Deadwood

HBO (ended 2006)

Deadwood Fan Reviews (84)

• Indecisive about Deadwood

I am a huge Timothy Olyphant fan, but I had not had a chance to watch Deadwood when it was on HBO. I know it's been off the air for 6 years now, but I bought the first season to see if I would like it. I don't know what it is about the series, but there is just something off about it and I love westerns and I love HBO. Don't get me wrong, there are some incredible actors on the series, but I believe it is the dialogue. Does Ian McShane (Al Swearengen -no pun intended) really need to say "Fucking" or "Cocksucker" in every sentence?? Did they actually use the words "blow job" and "dyke" in the 1860's? I looked up how people spoke then (about sex) and could not find any of these words listed. Did anyone really talk like William Sanderson (Farnum), talking a lot and saying nothing, I got confused over what his actual point that his conversation was supposed to have a lot of the time. Ian McShane's first scene with his whore Trixie (Paula Malcomson ) felt more like a rape scene than him just having sex with one of his whores. I, though, really enjoyed Keith Carradine's "WIld Bill Hickock" and Olyphant's "Seth Bullock". Ray McKinnon's (Reverend Smith) was the most irritating character so far (Besides McShane's), so much so I would fast forward past his parts in the show. Other characters I loved (Sol Star, Alma, Doc Cochran, Charlie Utter (love Dayton Callie on Sons of Anarchy), and Robin Weigert as Calamity Jane was hilarious at times. There were certainly some very good parts in each episode that made it worth watching, but there were also parts that I found that I didn't like and waned my interest over time. I haven't decided whether or not to buy season 2 and 3, but I probably will just to watch Tim Olyphant in action. I wish that the series would have come to completion before ending, but I can understand why it was cancelled. On the bright side -- watch JUSTIFIED - it's AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!! on FX.