Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Apr 03, 2005 on HBO

• I suppose it was only a matter of time...

If we're going to do a show on the Wild West - and especially a show of the nature of Deadwood, it would only be a matter of time until a lynching happens. I might argue though that the impending rumours of claims being refuted might only serve to diminish the naked racism of the camp.

Then again, the fact that lynching the "General" was simply supposed to serve as a diversionary tactic exposes just how little they think of Deadwood's black citizens.

Now I can’t say that I’ve been able to follow too well exactly what it is that Tolliver has planned for Deadwood, but I do understand the schemes as they’re playing out before me – and I have to believe, there’s no way they would’ve been able to get this stuff off the ground if Swearengen was in full contol of his faculties. That’s the work of a great Executive Producer at the helm.What’s better is that we can watch Swearenger come up from behind to crank the gears and get a handle on things again.

As I watch some of this unfold I think the time is right to open up a discussion topic about who’s more ruthless - Tolliver or Swearengen? Kind of a tricky question – after all, Swearergen has killed a preacher with his bare hands, even if it was a mercy killing…