Deadwood Forums

HBO (ended 2006)

Season 4

kristek

[1]May 12, 2006
    • level: 5

it looks like season 3 is the last, according to cnn hbo has released all the actors. thats upsetting. here's the link

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/TV/05/12/television.deadwood.reut/index.html
    Edited on 05/14/2006 8:21pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Giant_Chicken

[2]May 12, 2006
    • level: 21
    You can also find more information at www.darkhorizons.com, All actors of the show have been released from their contracts and are able to pursue other work. It is very sad to think that season 3 will be the last of Deadwood.

FrakkingFrakker

[3]May 13, 2006
    • level: 28
    Sad, yes,  especially given that it was only supposed to run 4 seasons anyway.

Giant_Chicken

[4]May 13, 2006
    I guess in real life the town of Deadwood burned to the ground after four short years. I would love to see a fourth and final season with a kick butt fire at the end.

FrakkingFrakker

[5]May 13, 2006
    That's what I'm saying. Just...didn't put it so eloquently.

Smarty-Pants

[6]May 13, 2006
    • level: 6
    This really sucks. Deadwood is such a great show. I agree it should run until the 4th season and end with the 1879 fire.

Giant_Chicken

[7]May 13, 2006
    Maybe the fire is at the end of the third season, but I am not going to get my hopes up... By the sound of things it seems that this move was somewhat unexpected. I just hope there is a proper conclusion to the show.

crayotic

[8]May 14, 2006
    • level: 4
    So first HBO cancel Carnivale one season short of a three season storyline, and now they're gonna do the same with Deadwood's 4-season one.

Do HBO just have a hard-on for leaving people on cliffhangers or something?

Can't say I'm none to impressed with this move. Now that means The Wire is the only thing left of the same quality there (and that'll most likely get canceled after this season). I like the other shows they got running, but they ain't no Deadwood

Giant_Chicken

[9]May 14, 2006

crayotic wrote:
    So first HBO cancel Carnivale one season short of a three season storyline, and now they're gonna do the same with Deadwood's 4-season one. Do HBO just have a hard-on for leaving people on cliffhangers or something? Can't say I'm none to impressed with this move. Now that means The Wire is the only thing left of the same quality there (and that'll most likely get canceled after this season). I like the other shows they got running, but they ain't no Deadwood

HBO is not making this decision.  It is the creator/director/writer of Deadwood.  He is pursing a new television series that will air on HBO.  I think that he owes his fans and followers a proper third (and final) season.  So lets keep our fingers crossed!

Mr_Bl0nde

[10]May 14, 2006
    • level: 6

crayotic wrote:
    So first HBO cancel Carnivale one season short of a three season storyline, and now they're gonna do the same with Deadwood's 4-season one.

Carnivale was not canceled one season short of completion. Mr. Knauf has said that carnivale was planned to happen in three parts. each of these parts consisted of two seasons. so in actuality, carnival was cut four seaon short of completion (i will hold a grudge with HBO for that for a very long time)

My problem is that as much as i loved carnivale and still hope to this day that it continues, i could sorta saw the logic in canceling it. Deadwood on the other hand is too much of an asset to HBO, as it is the soon to be heir of "the number one show"(in terms of ratings) title that the sopranos is relinquishing. i just have a feeling that This is all to ensure a stong fan base to feep deadwood alive not only through the 3rd but the forth season aswell. I hoppe that reports of cast members confriming the end of deadwood is simply them playing along knowing that it could boost ratings.

crayotic

[11]May 14, 2006
    Giant_Chicken wrote:

HBO is not making this decision.  It is the creator/director/writer of Deadwood.  He is pursing a new television series that will air on HBO.  I think that he owes his fans and followers a proper third (and final) season.  So lets keep our fingers crossed!

Well it then becomes a chicken or the egg situation.. is he developing a new series because he's tired of Deadwood.. or because HBO told him that they're planning on axing it?

And that's an interesting point Mr Blonde.. even though i'd have kinda expected the first "part" as it purpotedly was to wrap up a little cleaner. But yeah Deadwood isn't near Carnivale's ratings yet.. hell, it ain't even on air!

