Deadwood Forums

HBO (ended 2006)

About Odell

cris_007

[1]Aug 9, 2006
    • level: 14
    Could someone please tell me what good reason would Hearst have to kill Odell? I mean something doesn't add up, though I probably missed an important line or 2 .
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

cardcounter31

[2]Aug 10, 2006
    • level: 5
    i know how you feel. some times the dialogue is more cryptic than Shakespeare.

cris_007

[3]Aug 10, 2006
    • level: 14
    Sometimes it even is Shakespeare ("Leviathan Smile" - ending ) )... Anyway,  what I understood is that Hearst initially believed that Odell, was trying to con him. However, after their talk later on Hearst agrees to help him and sends him back to Liberia with paper work and so on. Their small argument seems hardly a reason for the murder though... As for the reason why Hearst didn't commit the crime in Deadwood, it might be due to the presence of "aunt" Lou, whom he is so fond of. Thus, order the murder on his trip. But still, why? What could have constituted such an insult, or why whould Odell be considered a threat in any way?

topoopon

[4]Aug 21, 2006
    • level: 19
    I took it as: Hearst wanted the Liberia gold all for himself. Hearst doesn't share his "color".

kaoken10

[5]Aug 9, 2007
    • level: 11
    But I dont understand how Hearst will come into possession of Odell's gold claim in Liberia if Odell never made it back there. The claim falls to Odell's church now, right? I also dont understand why Lou asked Hearst to send someone after him to give Odell the broach. The scene was obviously important, but I think I missed something. Why did she want him to have the broach so badly? Just sentiment? Or was it a warning? And Hearst's reaction. He was very mad. And he hinted that he was going to kill Odell to her. If Lou wanted someone to go after Odell so that the person Hearst sent wouldnt kill him, why would she want one of Hearst's guys to go. Why not Samuel? Or Jane? Hearst murdering Odell makes no sense to me at all.