Deadwood Forums

HBO (ended 2006)

Dedwood gets 4th season... kinda

crayotic

[1]Jun 4, 2006
    • level: 4
    Click Here For Full Story

Variety wrote:
    After a month of what seemed like public negotiating, HBO and "Deadwood" creator-exec producer David Milch have kissed and made up, as it were, agreeing to produce a pair of two-hour specials that will serve as the show's series finale.

Variety wrote:
    A shorter order was problematic for Milch because each episode in the first three seasons of "Deadwood" represented a single day, and he could not see how to wrap up the stories in just six days. By instead producing a pair of special event presentations, Milch will be able to write the finale using a different format and space of time.

Not as good as a full season.. and not entirely sure how two 2 hour specials works out better than six 50 minute episodes, or even three less than two hour specials, but I guess Milch knows better than me.

At least we'll be getting some closure, unlike Carnivale rawr
    Edited on 06/04/2006 9:59pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

rjbhiemstra

[2]Jun 5, 2006
    • level: 3

Well, i'm glad we're getting a good ending.

mgc1971

[3]Jun 5, 2006
    • level: 12

tI've been dreaming about that- two hour movie or 4 hour miniseries - for Carnivale
    At leas we will get a real ending for Deadwood, that's great news

Edited on 06/05/2006 2:22am

crayotic

[4]Jun 5, 2006
    i believe they actually did offer the same sort of deal to the Carnivale creators.. but they refused it coz it just wouldn't be enough time.. there was mention from them of continuing it on in a comic at some stage maybe

caliarrass

[5]Jun 7, 2006
    • level: 5
    This is great news, regardless of what anyone else is saying. The show is expensive and only draws a third of the Sopranos audience. Plus DVD sales are not benefiting HBO. Yet the fans through their hardwork got the job done against the odds. Deadwood is a phenomenal show, and now it gets to burn to the ground in peace.

soggydroors

[6]Jun 7, 2006
    • level: 5

i think this is a bunch of poop. i wanted at least 6 seasons.

if they pull the same poop with rome i'll be mad. very mad.

wtim1879

[7]Jun 8, 2006
    • level: 3
    I heard Rome only has 1 season left......From a not so reliable source, so if anybody knows any different that would make my day.

amfarley84

[8]Jun 9, 2006
    • level: 28
    i wish that it was two more season instead of two 2 hours specials

sipman990

[9]Jun 12, 2006
    • level: 6
    Right at this point...i'll take what i can get an be greatful for it...don't like it, understand it, and happy to know there will be an ending for it...Peace

cris_007

[10]Jun 22, 2006
    • level: 14

Well considering that Deadwood was planned right from the start for a max of 4 seasons (as the real deadwood burned after 4 years, being rebuilt later) I think the 2 hour movies might just be better. True, it is shorter but they are movie format! Like Milch said it gives him and the rest of the crew the opportunity to change the one day chronology, which will only help boost the already spectacular atmosphere and drama. I can hardly wait to see how they wrap it up and if it will end with the great fire that will mark the end of this lawless era, where strong characters like Al Swearengem, George Hurst,  Seth Bullock, Bill Hickock and so many more thrived to make their living and perhaps help build america. And I also wonder, if they do include the fire, if the overall message will be similar to that of Gangs of New York, which I think has so much in common with Deadwood (including the fact that it is commonly overlooked in favour of other, more trivial movies).

One thing is certain, season 3 started off real strong and i'm sure the tension will only continue to rise, setting the perfect tone for the 2-part finale. 

LouievilleXXIII

[11]Jul 2, 2006
    I really hope that they AT LEAST do the two two-hour movies...I recently read an article (unfortunately I can't remember where at the moment) that there's a chance the two movies intended to wrap up the series might not get made now, and the the series might just end with the third season. I REALLY hope this doesn't happen...

St00j

[12]Jul 11, 2006

As good news as it is I still can't help feeling gutted that what I consider to be the best adult drama series ever is getting prematurely cut short.

It's not just that either, it's just never been as appreciated as much as I think it should be. It's the best thing McShane's ever done and Timothy Olyphant's played Seth Bullock like he was born for no other purpose.

It's just not right plain and simple!

magicmo

[13]Jul 12, 2006
    • level: 7
    I'll take whatever I can get. Just wish they would make more is all.

bluemoonstuff

[14]Jul 14, 2006
    • level: 1

And the saying goes, "too much of a good thing is bad". Whom ever said this obviously had no idea what a good thing is.

Too much Deadwood bad? F*#@in c@c#s@ckers, I'll take the bad.

Don't forget to grease up!

-----------------------
    Deadwood, Firefly & Dead Like Me t-shirts, notepads & more.
    www.bluemoonstuff.com

Edited on 07/14/2006 5:34am

bigger_kel

[15]Jul 26, 2006
    I'm thinking that the "specials" should be set just before Deadwood is set a blaze. Obviously it should show the town going up in flames. That's how it should end.

bigger_kel

[16]Aug 5, 2006
    I hope they release air dates for the two 2 hour specials.

zblom

[17]Aug 13, 2006
    • level: 9
    The problem with support for the show is that in the beginning it was very difficult to follow with the authentic dialogue.  I know a ton of people who were excited about the series, tried to watch it, and then gave up before Season 1 ended.  Of course I have never missed an episod, but I do think it is a lot easier to follow now than it was at first. 

FooFighter64

[18]Aug 18, 2006

There is no doubt in my mind that this series will go down as a cult classic!   I have never seen this much interest in a show.  I live in Australia and people here love watching season one!  It just kills me to only have 3.2 years of Deadwood as the characters in this series are so complex and compelling.  Plus having Deadwood partys with mates and drinking everytime a C@cKSuckers is uttered made it quite fun.  There has never been dialog for a series like the dialog for Deadwood!  Why do people watch all that reality crap on TV and a brilliant show like Deadwood gets cut short!?  Its a real shame.  I can never see Ian McShane in any other role!

bigger_kel

[19]Aug 19, 2006

FooFighter64 wrote:
    There is no doubt in my mind that this series will go down as a cult classic! I have never seen this much interest in a show. I live in Australia and people here love watching season one! It just kills me to only have 3.2 years of Deadwood as the characters in this series are so complex and compelling. Plus having Deadwood partys with mates and drinking everytime a C@cKSuckers is uttered made it quite fun. There has never been dialog for a series like the dialog for Deadwood! Why do people watch all that reality crap on TV and a brilliant show like Deadwood gets cut short!? Its a real shame. I can never see Ian McShane in any other role!

I also live in Australia and think Deadwood is a great show, even it does get away from me a bit. I despise those reality TV shows like Big Brother and Survivor, they're good once and that's it they lose all substance. I've watched them and found them to very boring, who want's to see a bunch of losers sit around doing nothing just for a lousy cash prize. If truth were stranger than fiction then I'd pick fiction because at least it has the tradition of making sense.

I don't watch those reality TV shows because I believe that if you watch them then you're saying that your life is not interesting (or should I say not better than those shows) and that you find someone elses life more interesting. Hence why I say away from them.

If you're gonna watch TV watch some proper programming like Deadwood, Rome, or even Prison Break....something other than reality TV!!
    Edited on 08/19/2006 6:47am

vcm22

[20]Aug 20, 2006
    • level: 7
    do we know when the finale will air? Will this be a year from now?