Giant_Chicken

[12]May 15, 2006
    From the two articles that I have read it appears that it is the creators decision and not HBO. But that is only how it appears...

crayotic

[13]May 15, 2006
    yeh i guess we'll never know for now.. could even be a bit of tricky media hype to drum up publicity for the third season

but if this is all true and it is Milch's decision, all i have to say is: "A surfing noir... honestly?"

amfarley84

[14]May 18, 2006
    i read somewhere a few months ago that they wanted a fourth season now they changed their minds that completely blows

joycough

[15]May 24, 2006
    • level: 10

Giant_Chicken wrote:

crayotic wrote:
    So first HBO cancel Carnivale one season short of a three season storyline, and now they're gonna do the same with Deadwood's 4-season one. Do HBO just have a hard-on for leaving people on cliffhangers or something? Can't say I'm none to impressed with this move. Now that means The Wire is the only thing left of the same quality there (and that'll most likely get canceled after this season). I like the other shows they got running, but they ain't no Deadwood

HBO is not making this decision. It is the creator/director/writer of Deadwood. He is pursing a new television series that will air on HBO. I think that he owes his fans and followers a proper third (and final) season. So lets keep our fingers crossed!

No it's NOT! It's HBO, they let the main actors contracts slide past the due date and if there were to be a 4th season they wanted to shorten it which the creator doesn't feel would do the show justice.

http://www.tv.com/story/story.html&story_id=4676?tag=headlines;title;0

Giant_Chicken

[16]May 25, 2006
    joycough wrote:
    Giant_Chicken wrote:

crayotic wrote:

HBO is not making this decision. It is the creator/director/writer of Deadwood. He is pursing a new television series that will air on HBO. I think that he owes his fans and followers a proper third (and final) season. So lets keep our fingers crossed!

No it's NOT! It's HBO, they let the main actors contracts slide past the due date and if there were to be a 4th season they wanted to shorten it which the creator doesn't feel would do the show justice.

http://www.tv.com/story/story.html&story_id=4676?tag=headlines;title;0

Joycough- you are correct the new article does say that HBO wanted to shorten the fourth season to 6 episodes and the creator decided to walk away rather than try and squeez his fourth and final chapter into 6 episodes.  There is still slim hope that we will eventually see a fourth season but the chances are very slim.  Lets hope for an awesome third season.

bbshenry

[17]May 27, 2006
    • level: 1

The folks at the community message board have created a website where you can pledge to cancel HBO the day after the last day of Deadwood's season 3

National Cancel HBO Day.

Pledge at HBONoMo. It's at http://www.hbonomo.com/.

Pledge, write a comment if you like, and please give the website guy 24-48 hours to process and post your name.

HENG DAI!!!

jmac4ever

[18]Jun 1, 2006
    • level: 5
    bbshenry wrote:

The folks at the community message board have created a website where you can pledge to cancel HBO the day after the last day of Deadwood's season 3

National Cancel HBO Day.

Pledge at HBONoMo. It's at http://www.hbonomo.com/.

Pledge, write a comment if you like, and please give the website guy 24-48 hours to process and post your name.

HENG DAI!!!

That would work except for this other little HBO show they've got coming back in January called The Sopranos.  Damn HBO!

bbshenry

[19]Jun 3, 2006
    I plan to rent the DVDs. Hey, they made us wait two years for the semi-final season of "Sopranos," so what's another wait? HBO fans are used to suffering for their art. My point is that HBO will not get another dime from me.  Period.  Go to http://www.savedeadwood.tv/ for ideas and discussion about saving DEADWOOD.

SophiaEllsworth

[20]Jul 3, 2006

IS A NEPOTIST AT THE HELM OF HBO?

It is curious that Chris Albrecht activates a publicity blitz for Entourage, which STARS HIS DAUGHTER, and cancels Season 4 Of Deadwood.

To offer to end the series with two movies is an insult to the superlative quality, critical acclaim and loyal following of this show.

NO MORE DEADWOOD?

NO MORE HBO!