Deadwood

Full Faith And Credit

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Jul 02, 2006 on HBO

• F****ng brilliant and a diamond in the f****ng rough - best drama on television in the last 12 months.

This review is actually for this episode and the two that come after it, because I feel things really started rolling with this one. Let\'s dispense with the niceties; dialogue has been getting clearer, while still remaining elusive and poetic - bonus point. Plot has been getting thick with hard emotions, with hard fists and hard foretelling. Bonus point two. Love and hate rule, and things are moving toward a crescendo so creepingly sharp that I have literally been catching myself tense up and rise up off my chair on a number of occasions and mutter to myself something like, well \"f**k...\"
    From the incredible hard fight between the colonel and Dan, to a tender moment between Jane and Joanie, and ever increasing impending doom of the camp, this show is the hard hitting monster of television right now, not only surpassing in these three episodes the highs it usually offered us maybe two or three times per season in the first two seasons, but far outgunning anything drama has or had to offer in the past 12 months.
    It\'s a keeper, and i see it captivating us until its violent, bitter end - which I will gladly stare down with my eyes wide open and mutter again \"Thank you so f****ng much Deadwood...\" Thank you indeed.
  • Confessions of a Deadwood Pimp and a deep look into the hearts of his fellow residents.

The Deadwood team delivers again and this time they manage to make even the least sympathetic of characters shine with true feeling. Joanie's struggle with giving up the schoolhouse furthers the conflict she has been having with her own lifestyle. Her need to be of some service to someone other than Tolliver and his whores allows the audience to see just how badly her life is going for her. Jane, unaware of this, reveals how dependant she has become on Joanie and her ever growing fondness for Mose. That is the power of the Deadwood writing staff. They can reveal so much with only a few lines of dialogue.

On the other side of Deadwood, Alma’s bank gives Ellesworth another place to assert his authority and make a stand for his wife even if it is a marriage based on something other than love. Alma seems to appreciate his concern for her and his deepening feelings for her. The previews for next week’s show can be played out either way. I for one hope that Ellesworth finds some amount of happiness with Alma in the coming weeks. I will also be watching Deadwood’s bank and its mounting number of transactions as this will no doubt lead to huge amounts of conflict as people become careless with their money.

Hostetler’s submission to Bullock was touching not only for his courage to face what happened but also of Bullock’s understanding of the circumstances that caused the tragedy. My hat is off to both of those actors. Steve, on the other hand, is just as ridiculous as ever as he attempts to blame others for all of the problems in his life. Bullock’s mediation of Hostetler’s problem with Steve is not only revealing of the two liverymen but also of Bullock. It shows that although he has a temper, he finds a touchstone in his wife and in Sol. With these two people to keep him in check, it is easy to see why he is a fine Sheriff and person.

Al’s conflict with Hearst is magnified by his “forced partnership” with Tolliver. Although both characters had reacted differently in previous episodes to the newfound “ruler” of Deadwood, the meeting underlined just how much they are each willing to take. Al steps up to Hearst even if it is with his back against the wall where no one can sneak up behind him. Meanwhile, Tolliver falls right into place and takes his place at the bottom of Hearst’s boot.

Finally, we get a glimpse into Al’s character as a whole. Throughout the episode he is made out to look like a savage as he deals with his problematic… “assistant”. It is only with his final glimpse into his own past that the audience begins to sympathize with him as he reveals to us how he felt when Hearst’s goon held him down. His memory of being held down shows us why he became the man he is today and it shows him that he is simply doing the same thing to the girls in his saloon. He realizes just how terribly he treats others but with a final shot, he submits to what he sees as his fate to become an evil man himself.
  • Another episode that's all about character development.

While it's not as strong or as funny as last week's episode, Full Faith and Credit is a damn fine effort on the part of all concerned. Al's character is developed considerably and we begin to get an understanding of exactly how much Hearst's attack has upset him. As you'd imagine, everyone else takes a back seat during all of this.

Election-wise, it looks like Bullock is the only man for sheriff, despite his little... anger problem. Indeed, it seems to have knocked a bit of sense into Steve. Hopefully the writers will spend a bit of time exploring that whole racial issue next week.