn something new it dose slow you up a bit, but a person got to learn.

Edited on 06/03/2008 8:44pm

sfaberge

[16]Jun 4, 2008
    • level: 21
    I really don't understand why they change the versions so much. I know the UK has less adverts so they need to add more clips but then we don't get some clips you do! Yes we did get the clip where Sig said, "You take a swing...".

There were a lot of clips in this version that showed Jake being rude to Matt. The editors just don't show the whole story sometimes.

I don't blame Jake entirely, it was also Matt's fault definitely but I don't think it is ALL Matt's fault. I understand the learning but if I had been working for 40 hours+ I would be annoyed if I had to take up someone else's tasks. Especially if even Edgar said "no" to him repeating things so many times. He was also learning a skill (coiling) that isn't necessary any more so I guess he could have chosen a better time.

I can see why you all blame Matt for this if you didn't see some of the clips we did.