Deadwood Forums

HBO (ended 2006)

CONTINUITY in deadwood!? question for my own mental peace!!! ^^

bifnaked79

[1]Jan 8, 2008
    • level: 1

^hello to you all, fans of the deadwood hbo late show............

in a very few days i ve bought and watched the 3 seasons of the show.... i kinda already knew that every episodes are meant to represent a full day in the camp... but i was wondering about the continuity between the episodes.... in season1, when bullock leave the camp to look for jack mccall and gets to fight an indian and be found by charlie utter etc etc... next episodes al says to EB that it's been 10 days since trixie told him that alma is taking his drugs while she is not...

anyway my question is:::: from the beginning of season1 to the end of season3, am i to believe that only a month have occured in Deadwood and in the life of our anti-heroes?

thanks for any answers or help!!!!

julie

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

JonStryker

[2]Jan 8, 2008
    • level: 12

Every season is representing at least some months! As a matter of fact, the series starts somewhere in 1876 and ends 1877.

Did you think that scandinavian girl learned english in a week and a makeshift camp becomes a town within days?

Edited on 01/08/2008 3:31pm

bifnaked79

[3]Jan 8, 2008
    okaaaaaay sorry to have bothered you with my stupidity...

JonStryker

[4]Jan 11, 2008
    Sorry if my answer was a bit too rude! My intention was not to make you feel stupid ...

lennydonkey

[5]Jan 15, 2008
    While each episode pretty much covers a day I think there are supposed to be several days of time passing between episodes. And between seasons I think several months pass. Especially between season 2-3. I Figure the whole show covers 8-16 months of real time. Of course that is entirely guesswork on my part.

lennydonkey

[6]Jan 15, 2008

I guess I'm smarter then I thought. Obviously the show is a dramatization, so some events are altered and out of order, but it does closely parallel the actual history. Wild Bill arrived in Deadwood in July and was shot on August 2, 1876. And in November 1877 the realSeth Bullock lost the election for Sheriff.

If you use those eventsfor the framework of the show it's 16 months.

gambs44

[7]Dec 22, 2011

Also, the characters had infrequently referred to getting something done "before the snows" and from that I would have to guess since there isn't a scene with a snowcovered Deadwood, that the time between seasons covers the winters when there wouldn't be much in the way of travel, prospecting, etc. which I'd think would have an impact on the commerce back then considering the brutal winters they must have had to put up with back then. Without the benefit of reliable heating sources and inability to remove snow from roads and trails it must have been a helluva thing to get anything done. Also, imagine how short the days were, further cutting into time to be productive without lights to work with. Just some thoughts....

AJ